Andy Gibb & Victoria Principle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andy Gibb & Victoria Principle

You guys have been helpful in helping me find old music, so here goes another one.

I found it on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zk5jEBTi-g

Andy Gibb and Victoria Principle.

I like to know more. In a web search, all they talked about was they once had a relationship. That's pretty much it on Wikipedia.

As a kid then, I recall it was more. Gibb died from a heart problem. Heart problem steam from drug use. He used drugs because of a broken heart. Victoria Principle left him. I think even Barry Gibb have said, that Andy never really recover from it.

I'm a fan of Andy Gibb. Love his music. This song was a part of him. And at that time, his love for Ms. Principle. However, it seem to be left out. In fact, this song is almost hidden, where as you can find "them" pushing other songs by Andy Gibb with others such a Marie Osmond, Olivia Newton-John. Like "they" want Andy's fans to remember the other songs with other ladies, but not this. I recall this song being more popular than the others too. Of course, you'll never find this song for puchase or MP3 download today.

Why the ban on Victoria Principle?

I'm also a fan of Dallas, so I respect her more as a TV celebrity than singer.

This was a part of And Gibb's music that "they" seem to want to forget.

Those who where older than I at that time (9), please tell me any stories you remember about this (Gibb-Principle-this song-his death). Or correct me if I'm wrong somewhere.

Re: Andy Gibb & Victoria Principle

Hui! I googled and came up with plenny:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=Andy+...ient=firefox-a

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Ok, that was simple. I don't know why my brain wasn't thinking that direction.

I think that VH1 thing would be everything I needed to know.

Thanks

Comment

You're very welcome.

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by cabanalane View Post
          I like to know more. In a web search, all they talked about was they once had a relationship. That's pretty much it on Wikipedia.
          Maybe the relationship is all that's discussed because the song itself (a) sucks and (b) wasn't even really a hit, peaking at #51 on the Billboard chart, meaning you wouldn't even have heard it on Casey Kasem's radio program. Andy was quite a performer, and one of my early favorites: I was nine when "Shadow Dancing" was on the charts. But this remake with Victoria Principle just stinks. It's lackluster and boring.

He used drugs because of a broken heart.
          You know this because you asked him, right? Otherwise, I don't know how you (or anyone besides Gibb himself) could make a statement like this. His drug use could have been partly due to his broken heart, but I've had my heart broken and I didn't use drugs. It would be just as easy to blame wealth, idleness, reckless tendencies, or weak character for his drug use.

This song was a part of him.
          I find this difficult to believe. What makes you say this?

However, it seem to be left out. In fact, this song is almost hidden, where as you can find "them" pushing other songs by Andy Gibb with others such a Marie Osmond, Olivia Newton-John.
          Who is "they" and where do you see them pushing these other songs? You just about never hear ANY Andy Gibb songs on the radio, and any deejay spinning this song would most likely play the Everly Brothers' version (which also sucks). The Olivia Newton-John duet peaked at number 12, so if you hear it more often, that's probably why.

Like "they" want Andy's fans to remember the other songs with other ladies, but not this. I recall this song being more popular than the others too. Of course, you'll never find this song for puchase or MP3 download today.
          *sigh* Your recall is obviously a bit hazy, as this was the lowest-charting single of Gibb's career. Also, if you were nine in 1981, you were five when "(Love is) Thicker than Water" was the best song on the radio. Perhaps you didn't have the radio on that year. I did, and Shadow Dancing was one of my first LPs.

As for purchase at the iTunes store, there are a thousand reasons this might be true. You can't buy an AC/DC song in digital format ANYwhere on the Web; that doesn't mean someone's trying to make the world forget AC/DC, much as anyone might like to.

This was a part of Andy Gibbs music that "they" seem to want to forget.
          Well I can scarcely blame "them." I thought I'd blissfully forgotten it until reading this post! Really, it's not that good a song!

