Anyone remember Shnazz?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone remember Shnazz?

Snazz was a local rock group in 1980. Their popular song was called "I Think We're alone Now" and got lots of radio play. Another fun song on their debut album was called I Wanna Jump on Your Bones. Simple lyrics, catchy beat.

I wanna jump, jump, jump
    Jump on your bones
    I do! I do!

To promote themselves they played little mini concerts around the island, which were usually free. We went down to Waikiki to watch them play in some little corner of that Waikiki outdoor marketplace area. Another time they set up and played in the Pearl City Shopping center outside of Holiday Mart by the McDonald's side. A decent crowd of mostly high school kids and younger were in attendance both times.

Vernon Sakata, the japanese guitar player from Shnazz, later worked in the Kaheka Holiday Mart in the mid-80's where I was also employed.

Sadly, they never came out with a cd and mp3 lookups are futile.

Re: Anyone remember Shnazz?

"I think we're alone now,
    there doesn't seem to be anyone around."

Is that the song? It's playing in my head.

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

[Post deleted per request.]
      I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

I remember them. Great music. Tight band. So what ever happened to them?
        If you have the vinyl album, you could digitize it.
        Here is a clip. Enjoy...hana hou
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8ZkbgaaYQQ

==========================================

Originally posted by PearlCityMike View Post
        Snazz was a local rock group in 1980. Their popular song was called "I Think We're alone Now" and got lots of radio play. Another fun song on their debut album was called I Wanna Jump on Your Bones. Simple lyrics, catchy beat.

I wanna jump, jump, jump
        Jump on your bones
        I do! I do!

Vernon Sakata, the japanese guitar player from Shnazz, later worked in the Kaheka Holiday Mart in the mid-80's where I was also employed.

Sadly, they never came out with a cd and mp3 lookups are futile.

Comment

Snazz was a local rock group in 1980. Their popular song was called "I Think We're alone Now" and got lots of radio play.
          ==============
          Vernon shreds on the LPaul
          The Shnazz cover of Tommy James & Shondells hit.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-_4WrHKHyA
          Last edited by mel; February 23, 2008, 11:36 PM. Reason: fix close quote tag

Comment

I saw Shnazz at one of those free outdoor venues back in 1980. As others mentioned, they were tight. I have the entire Shnazz album burned to CD and MP3 off a pre-recorded cassette tape. I might also try to do that with my still in shrinkwrap 2nd LP.

Their best tracks: "I Think We're Alone Now", "I Wanna Jump on Your Bones", "Bad Boys", "Surrender" and "Pignose Under Glass".

Fritz was on KRTR 96 FM for a while.

"I Think We're Alone Now" was released to a 45 with the B-side as "Bad Boys". And yes, they got a lot of local radio airplay.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Did Shnazz have any connection to Poi Dog Pondering?

Comment

I don't think so. The band that had that connection was Hat Makes the Man.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Didn't Shnazz will take you on a sea cruise? I'm trying to remember if there was a Superferry or a Glass Bottom Boat here.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                    Didn't Shnazz will take you on a sea cruise? I'm trying to remember if there was a Superferry or a Glass Bottom Boat here.
                    OO-EE!
                    OO-EE baby!
                    OO-EE!

I'm thinking more like a ferry out of Fisherman's warf, though I've never been on the Shnazz cruise.

Was Fritz in love with himself? Possibly may have had KDES. (Kevin DuBrow Ego Syndrome.)

Thanks for the youtube videos.

I need to find me a few mp3s of those songs.

Comment

[...]I need to find me a few mp3s of those songs.
                      If you have a Mac and iTunes you can download the YouTube videos and turn 'em into mp3s using TubeSock. Sorry, don't know a thing about PCs.

I'd never heard of Shnazz prior to this thread and...dang...I love 'em. I wonder how I missed them in 1980? Too busy working and raising kids, I guess.

The Fritz of 1980 seems to greatly resemble the Fritz of the current Don Tiki show. If they're one and the same, which I believe they are, don't let the black hair and mustache fool ya! I met him at a party a coupla years or so ago and his hair is now white and he looks GREAT!!! Nice guy, too.

Comment

A few hours after my last post my brain started releasing tidbits of deeply buried information! Shnazz, all of a sudden, had just a hint of familiarity. An HT search turned up this thread. Within that thread is a more current photo of Fritz. Yep! One and the same. However, when I last saw him he looked one heckuva lot better than that photo!

According to this article there was a Shnazz reunion in the 90s.

Comment

I correct myself: Sakata worked at H.M.S.A. when I was there in 1993-94.
                          There I go confusing jobs again (and years!). My bad for working at too many places on Oahu back in the day.

Oh and thanks for the Fritz links. Interesting stuff.

I'll see what I can do as far as mp3s go. I'll get them and the cd sooner or later, but for now those youtube videos are priceless.

Comment

In the late 70s Fritz and Shnazz were the featured band at the 23rd Step in Kailua.

They also did a version of Band on the Run at a high school prom, entitled "Band with the Runs" that got them banned from ever playing at any public school again. They were great!

The were also the featured band on the Rella Mae Booze Cruises in the early 80s.

Comment

No, that's not Fritz in Don Tiki, but I see the visual connection.
                              Shnazz wuz one of the many bands that hit the waves with the Aikane catamarans out of Kewalo Basin for the Rock the Boat concerts in the late 70s.

Teazer wuz another 70s local rock band that did the late night booze croozes and played TABLES out Sand Island way. They had an LP, and thier best song 'Rock Out With Your C*** Out' was classic.
                              Last edited by Ron Whitfield; March 20, 2008, 08:29 PM.
                              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Working...
                              X