Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaun the Sheep Movie (2015)

Shaun the Sheep Movie (2015)

There are two things to know about Shaun the Sheep Movie: It’s from Aardman Animation, the studio responsible for the Wallace and Gromit films, and it has no dialogue. These two items are enough to tell you whether you want to see it or not, really. I wanted to see it. Although Aardman’s output isn’t reliable (I didn’t think much of Chicken Run), its writing is usually clever enough to take a chance on. I wondered if it would still deliver the wit in the absence of any dialogue.

It’s not as clever as its Wallace and Gromit brethren, not even judging strictly by visuals, but it’s cute enough, and the pacing, which can be everything in a movie with no narration or dialogue, is pleasant. The film is delivered mostly from Shaun’s point of view, making it a real challenge to feel anything for any of the characters, and this is its greatest shortcoming. I was amused and entertained, but I didn’t feel invested in the outcome.

You could do a lot worse, but my guess is that whatever your options on any given day, you could also do a lot better.

6/10 (IMDb rating)
    62/100 (Criticker rating)
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com
Working...
X