Styx coming to town

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Styx coming to town

Saw on Ticketmaster that tickets go on sale this weekend for the Styx concert at the Blaisdell Concert Hall for October 9th show. No Dennis DeYoung, but Tommy Shaw is with them and a couple of the other guys like James Young.

From interviews I've seen of the band, don't expect to hear "Mr. Roboto" or "Babe", I think they focus mostly on Tommy Shaw's songs he sang.

The Honolulu Symphony should try and get Dennis DeYoung for a concert sometime along since he only seems to play those types of venues now.

Aj

Re: Styx coming to town

They were my favorite band all through intermediate and high school and even the first couple of years of college. I am SO going to be there.

It breaks my heart that Dennis and the boys can't patch things up, and it won't seem like a Styx show to me, but I spent too many lonely days with The Grand Illusion on my Walkman wishing wishing wishing wishing Styx would play Honolulu (and fantasizing that they called me onstage to sing "Boat on the River" with them) to miss this show, even without DeYoung.

Neither of the Panozzo brothers will be with the band, I think. Chuck, the drummer, died of liver failure a few years ago, and I'm not sure what happened to his brother John. I will think of this as a Tommy Shaw / James Young show and that will be good enough for me, for now.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Thanx for the warning!

Kinda slow year for R&R shows, eh? So, it'll probably sell out!
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Will "Catscratch Fever" Ted Nugent be playing with the group? Didn't The Motor City Madman once married a local girl?

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
          Will "Catscratch Fever" Ted Nugent be playing with the group? Didn't The Motor City Madman once married a local girl?
          Although he teamed up with Tommy Shaw as part of Damn Yankees, I don't believe Nugent has ever been a part of Styx. In fact, doesn't Nugent go on tour with own band?
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Nuge never played with Styx, and he hates ballads, so I doubt that he would even if asked. Shaw has continued to record with Jack Blades, the other guy in Damn Yankees. They did a killer cover of "I've Seen All Good People / Your Move" last year.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Ol' Ted only tours about a third of the year now. He's involved in other stuff these day's, like chainsawing meat out of his legs on his TV shows, politicly conservative media raving, and of course his life long propensity for killing critters.

Ted is an interesting and complex being. He can be incredibly friendly and a ton of fun, a humble and true gentleman, or a total prick.

Love him or loathe him, he does it his way, and I've been a big fan since the early '70s. Few have rocked for one minute like Ted Nugent has since the mid '60s.
              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Scriv, Styx? Styx? Geddoudahea…Why? *scratches head*

They were like…what…I dunno…a cross between Air Supply and Loverboy…with a dash of Hall&Oates…nearly Duran Duranish with a drop of Scorpion, if you will…that, of course, in their latter days…

styx…styx…wth

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                  They were like…what…I dunno…a cross between Air Supply and Loverboy…with a dash of Hall&Oates…nearly Duran Duranish with a drop of Scorpion, if you will…that, of course, in their latter days…
                  Air Supply? They're not the first musical act that comes to my mind as being comparable to Styx. Their musical output evolved over the years, but during their commercial peak during the early 1980s (Paradise Theater and Kilroy Was Here), I would have classified them more along the lines of other supergroups like REO Speedwagon, Asia, and Yes.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Is Styx on the fence for being a band for chicks or guys?

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                      Scriv, Styx? Styx? Geddoudahea…Why? *scratches head*
                      I used to be ashamed of the fact that they were once my favorite band, but a recent marathon of listening to everything I had by them (and I don't have everything because I'm spacing it out, the way I'm doing with John Steinbeck) had me outing myself because you know what? There isn't a darn thing to be embarrassed about, "Mr. Roboto" notwithstanding.

If you know them mostly for the power ballads, then Air Supply and Loverboy's not a bad comparison, except never was Styx as syrupy as Air Supply and almost always were they more cerebral than Loverboy (both are bands I like, by the way). I don't hear ANY Hall & Oates there, unless you're mosting thinking of keyboard-driven rock, and Duran Duran is about as far from Styx as Mel Torme. I like Hall & Oates and Duran Duran, by the way, so I'm not slamming any of these bands. I also like the Velvet Fog.

