X-Men: The Last Stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X-Men: The Last Stand

Saw the movie X-Men: The Last Stand at Ward Theatre this afternoon.

If you a fan of the X-Men comics during the late 70's to 1980's you might be disappointed in the way the Dark Phoenix saga was played out in this movie but given that the movie series doesn't touch on the dealings with extraterrestrials maybe this is for the best.

On the other hand other X-Men supporting characters and other stuff make apperences in this movie as well the typical comic book type epic battle scene make this movie enjoyable.

One final thing if you do go to this movie stick around when the credits roll because there is a scene at the end.

Re: X-Men: The Last Stand

Aren't people bored with these lame comic book themed movies yet?
    Got this quote from the Superman Returns thread. I guess not. X-3 made over $120 million this weekend, more that MI:3 and Da Vinci Wow!
    Last edited by alohabear; May 30, 2006, 05:49 AM.
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Comment

Saw it on Friday. Theater was packed. That's okay though because I like watching with more people than just my parents.

I enjoyed the movie in terms of action and junk. Storywise and characterwise it felt thrown together. Mainly the usage of some characters irritated me...mostly because mutants were underused. Kind of miffed that a bunch of mutants popped up only to be killed (like when three certain mutants just get disintegrated like no one's business at the end).

I thought Angel was gonna play some super huge part in the movie with the way he was publicized by some of those crappy entertainment shows (as if they should really be listened to). He sparked some important things, the reason for making the cure and I suppose the idea to keep the school open, but didn't do much of anything otherwise. I was kind of expecting him to fight along side the X-Men. Not that big of a deal, I guess. By the same token, I was sad that Colossus didn't do much except throw Wolverine around. I'm disappointed that the apparent Colossus vs. Juggernaut fight was cut.

Cyclops goes really early...especially for someone that I've always perceived as a huge part of the whole Phoenix thing in the first place. I started chuckling because the scene where Jean is seducing Wolverine reminded me of Famke playing Xenia Onatopp. But I don't like that Cyclops took a huge back seat for that Jean/Wolverine love story.

There was the Iceman/Rogue/Kitty love triangle...despite the fact that one side of the triangle was practically missing the entire time. I know Rogue had the whole first movie to play a key part, but she did little to nothing in this movie and she was always my favorite character from the cartoon. I've got nothing against Shadowcat/Kitty Pryde (I was getting really annoyed with some people sitting behind me who kept saying junk like "she looks like she's 10!"), she had that cute comeback against da Jugganaut, *****. But it just seemed like she completely replaced Rogue which annoyed me. Then again, Rogue seems useless without the powers she got from Ms. Marvel, and with what happened to her at the end...well at least it doesn't seem to be permanent.

I was kind of surprised with Xavier. Just the way he talked to Wolverine rather venomously at points shocked me since I never really knew an incarnation of Xavier that was ...well...mean. Not that it really bothered me, just something that stuck with me when I saw it because I didn't expect it.

I felt sad for Magneto at the end. Just because he looked so sad and lonely as a normal old man. I was surprised that he just abandoned Mystique like that. After the way they worked together in the other two movies, I would think he'd at least...I dunno...give her some clothes or something. And I figured he'd do a little more for Xavier when Jean was killing him...or at least have a more pained reaction, just something.

Action-wise, I've got nothing to really complain about, other than I wished I could've seen more of the other mutants like Psylocke, or seen some of my favorites used more. I saw Jubilee's name in the credits and didn't even remember seeing her in the movie, but she was probably in the classroom scene, like she always is.

After seeing Ellen Page as Kitty Pryde, I can't really imagine Maggie Grace in that role at all. I remember when they wanted her to play Kitty back when she was finishing up on Lost. Beast was too great, loved him. I enjoy how his hair seems to defy gravity, hehe. Juggernaut said THE fanservice line but the voice wasn't working for me, only because I was so used to the dub voice and the cartoon voice to an extent.

It just wasn't really satisfying character wise. Story concept was good, just not executed very well. Some mutants were vastly underused. There's more I could say but I'll leave it at that. They certainly left it open enough for another movie with the effects of the cure at the end and the scene after the credits. Personally, I don't want them to keep going. They should just stick to the spin offs, if anything.
      myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

Originally posted by kupomog
        After seeing Ellen Page as Kitty Pryde, I can't really imagine Maggie Grace in that role at all. I remember when they wanted her to play Kitty back when she was finishing up on Lost.
        Maggie Grace is kind of too old for role of Kitty Pryde at least during the time Kitty first starts up with the X-Men. I thought the actress who played her as about the right age and size.

