X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Princess Ka'iulani film

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...0373/1001/NEWS

I am so excited about this film!

How do the native Hawaiians feel about the Princess being played by a non-Hawaiian? I seem to remember some controversy a few years back when there was talk of a movie about Kamehameha with Dwayne Johnson AKA The Rock (another non-Hawaiian) playing the lead role.

I love The Rock and Q'orianka - who both have Hawai'i links and have lived in the islands at some time in their lives - but I'm not Hawaiian. If they were playing Maori royalty, I may have a problem with that too.

It's funny that when our Maori actors go to Hollywood (see the Once Were Warriors thread) they have been cast as Mexicans, Columbians, Arabs and Indians (both native American and from India) - just off the top of my head. But in Aotearoa, they wouldn't play anything but a Maori.
    Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
    My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Re: Princess Ka'iulani film

Those Hawaiians that had a problem with the Rock playing king Kamehameha had issues not just because he was a non-hawaiian, but because he was Samoan.

Q'orianka is amazingly beautiful!

Comment

Wow! What an incredible break for the 12-year old girl who plays young Kailulani!
      "Luke, help me take this mask off. Just for once, let me look at you with my own eyes. No, it turns the other way, Luke. To the left. No, to your left. Push down and twist. Line up the little arrows. Never mind, I'll do it."

Comment

Forby is "taking a chance on Kaimana" to play the young princess, and won't take such chances when it comes to kanaka factor when the princess grows into womanhood (when the role really counts). But hey, as long as we drop "indigenous rights championing" re: the talented young actress slated to play Vike in her prime, he's covered his bases, right? *sigh* apparently no Hawaiian female exists worthy enough to portray our last princess. Is there truly such a dearth amongst our women? I find this so deeply disturbing that I do not plan on seeing the film.

With all of this talk of Once Were Warriors, I wouldn't be suprised if he considered Rena Owens to play Likelike. Or Lili'u.

(((glowers)))

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
          Forby is "taking a chance on Kaimana" to play the young princess, and won't take such chances when it comes to kanaka factor when the princess grows into womanhood (when the role really counts).[...]
          I think you might've answered your own question, PM, with "when the role really counts". Yes, there really is a dearth of Hawaiian female actresses here. An additional limitation for this film is age. From a producer's point of view, the role of Princess Ka`iulani at that age requires strong acting chops and a track record. Taking a risk on one completely inexperienced actor is a huge gamble. Taking a risk on 2 for the title role would be the equivalent of shooting oneself in both feet then immediately trying to run a marathon. Then factor in this: "It wasn't until that day at the palace that I decided what would be my directorial debut," said Forby. It's Forby's first directorial effort. Another huge risk!

Yes, I understand exactly where you're coming from and I agree with you in theory but theory and filmmaking tend to be polar opposites; dramatic license being what it is!

BTW...a piece of minor trivia...the 17 year old's cousin is the singer, Jewel. Well, her mother's cousin, I should say! This young lady has lived a very alternative lifestyle during her short life. I have deep misgivings about her becoming too successful too soon and I wish her the best.

Comment

I'm still puzzled as to where Forby saw a portrait of Kaiulani at Iolani Palace. As a docent there for over 5 years, I was pretty familiar will all the rooms - don't recall a single picture of her. There may be one somewhere in the basement galleries now but upstairs? I don't recall any, anywhere. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

The reason I bring this up is because it bothers me - if he can't remember where he saw the picture correctly, why would anyone trust him to tell the story correctly? and I've been told by many that it is not proper for anyone to "portray" one of the Ali`i.
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

An additional limitation for this film is age.
              So basically, Kelly Hu & Tia Carrera are too old. Oh, I just read Tia's bio and she's not Hawaiian either.

Pua'i Mana'o - any ideas on who you would cast in the lead role if you had the power?

BTW...a piece of minor trivia...the 17 year old's cousin is the singer, Jewel.
              I'm not surprised as Q'orianka has a really good voice too. I saw her on one of the late night shows talking about when she was a small kid and she used to busk at Waikiki and could bring in up to $1,000 A DAY! Of course they asked her to sing and she did a great inpromptu performance of a jazz song. It was the same song she sang to snare the role of Pocahontas. During the audition/screen test process, the Producers weren't sure she could handle playing Pocahontas in the later years since she herself was still only 14 but when she sang the song, she demonstrated a maturity beyond her years so they ended up giving her the part.
              My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

If we are talking about hiring someone purely on their acting background and ability then Q'orianka doesn't have much of a filmography. Q'orianka was a huge risk for The New World AND an unknown actress. They still casted her for the biggest part in the movie, Pocahontas.