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                      ...but during their commercial peak during the early 1980s (Paradise Theater and Kilroy Was Here), I would have classified them more along the lines of other supergroups like REO Speedwagon, Asia, and Yes.
                      Okay, now here's someone who knows where I'm coming from, except "supergroup" is a term used to describe bands made up of musicians who were stars in other incarnations first; that only really applies here to Asia (King Crimson, Yes, UK, and ELP). In the Paradise Theater / Kilroy years, they were closest to REO. In fact, in 1981, REO's Hi Infidelity, Styx's Paradise Theater, and Asia's Asia pretty much dominated the album charts at the same time, so it totally makes sense to think of the bands together.

I have often said that Rush was the band that taught me how to listen to music. My affection for music of all types is mostly the result of my learning to listen attentively to the way ALL the components of a song work together to create one thing. Styx, whom I'd been a fan of for a few years before I discovered Rush, then became REALLY good to my ears, because while I love love love love Rush, the band's music is sometimes lacking in sweat and testosterone, and while Styx wasn't quite as cerebral (or, let's face it, as musically proficient), it made up for that by bringing the hormones and bringing them full-blast from THREE lead singers, all five instruments, lyrics that meant something, and songs that, when collected, made ALBUMS and not just playlists.

One of my favorite things about Pixar movies is that the filmmakers "paint in the corners," as Roger Ebert likes to say. You can keep your eyes focused on any one part of the screen, even far away from the main action, and be interested in what's there because that's the kind of detail the filmmakers pay to every square inch of screen.

Styx did the same thing. I know, Pua`i, that you've heard "Come Sail Away" but have you listened to it focusing only on, say, the drums? Or the keys? Or the way three singers with completely different voices put them together to create what was really the Styx sound?

If you get a chance, give a listen to "Suite: Madam Blue" and then listen to "Boat on the River." That's the same band! I mean, yeah, Tommy Shaw hadn't yet joined (he'd be on the next album), but I mean it's the same band. In fact, everyone has heard "Babe" a million times, but listen to the rest of the incredible album that song is from (Cornerstone) and you'll really see why I dig Styx. You can get another sense of it from a song on Paradise Theater, "Snowblind," which features James Young's vocals on the verses and Tommy Shaw's on the choruses (I haven't seen the recent setlists, but for this reason alone I'd be surprised if they don't play that here). For me, the song is a great representative of what a great rock song should be.

REO was very similar because of the same kind of dynamic between the musicians. It was said that Kevin Cronin would bring all these pretty songs to the band and then Gary Richrath would put the balls on. I think most of us will agree that REO's decline came when Richrath stopped doing that; he was asked to leave the band in 1989.

I do love Styx's sappy, syrupy songs. But there is sooooo much more to this great band from Chicago than just that. "Don't let it end...this...way..."

I can't wait!
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                        Okay, now here's someone who knows where I'm coming from, except "supergroup" is a term used to describe bands made up of musicians who were stars in other incarnations first; that only really applies here to Asia (King Crimson, Yes, UK, and ELP). In the Paradise Theater / Kilroy years, they were closest to REO. In fact, in 1981, REO's Hi Infidelity, Styx's Paradise Theater, and Asia's Asia pretty much dominated the album charts at the same time, so it totally makes sense to think of the bands together.
                        You hit upon what I've always had a problem grappling with. Labelling these groups from the 1970s/'80s. Not easy to definitively classify the likes of REO, Styx, Asia, Kansas, and Foreigner. What kind of bands were they? Pop. Powerhouse rock. Progressive rock. Hard rock. I really dunno. All I know is the sound that became the trademark. Lots of electric guitar, amplified instruments, and hard drumming, but not so extreme as to enter into the realm of heavy metal.
                        Last edited by Frankie's Market; June 4, 2008, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Don't forget arena rock. Those bands and many others used to fill arena concerts in their heydey.

Classifying them is hard too because it depends on when you listened to them and where you listened to them. Bands like Styx, Kansas, Foreigner, Rush, Asia were all played first on the so called "album rock" radio stations of the mid 70s... meaning mostly FM stations (AM was still dominant back then)...

Later these bands or their labels probably, got them to record "radio friendly" singles that were accessible to top 40 AM radio listeners, which brought a lot of repeated airplay for songs like "Come Sail Away," "Babe", "Too Much Time on my Hands" and "Mr. Roboto". Kids bought these songs first on 45 rpm single records and later on LPs and CDs as they got older.

The core group that were listening to these bands on FM AOR stations bought the albums outright as they came out... so they enjoyed tremendous success in reaching 2 different markets... albums/college/older adults and kids via top 40 radio of the day.