Did like the chase scene between Kitty and Juggernaut.

Comment

As far as looks go, Grace wouldn't have had much of a problem. Height-wise, maybe since she's nearly 9 inches taller than Page, but considering the liberties taken with other characters with looks, age, in some cases even mutant abilities and sex... doubt that would've really mattered. They can make a 23 year old actrees look like a teen easily. Grace doesn't look that old to begin with.

I just don't think she would've fit in terms of acting. Page did a fantastic job to me. I've only seen Grace act in Oliver Beene, Lost, and The Fog and while I don't see anything really wrong with her acting, Page was just perfectly cast.
          myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

yeah i was pretty disappointed by the movie..i mean juggernaut is one of the most strongest beings on the planet..and he seemed like a wimp(plus he aint no mutant).

Yeah I totally agree that they didn't utilize other xmen at all..i mean did angel and colassus even have to be in the movie....Shadow cat got some action but no one went into detail about her story..not like Nightcrawler...

I also didn't like how easily the othe mutants were getting taken out by like 3 xmen..don't those mutants have powers too..

really felt disappointed..they could have gotten a nice story line out of the phonexi..but they ended it pretty easily..i mean why did they even call it xmen 3..they should have just called it "Wolverine"...the guy is suppose to be 5ft tall not 6'3...

Hopefully they will make a xmen (w/out wolverine) against the brood..can make it very much like "Aliens"....
            'If you have a problem. If no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire, The A Team"

Comment

I think the presence of Angel in this movie was to validate the company that made the cure and maybe if a sequel happens you have at least somebody you can bankroll the X-Men.

As far as Angel not going on the mission, he was kind of new, he just moved in and had no combat experience and no idea on his training.

However he must have heavy duty tail winds when flying from New York to San Fransisco, he only arrived minutes later after the X-Men who flew on a supersonic jet to get there.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                One final thing if you do go to this movie stick around when the credits roll because there is a scene at the end.
                Just to be sure: There's an "extra" scene after the credits roll? I'm going to see it and don't want to get too spoiled. Just checking to see if we should wait til after the credits or not

Comment

The scene comes on after the credits are finished.

Comment

Verra cool! Thanks helen !

Comment

The DVD for this movie comes on October 3. TV ads says it contains 10 deleted scenes and 3 alternate endings.

Comment

I just got it this morning. We shall see how it is. It doesn't matter because alo the testosterone in my house will love it good or bad!
                        Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                        Sharing withother survivors...
                        www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

This movie was really bad in my opinion.

That fag actor didn't want to go through the long hours of makeup so this great character, Nightcrawler, that appeared in part 2 is no where to be found. What a lame actor and director for not finding a replacement.

This movie made no sense. What would the X-men care if Magneto and his cronies go and destroy the cure. And why would Magneto even bother using all those lame mutants to fight when he's gotten the trump card, Pheonix (Jean Grey). Again.. makes no sense.

***why move a bridge when you can just fly there? typical of a really shitty director.

Juggernaut was sooooo poorly done. The design of his costume was wack. Straight up.

What's up with beast being that blue.. yeah he was blue in the comics but couldn't they have reappropriated the look so he didn't look like a hairy blue man group. You'd think cause he is supposed to be someone that the humans take serious they'd make him look less weird. Hairy is fine.. blue man group blue= bad. Also that is the same blue they used on Mystique.. bad call!

Another role where Storm is so lame. In the comic book she was exotic.. had an accent and was a much older and greater leader. They took such a great character and dumbed her down.

Angel was also a shame. They made him this borderline emo kid that when his time for glory came was just about his ability to fly and save his dad. How lame!

That director needs to be hung in public for ruining such a great saga. They need to go back to the original fag director Brian Singer and redo The Last Stand.

***Also, what's up with the failed CG attempt at trying to make those old geezers young.. it was hella creepy when they showed them two schleps going to recruit Jean Grey as a young girl. Besides obsessing over a little girl, it was creepy to see these two with their faces all shiny and soft. Very disturbing look.

Two big fat thumbs down!

Comment

Again, please mind your language, KB. You can write a constructive review without throwing "fag" all over it - or is that more of your "art"?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                              Again, please mind your language, KB. You can write a constructive review without throwing "fag" all over it - or is that more of your "art"?
                              that "is that more of your 'art'..." mockery was so unnecessary. Thanks for ruining this thread Ban me... I don't give a rat's ass. It'll just prove my point about censorship in the graffiti thread.

FYI: get a life! fag!

Comment

Working...
                              X