Her Filmography according to IMDB.com:

The New World (2005) .... Pocahontas
                "Madison Heights" .... Maria Betancourt (1 episode, 2002)
                - Small World (2002) TV Episode (as Q'Orianka) .... Maria Betancourt
                How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000) .... Little Choir Member
                ... aka The Grinch (Australia) (UK) (USA: promotional title)
                ... aka Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas (USA: complete title)
                ... aka Grinch, Der (Germany)

There isn't a hapa/part-Hawaiian actress anywhere that can play this very important woman? I also find it hard to believe. There has to be someone. Use makeup to enhance their "Hawaiianess" if needed, they do it for other films why not this one? If not a hapa/part-Hawaiian actress then at least a half Polynesian woman. As a true hapa, Ka'iulani was very Hawaiian in features as much as haole. If they found the right woman couldn't they train her and make her right for the roll much as they did with Q'orianka for The New World?

I understand that sometimes a person of a different ethnicity will be chosen because they look more like the person to be portrayed than anyone else. Q'orianka does not look much like Ka'iulani to me. Q'orianka has great beauty but a different kind of beauty than Ka'iulani. I don't think native Americans and native Hawaiians look anything alike.

Just incase people around the world aren't confused enough about how a Hawaiian looks like.

They should have made the casting call for this movie very known on the islands, advertised very publicly. A movie about a Hawaiian monarch, a chance to educate the world about Hawaiians, and we got a Peruvian mixed girl playing her. Wonder who they are going to cast for the rest of the monarchy?
                Last edited by Lei K; June 13, 2007, 09:18 AM. Reason: Spelling. It's THEY not THE. Duh!
                I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                  I think you might've answered your own question, PM, with "when the role really counts". Yes, there really is a dearth of Hawaiian female actresses here.
                  Originally posted by kiwidiva View Post
                  any ideas on who you would cast in the lead role if you had the power?
                  Hawaiians in theatre will be found in Hawaiian theatre: the halau hula. Even in my limited network of hula peepz throughout the isles (you would be suprised), I've been responded to 6 times since last night and no one claims to have known about auditions for this role.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by kiwidiva View Post
                    Oh, I just read Tia's bio and she's not Hawaiian either.
                    Is Tia actually part-Hawaiian? So confusing. Woman was listed as Spanish-Chinese-Filipino then all the sudden she was Hawaiian-Spanish-Chinese-Filipino and now she's listed on somethings with the Hawaiian and others without the Hawaiian.

She isn't one of those kama`aina who left the islands and suddenly became native Hawaiian, is she?

Another confusing one is Kelly Preston but I'm more sure she is part-Hawaiian than I am Tia.

Anyone know what's up with these two?

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                      I'm still puzzled as to where Forby saw a portrait of Kaiulani at Iolani Palace. As a docent there for over 5 years, I was pretty familiar will all the rooms - don't recall a single picture of her. There may be one somewhere in the basement galleries now but upstairs? I don't recall any, anywhere. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
                      Fran, I went to Princess Kaiulani Elementary School from Kindergarten and grew up seeing her pictures. I also visited Iolani Palace many times on school excursions and always asked why there were no pictures of the Princess. There are no actresses who could play her. She was Special and BEAUTIFUL!

Lynn
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Quote from Marc Forby, Star Bulletin 10/13/2005

http://starbulletin.com/2005/10/13/f...s/story02.html

Young local actress Cheyenne Kanani Pohuehue Murray has been cast to portray the princess at age 12. Next week, Forby will audition actresses to portray Kaiulani as a young woman.

Several principal roles, including Queen Liliuokalani and hundreds of extras, will be cast later. Forby said the casting of some Hollywood stars will be announced in the spring.

The search for Kaiulani is beginning months in advance because Forby, keenly aware of the sensitivity of the subject matter, wants to make sure he finds the right actor, one of part-Hawaiian, part-Caucasian descent. "There is no circumstance that would make me give this part to a non part-Hawaiian actor."
                        Last edited by Lei K; June 13, 2007, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Perhaps in the interest of historical accuracy, the actress used to portray Victoria Cleghorn should be of Scottish decent.
                          FutureNewsNetwork.com
                          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

"There is no circumstance that would make me give this part to a non part-Hawaiian actor."
                            I guess he found the circumstance...

They should have made the casting call for this movie very known on the islands, advertised very publicly.
                            I didn't hear about it either yet I remember when they did the casting call for the role of Pocahontas for The New World way back then... and I was in Japan at the time. They had opened the call to Polynesian girls and were searching world-wide for someone to play the role that eventually went to Q'orianka.

Open calls are great for finding new talent - that's how they found Keisha Castle-Hughes for Whalerider, Mamaengaroa Kerr-Bell (Grace from Once Were Warriors), Anna Paquin for The Piano and Michelle Rodrigues for Girl Fight.

The same Casting Director found both Keisha and Anna in an extensive school wide search - both of whom were later nominated for Oscars for their roles and Anna even won! I bet that Casting Director could find us a "Ka'iulani" with Hawaiian blood.

First woman that came to my mind was Radasha Ho'ohuli - I don't even know if she can act but she's just so beautiful! But I think she is also to old to play the Princess at 17.

Comment

Originally posted by PoiBoy View Post
                              Those Hawaiians that had a problem with the Rock playing king Kamehameha had issues not just because he was a non-hawaiian, but because he was Samoan.
                              In a streetfight, who would win? A Hawaiian or a Samoan?
                              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Working...
                              X