So it is hard to label them except bunch em under the most generic term, "classic rock" which is where you hear most of their music being played on the radio today.

As for labeling Styx a supergroup, I would think not. Sure they were big in their day, but I will go with Scriv's definition in saying a supergroup is one that contain members of separate, but well established groups.

I guess the first supergroup was probably Cream, or at least they are so labeled. Eric Clapton, Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce, though I can't recall what bands they originally came from. They lasted for 1 or 2 albums in the late 1960s.

Probably the most well known is Crosby, Stills, & Nash (and sometimes Young) who all came from different rock bands of the 1960s... Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, The Hollies....

So Asia would be another supergroup.

Damn Yankees, even the Traveling Wilburys. I'm sure there are others.

BTW, The Roling Stones, The Who and The Beatles would not fit the definition of supergroup, though Led Zeppelin maybe....
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                            So it is hard to label them except bunch em under the most generic term, "classic rock" which is where you hear most of their music being played on the radio today.
                            Classic rock is really the name of a radio format. It's not a musical genre. Nobody called that stuff "classic rock" when it just came out, right?

As for labeling Styx a supergroup, I would think not. Sure they were big in their day, but I will go with Scriv's definition in saying a supergroup is one that contain members of separate, but well established groups.

I guess the first supergroup was probably Cream, or at least they are so labeled. Eric Clapton, Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce, though I can't recall what bands they originally came from. They lasted for 1 or 2 albums in the late 1960s.

Probably the most well known is Crosby, Stills, & Nash (and sometimes Young) who all came from different rock bands of the 1960s... Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, The Hollies....

So Asia would be another supergroup.

Damn Yankees, even the Traveling Wilburys. I'm sure there are others.
                            I get it. In my parlence, I used to just call them "all-star" groups, whether they were a permanent emsemble or a one-off affair.

Too many examples to name. My favorites include the Honeydrippers, Rockestra, and the Backbeat Band.

BTW, The Roling Stones, The Who and The Beatles would not fit the definition of supergroup, though Led Zeppelin maybe....
                            With Led Zeppelin, it's a bit of a stretch to call them an all-star group or a supergroup (using your definition). While all four of them were industry veterans with varying degrees of success prior to the formation of LZ, none of them were considered rock star luminaries during the '60s. Jones was primarily a session man. Page was in the Yardbirds, but had nowhere near the profile that Eric Clapton had. Plant and Bonham toiled in a group (Band of Joy) that only had limited success. It was only when they formed LZ that they became household names.
                            Last edited by Frankie's Market; June 5, 2008, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Classic rock is really the name of a radio format. It's not a musical genre. Nobody called that stuff "classic rock" when it just came out, right?
                              Generally speaking yes. The term "classic rock" though makes it easier to categorize the music. Works for radio, should work for everyone else. From this Wikipedia article:

Classic rock was originally conceived as a radio station programming format which evolved from the album oriented rock (AOR) format in the early-1980s. In the United States, this rock music format now features a large but limited playlist of songs ranging from the early-1960s through the early-1980s with more emphasis on the earlier hits by artists associated with the loosely-defined "classic rock era"
                              So what is the "classic rock era"? Loosely speaking these are the songs and albums that AOR radio formats mostly played during the mid 60s to early 80s, and may or may not include tracks that also made it to top 40 radio.

Somehow I think Styx would fit into this categorization, though most of their music prior to The Grand Illusion album is rarely heard on radio today. The exceptions may be "Lady" and "Crystal Ball" which are among their earliest, popular tracks.

It's just easy to categorize a lot of this music as "classic rock" even though they can fit into their own genres such as progressive rock, top 40 or whatever.

Anyway, the article at Wikipedia is interesting but may be somewhat incomplete as noted in the prologue.

With Led Zeppelin, it's a bit of a stretch to call them an all-star group or a supergroup (using your definition). While all four of them were industry veterans with varying degrees of success prior to the formation of LZ, none of them were considered rock star luminaries during the '60s. Jones was primarily a session man. Page was in the Yardbirds, but had nowhere near the profile that Eric Clapton had. Plant and Bonham toiled in a group (Band of Joy) that only had limited success. It was only when they formed LZ that they became household names.
                              I generally agree with this. That's why I said "maybe" in my prior post. I knew Led Zeppelin's members had played with other rock groups, most notably the Yardbirds. I think Jimmy Page also did studio work on some old British top 40 hits by Herman's Hermits and other artists.
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                              X