Or correct me if I'm wrong somewhere.
          With pleasure.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Let's see...I was in my 30s when the Bee Gees and Andy were popular. I loved all music Gibb related. I remember when Andy and Victoria were an item. I remember when they were no longer an item. I remember when Andy died. I don't remember any of the details. I have no recollection of the linked song except the version by the Everly Bros. That one was popular when I was in junior high and was very much a part of my music rotation. Slow dancing was very popular during that era!

The Gibb/Principle version, while sweet, is, for me, something I'd rather watch than just listen to. That fact that it made it to #51 is testimony to Andy's popularity at the time!

Comment

I have lots of video of Andy Gibb and probably have the videoclips of Andy and Victoria together on talk shows or music performances in addition to this. They were quite a couple, but I have heard Victoria couldnt commit to Andy because of his substance abuse problems. Supposedly his drug problems caused his heart to weaken over the years because of the abuse. I remember hearing "I Just Want to Be Your Everything" when I was a kid and how popular he was in addition to his brothers, by the time I was in high school his popularity had waned and he passed away. Very sad, he was so young and had much more to contribute to the music world and life in general.

On a local sidenote in 1978, a good friend of mine Yvonne Elliman did some shows at the Blaisdell and Andy introduced her live on stage, not sure if he ever did any shows over here.

Aj

Comment

clicked on link...plunges insulin into femoral artery and hopes to save her own life...

I forgot how bad that song was...

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                  On a local sidenote in 1978, a good friend of mine Yvonne Elliman did some shows at the Blaisdell and Andy introduced her live on stage, not sure if he ever did any shows over here.
                  Oh man, you know her? Tell her I love her. Seriously.
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                    I have a friend who hangs out with her all the time. In fact on Halloween night she was in the neighborhood here helping another friend with yard work.
                    I too love her singing and artistry.

Whoops! I got the date wrong it was in August, the day Jerry died. We were having a party and this friend had just come from the neighbors' house
                    where Yvonne was helping with the yard. We invited them all over but they stayed there saying they were too dirty and sweaty to socialize, this
                    of course wouldn't have mattered to us the welcome mat was out! They said next time.
                    Last edited by leashlaws; January 6, 2009, 01:25 PM. Reason: correct date of information

Comment

Scrivener, you're all over the emotional map today! Whooooosh!

ducks
                      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

The cover song orignated by The Everly Brothers (I Believe) was an awright version IMO.... Luckily I was able to get that on Mp3 format from a friend.

I can recall Andy And Victoria singing that song on SOLID GOLD on Channel 9.
                        It's too bad that his drug usage got him FIRED from the show. I recall him constantly being late for tapings & rehearsals. Wasn't Rex Smith the one that took over?

Anyways I was working in Downtown as A Messenger w/ a Law Firm and heard/read of his passing.

I just read the Wikipedia page for Andy Gibb and noticed that the song "Wish You Were Here" that appeared on the Princess Diana Album (Compilation of Tribute Songs for Princess Diana) was actually a song dedicated for the passing of their brother Andy (The Song Appears on their Album "One") who was supposed to have joined the group.

INTERESTING.......
                        Last edited by DannyWilliams; January 6, 2009, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Yes, quite well. Here's a recent story on Yvonne. My kids were playing around with her daughter a few months back. Yvonne and her parents are very kind and loving people as are her kids. I keep telling her she needs to write a book, all of the places she has visited and the people she has met are fascinating from Eric Clapton, Andrew Lloyd Webber to the Beatles, etc. She has lived quite an interesting life!

http://archives.starbulletin.com/200...flashback.html

Aj
                          Last edited by Kalihiboy; January 6, 2009, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Me, too! Really! Great voice.
                            "If I can't have you I don't want nobody, baby...If I can't have you..."
                            LOVED that song...still gives me chickenskin!! It hit #1 (nationally, I think) about the time I moved to Hawaii so I will always associate it with that very important and much yearned for move.

Comment

I looked at this thread out of curiousity. Then I got to the part about Elliman and did a small bit of browsing and found this. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn7exBrCiUI

Comment

Working...
                              X