X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• helen
    replied
    Re: Star Trek Beyond

I was going through my DVD collection and this movie is missing from that collection. I will plan on getting get sooner or later.

Of course I could always get it thru iTunes.

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

You know, that slow pace is one of my problems with the original series. I'm a patient viewer, but I think most of the season 1 episodes (and I'm still working my way through that season) stretch 45 minutes' worth of TV into 60 minutes.

My other complaint about season 1 is the music. It's so loud and overly dramatic. But I'll save those thoughts for another day.

We should do a rank-the-star-trek-films thread. I'll post one tonight.

Leave a comment:

• mel
    replied

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
    I find it interesting that hardcore Star Trek fans like helen and mel seem less than joyous about this one, while I, a casual fan who's seen all the films but very little of the TV series, am considering buying it so I can see it twenty times.
    Just to be a completist, I'll wait for Paramount to bundle the 3 latest Star Trek movies into a DVD set if it hasn't done so already. I guess I am too much of an old school purist to really get into these re-boots. I like the slower pace of the originals. Maybe that's it.

Overall though, they are part of the Star Trek universe and worth having in any collection.

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

I find it interesting that hardcore Star Trek fans like helen and mel seem less than joyous about this one, while I, a casual fan who's seen all the films but very little of the TV series, am considering buying it so I can see it twenty times.

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

Star Trek Beyond (2016)
    Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Simon Pegg, Zoe Saldana, John Cho, Karl Urban, Anton Yelchin, Sofia Boutella, Idris Elba. Written by Simon Pegg and Doug Jung. Directed by Justin Lin.

James Kirk and the crew of the Enterprise travel into an unstable nebula to help the captain of a disabled starship recover her crew. Things go horribly wrong, the crew is forced to abandon ship, the officers are separated by circumstances into pairs, a new ally is encountered, new enemies announce themselves, and everyone including thousands of people living on a brand-new space station is threatened by a horrible bio-weapon.

The Star Trek people are just crushing it with this reboot film series. These new stories, this new cast, and the new look and feel of the Enterprise combine to make some of the best escapist sci-fi I’ve ever seen. The films build upon the good feelings people already have for Captain Kirk and his crew, so that even while we’re watching new actors in old roles, everything feels fresh and familiar, rather than recycled or tired. The characters’ new facets feel exactly right, either because of underexplored elements from earlier work—such as Uhura’s relationship with Spock, slightly teased in the first few episodes of the classic television series—or because of new knowledge about the overall Star Trek universe, as when Sulu’s homosexual relationship pays tribute to original Sulu actor George Takei.

I’m not even a real Trekker, but my affection for the characters is so strong (and honestly, I don’t know where this came from) that when Kirk addresses his crew at the outset of a journey into uncharted space, he says, “The Enterprise has something no other ship in the fleet has: you,” and it’s a touching and inspiring moment. This dependence on his crew, and its members’ dependence upon one another, is a recurring theme. As the movie progresses, different combinations of crew members drive home the message that they respect, admire, love, and count on each other, and that this is why Enterprise has endured for these many decades. Add the real-life death of actors Leonard Nimoy and Anton Yelchin, whose Checkov will not be recast in future films, and a lovely voiceover on the “Space: the final frontier” intro, and it’s nearly impossible not to feel a warm nostalgia or an almost urgent desire to see more films with this cast.

The Chris-Pine-Zachary-Quinto partnership is again excellent here, but there are also great scenes with Quinto and Karl Urban, Pine and Yelchin, and Simon Pegg with Sofia Boutella, who plays a crash survivor joining the Enterprise crew against its current enemy. But props to the whole cast, every one of whom (except maybe Idris Elba) does a terrific job. Star Trek movies never get their due during awards season, but I will be royally peeved if there isn’t an ensemble nomination somewhere this time around.

8/10 (IMDb rating)
    82/100 (Criticker rating)

Leave a comment:

• mel
    replied

Of the three J.J. Abrams Star Trek movies, this is the least satisfying though it has a few moments where homage is paid once again to the originals. Give it only a 6 of 10 stars and would not pay to see it again in a theater.

Leave a comment:

• helen
    replied

Saw it for the second time on Monday (7/25/16) at the Ward Theater. As a popcorn munching action flic with some humorous dialogue on the side it does the job. It only after you leave the movie then you ponder why some parts have plot holes and towards the end of movie you need to ask "shouldn't there be a hole here?".

Leave a comment:

• helen
    started a topic Star Trek Beyond

Star Trek Beyond

Saw the movie Star Trek Beyond at the Ward Theater this afternoon (7/23/16) with a friend.

This movie is a sequel to the movies Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness so it would be best if you are familiar with those movies as well as the Original Series and Star Trek: Enterprise.

The movie sort of starts out with the USS Enterprise heading somewhere to go and rescue a ship from another race only to be attacked by someone else that really damages the Enterprise, causing the crew to abandon ship and be stuck on a hostile planet.

The rest of movie is the crew of the Enterprise figuring out what to do to get home and give the villain of the movie a hard time.

If you like space opera, action. scifi and/or Star Trek in general then this movie should interest you.
Working...
X