Are American studios out of ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are American studios out of ideas?

The amounts of sequels, prequels, trilogies, etc. has been ridic as of late. I am not spending 8 bucks or 2+ hours to see a 80-year old Stallone in another Rambo, Rocky, or whatever he comes up with. Nor do I want to see another movie based on a Marvel comic book. And movies based on or inspired by books are not what's good with the diminishing reading abilities of this country's kids.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Re: Are American studios out of ideas?

Have you tried the Indie/Foreign market?

Comment

Studios here in the good ol US of A has definately run itself into a brick wall years ago.

I mean run out of IDEAS that is....

Studios wants to make this ----> $$$$

So that is why there is sooooooooooo much of this ---> Sequels, Remakes , slews of lame PG-13 horror flicks, and haaaay wasn't this done already but changed around? The movie going public is not fooled.

Comment

yes.period.
        http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
        Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
        Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
          yes.period.

+1

Seems as though there are no original thoughts anymore. Pretty sad.
          flickr

An email from God:
          To: People of Earth
          Date: 9/04/2007
          Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
          God

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
            +1

Seems as though there are no original thoughts anymore. Pretty sad.

It's out there
            It's just the studios are not willing to fund them

Comment

Originally posted by DannyWilliams View Post
              It's out there
              It's just the studios are not willing to fund them
              Exactly right Danny. Why risk big money making high art for a viewing audience primarily composed of semi-literates?
              “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
              http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

I know what you mean, but theres diamonds out there - you just need to know where to look. If, however, you only go to movies like Norbit, Daredevil, or Lady in the Water, you are asking for it =P
                The awesome thing is that technology is getting closer to consumers, or consumers are getting better - there are some awesome fanfilm/amateur stuff out there. Heres hoping that one day ppl will be self-releasing some interesting stuff.
                Try googling batman: dead end, grayson, haloid to see what i mean.
                Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
                  Have you tried the Indie/Foreign market?
                  Yes, but demand that the mainstream heads come up with something worthwhile if they pay actors beaucoup bucks, and charge us likewise.

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                    The amounts of sequels, prequels, trilogies, etc. has been ridic as of late. I am not spending 8 bucks or 2+ hours to see a 80-year old Stallone in another Rambo, Rocky, or whatever he comes up with. Nor do I want to see another movie based on a Marvel comic book. And movies based on or inspired by books are not what's good with the diminishing reading abilities of this country's kids.
                    Aside from Star Wars, what other original non-adapted films are there?

Most likely I won't see them because I'm not a mainstream fan but a genre fan.
                    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by DannyWilliams View Post
                      haaaay wasn't this done already but changed around? The movie going public is not fooled.
                      I believe they younger ones in their early twenty's or teens are fooled. They seem so clueless about pop culture that these old and tried ideas are new to them. Don't believe me? Look at local music, many young people think those awful jawaiian covers are new songs. Media markets to the clueless.
                      Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                      Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                        Aside from Star Wars, what other original non-adapted films are there?

Most likely I won't see them because I'm not a mainstream fan but a genre fan.
                        "Bamboozled", just off the top of my head.

flickr

Comment

Don't forget remakes. Lately, there has been a lot of Hollywood remakes of foreign films. The thinking is that Americans don't watch foreign films, so a remake (with an American slant) will register as something new to American audiences. No need for original screenplays.

The Asian film industry, in particular, is experiencing a boom, and Hollywood has pounced on it. "The Ring" is a good example of a Hollywood remake, with a slew of subsequent J-Horror (and K-Horror) remakes following "The Ring" success. "The Departed," this year's Academy Award "Best Picture" winner, is a remake of a Hong Kong film (or series of films). And "Shall We Dance" (with Richard Gere) is a remake of a Japanese film.

Has Hollywood lost its creativity? I think the answer is Yes. What it does have, on the other hand, is tons of sophisticated computer graphics, name actors, and lots of money. It is, after all, a consumer-driven industry. And, for better or worse, that's what Hollywood does best.

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                            Don't forget remakes. Lately, there has been a lot of Hollywood remakes of foreign films. The thinking is that Americans don't watch foreign films, so a remake (with an American slant) will register as something new to American audiences. No need for original screenplays.

The Asian film industry, in particular, is experiencing a boom, and Hollywood has pounced on it. "The Ring" is a good example of a Hollywood remake, with a slew of subsequent J-Horror (and K-Horror) remakes following "The Ring" success. "The Departed," this year's Academy Award "Best Picture" winner, is a remake of a Hong Kong film (or series of films). And "Shall We Dance" (with Richard Gere) is a remake of a Japanese film.

Has Hollywood lost its creativity? I think the answer is Yes. What it does have, on the other hand, is tons of sophisticated computer graphics, name actors, and lots of money. It is, after all, a consumer-driven industry. And, for better or worse, that's what Hollywood does best.
                            Pun intended?

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
                              I believe they younger ones in their early twenty's or teens are fooled. They seem so clueless about pop culture that these old and tried ideas are new to them. Don't believe me? Look at local music, many young people think those awful jawaiian covers are new songs. Media markets to the clueless.
                              Case in point...The Dukes of Hazzard starring Jessica Simpson...

Does it get any worse ?
                              http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                              Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                              Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Working...
                              X