Silent Hill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silent Hill

First off, I have to say that most everyone who didn't like it, DIDN'T GET IT. To bash a film you don't understand is unfair to the filmmakers. I'm writing this first because many call it the worst movie ever, but had no idea what was actually taking place. That's like judging a joke told to you...in a language you don't understand.

Remember, this film is inspired by Japanese horror (with French-Canadian direction), not American. Good, cause when I fork over the dough, I expect fresh bread. The plot requires you think about it to get it. For example, the 'monsters' are not monsters per se, but representations of the evil that was present during the past events.

Alright, I'll try to keep this short:

- Ground breaking special effects/character design with foreign-demonic/artsy inspiration and flair. The fog in the film, like in the game, is praised as being revolutionary. I actually had to supress the urge to cough when I saw it in a theater (not joking).

- Not completely loyal to the first game but I don't care.

- Certain dialogue/acting was terrible. Not enough to take much from the experience, so definately forgivable.

- Sound. Oh my! If you played the games (if not, begin with the first one from the first Playstation), you'd know the sound is a big part of the terror. Effects/music/voicings were terrifying. Same composer as the games. Progressive fright-psychology is applied

- Plot was awesome with an unawesome, but not unenjoyable, execution (pun intended). Slight spoiler: The town exists in two dimensions...well, in a sense, three...but the second one is more bi-polar than separate. There's the deserted town which exists in our proper reality, which is where they were being looked for in by the leo and husband, and then the haunted dimension in which mama tries to save her daughter (the 3rd being the 'rusty time warp' town in which metaphorical monsters reign supreme...for every f'd up act that occured here, there is a 'monster' or group of 'monsters' to represent said f'd-upness (it's my review, I'll make up my own words). THAT is why the ending (the very last scene) is the way it is.

And that is what makes Silent Hill so unique...it is poetic-horror, or poetic-goreror (in the cool way, not the nauseating way).

It ain't perfect with it's sometimes laughable acting and dialogue, as well as some plot holes, but I think they have the best director for the job (even though Hulk sucked). A sequel is already in production, and this time they got Roger Avary to co-write/direct. Looks to be a winner.

Will watch again and again

For a horror flick: 9.0
    For a film in general: 9.0

Plese don't ask me to discuss the film further. I saw it once the day after release and must watch again for specifics. My girl won't even hear/read a synopsis of the film. She didn't get it and hates it, like most of the reviewers of this film. Her loss
    Last edited by DKP; July 14, 2007, 05:25 AM. Reason: Drink, drank, drunk.
    Sing with me, everyone!
    "Some folk'll never eat a skunk, but then again, some folk'll..."
    like your mama, the slack-jawed yok'll.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.haleakalatimes.com/ <--- better than MTV
    The Nettle Caterpillar Must DIE!!!
    http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/IP-22.pdf

Re: Silent Hill

I loved Silent Hill. VERY much enjoyed it!
    Loved the Good and Evil lines drawn in the sand....I like how much the movie made you think....
    Since when is psycho a bad thing??
    Sharing withother survivors...
    www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Your hair is cool (if that is your picture).

I had shaved dark blue for a while in high school, but dyed back to dark brown because all that saltwater interacted badly with the dye.
      Sing with me, everyone!

Comment

I enjoyed the movie as well. It was great to see them draw from most of the series (1-3) and the scenic references were pretty spot on. What was great were the visual metaphors that fit so well into the Silent Hill style of psychological horror.

Comment

Originally posted by DKP View Post
          Your hair is cool (if that is your picture).

I had shaved dark blue for a while in high school, but dyed back to dark brown because all that saltwater interacted badly with the dye.
          Yes, saltwater is not my friend.
          Since when is psycho a bad thing??
          Sharing withother survivors...
          www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Apart from the horribly executed "Congratulations" stuff, this is probably my favorite video game adaptation to date.

I'm a huge nerd for the game series and I was quite pleased with it, what they took directly was especially a treat (music from the game = win). And I loved the Pyramid Head fanservice. The last third of the movie or so kind of fell apart badly which disappointed me but the actual ending itself was certainly something I would expect from SH. Dahlia's role...practically reversed...loved that. The best part about this whole movie for me, though, is that my parents loved it.

Gotta really love Cybil's "WTF! W...T...F..." after PH appears.
            myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

Yeah, the congratulations stuff was dumb (not like we played the 'movie' anyway to get to that point anyway).

kupomog, lol at the dog in your sig. Looked like the other dog wanted to battle after the first tried the shoulder-roll
              Sing with me, everyone!

Comment

Working...
              X