'Next Door' in chinatown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 'Next Door' in chinatown

It's that time of the month again Ladies and Gents! First Friday in Chinatown! November 4, 2006! It's filled with Arts, Crafts, Night Spots too. There's also places where you can get your hair done, clothes to buy, pupus and wine to drink while you shop or look at merchadise.

Komo mai, no be shy. Say hello if you see me...I'll take your pic too!

Auntie Lynn of Chinatown
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I been to "Next Door" at the last film festival. Its not bad. They have regular chairs so its ok as far as seating. The screen was at a higher angle so it may not be to everyone's liking.

The bathroom is not sectioned off completely so you can hear the toilets flush. I could smell someone smoking during the screening and later I noticed a person smoking in the bathroom.

These aren't really complaints but just stuff I notice. Some folks will not like it though.

Comment

Originally posted by i-hungry
        I been to "Next Door" at the last film festival. Its not bad. They have regular chairs so its ok as far as seating. The screen was at a higher angle so it may not be to everyone's liking.

The bathroom is not sectioned off completely so you can hear the toilets flush. I could smell someone smoking during the screening and later I noticed a person smoking in the bathroom.

These aren't really complaints but just stuff I notice. Some folks will not like it though.
        For the past several First Nights and weekend nights, Next Door is turned into a Night Club with DJ. It's always busy with a great crowd!

Once again...just a reminder, First Friday is tonight!

Auntie Lynn of Chinatown!

Comment

Aloha Everyone! It's Valentine's Month and First Friday in Chinatown tonight! Should be quite interesting with lots of merchandise to get your special someone a gift for Valentines Day!

The nightclubs are becoming more packed. I ventured in Bar35 and Next Door on Chinese News Years. Bar35 goes all the way in the back with a beautiful Patio Bar. The decor and seating is relaxing. The Doormen at Bar35 is handsome!

Next Door is watched by Big Bouncers so theres no problem with security.heheheh The place is quite the opposite of Bar35 with a style all it's own. Laid back and rocking just the same.

Upstairs -- uh, I dunno. Kinda like a Punk Rock Place. By the time I walked up...I was to tired to look around.

Anyways, I'm going tonight to get a more detailed review of the places. If I can get away from "my" stomping grounds. And if I can remain sober.

Have a great Aloha Friday and a Safe weekend,

Auntie Lynn
          Last edited by 1stwahine; February 3, 2006, 05:03 AM.

Comment

...oooh my head is hurting! I had FUN! First Friday was a Blast once again. More people than ever before. The streets were overflowing. The nightclubs and bars were packed.heheheh I went to all. Met some really nice folks from here and visitors from all over!

Pictures are on my Blog.
            http://www.auntiepupule.com/blog

Auntie Lynn

Comment

I haven't gone to a First Friday in Chinatown since the Sgt. Major incident. heheheh Well, tonight I shall go and take a cruise to see what's happening.

Yep, tonight is First Friday in Chinatown! Lots of action, foods, arts, crafts and interesting people!

Watch out...Lady pUpule is on da LOOSE!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Hey Auntie...the April issue of Sunset magazine, devotes 3/4 of a page to this event...page 28. It calls Chinatown "Honolulu's art capital". The article is written by the Advertiser's Derek Paiva and can be read online HERE but it doesn't show the map that appears in the hard copy version.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                  Hey Auntie...the April issue of Sunset magazine, devotes 3/4 of a page to this event...page 28. It calls Chinatown "Honolulu's art capital". The article is written by the Advertiser's Derek Paiva and can be read online HERE but it doesn't show the map that appears in the hard copy version.
                  Nice article. My blog gives a more detailed look of the happenings from mine eyes and ears. I've been going for a long time. I changed my mind to go to last night's event.

Maybe next month. I need to get one of the whatchamacallits that PZ has to Video the action! I can also Video the behind the scenes where nobody can go except a chosen few.

Auntie Lynn of Chinatown

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine

Auntie Lynn
                    Great meeting you today , but please don't poke me wit da spear li'dat.
                    Chinatown IS our avant garde and modern art mecca!
                    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man
                      Great meeting you today , but please don't poke me wit da spear li'dat.
                      Chinatown IS our avant garde and modern art mecca!
                      You're JOKING right? About Chinatown being "our avant garde and modern art mecca?"

ROFLMAO

...das what dey want everybody to believe. Until they clean up the area and get things done, Chinatown will ways be Chinatown! First Night will always be a one night affair every month.

Sad but TRUE.

It was great meeting you and your Mrs. too.

As for my spear. I'm Aunty Lynn of Chinatown ~ it comes with my costume. I use it when I have to to fight Crime and Illegal Activities in my Beloved Chinatown! Whack Whacks!

Comment

I think it's not "Let out of the bag" enough, but Chinatown IS where the artists of today are making a mark. And by mark I don't mean 'tag'. I know of the other problems with that area, but in most cities, it's the other non-mainstream areas that the artists get to shine, as it seams to be there. True?
                        Last edited by Menehune Man; April 9, 2006, 09:06 PM. Reason: Think I got it...
                        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

(cough,cough) On any given day or night, a few stragglers go into the art/craft shops. My friend, "Roy" who had a shop there for many years has now gone out of bussiness and has not been seen for the past two months. I dunno wat happen. I thought he was making BIG bucks! Apparently not.

Once again, I say it's a once or twice a month affair.

Hopefully, things will get better. Hopefully, the economy will improve. Hopefully, people will appreciate and value ART.

Hopefully.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Tonight is First Friday in Chinatown/Downtown!

In the StarBulletin: http://starbulletin.com/2006/07/07/f...s/story08.html

Next Door is a place to go to if you want good fun and action!

The arts and crafts are always fun to check out. The foods - so many to choose from. Entertainment ~ many!!!!

No worries about safety. HPD will be in full force.

It's always a night of good cheer and arts in Chinatown/Downtown!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Once again First Friday was a success! The shooting that occurred this past week didn't stop the people from coming to venture into Chinatown/Downtown!

The streets were bustling with eager and happy people. All going in and out of the various arts, craft, nightclubs, bars and eatries. The lines to go into Bar35 and Next Door - something to behold. HPD Officers had to remind those on the sidewalks waiting to get in to make room for those passing by.

On Nuuanu and Pauahi, lines just the same for the various Arts Galleries and Marks Garage. Yep! First Friday is a success!

As for me...I went all ova. Visiting friends and talking story. My last stop was Next Door. Chris the owner and girlfriend Lacy bought me a drink. The place was packed once again. Everyone dancing and being friendly. It was hard to walk through the crowd to get back outside.

I left First Friday early. I getting old. The younger crowd has more energy than me thats for sure.

Until next month. This is Auntie Lynn of Chinatown reporting.

Comment

Just a reminder. August First Friday is tonight!

Have FuN!

Happy 27th Birthday Lei Liko!!!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Working...
                                X