Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whitney Houston

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...n6236489.shtml

What happened to Whitney Houston after marrying Bobby Brown?

Re: Whitney Houston

Those disappointed fans weren't exaggerating. This is Whitney's complete performance of I Wanna Dance With Somebody.

She's not hitting any of her trademark high notes. She sounds out of breath. And she not even making any attempt to sing the chorus. Something is definitely wrong.
    Last edited by Frankie's Market; February 23, 2010, 11:16 PM.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

It appears she also has a major 'glisten' going on. I agree...something's wrong.

Comment

But deffinitely worth every cent of $165...
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
          http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...n6236489.shtml

What happened to Whitney Houston after marrying Bobby Brown?
          Wat you tink happened...she ate cracker jacks?

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
          But deffinitely worth every cent of $165...
          Yep. Worth it.

Age plus, wat ever she went through took it's tolls on Ms. Houston. It takes guts to get back to what she's doing. Coordianation and keeping up with her dancers, singing, holding the mike, etc. is an art.
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Smoking does that to your voice over time. I watched part of Houston's television interview recently. I think it was with Barbara Walters (not sure). Even her speaking voice is trashed. She sounded real hoarse. I've known some real talented singers that trashed their voices from smoking. Very sad.

If I were Whitney, I'd cut that smoking crap right away and go on vocal rest for a couple of years to salvage what she can. She has plenty of years ahead of her. She has plenty of money to live comfortably in the meantime.
            Last edited by Bobinator; February 24, 2010, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobinator View Post
              Smoking does that to your voice over time.
              If I were Whitney, I'd cut that smoking crap right away and go on vocal rest for a couple of years to salvage what she can. She has plenty of years ahead of her. She has plenty of money to live comfortably in the meantime.
              Excellent ADVICE!!
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

When I do voice overs and need to get one octave down such as in documentaries, I'll admittedly take a deep drag on a cig to do so. Always had a pack of cigs in a ziplock bag in my briefcase when I worked in radio. I think one pack lasted about two months.

Found that trick after listening to people talk. Those with Deep Pipes tend to be smokers. Even the women with sultry voices typically smoke. In the end though with age the voice becomes cracky and hoarse with smoking.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Poor Whitney, I truly feel for her. But for the grace of god, go we all. I'm very impressed that she's turning her life around. That's gotta be really tough, especially performing again, and putting herself out there, risking some painful criticism. Go, Whitney!! She's in recovery from her past mistakes, and I'd support her even if she couldldnt even sing 'Happy Birthday" anymore. She is "every woman", like the song goes...
                  ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Smoking does that to your voice over time.
                    Very true, that. But in Whitney's case, ciggie smoking is far from being her only vice. She's admitted to abusing marijuana and coke. Heavy alcohol use will also affect one's voice.

Yes, yes, yes, to all that.

Let me say here that my earlier post wasn't to mock Whitney. I'm well aware of how truly gifted a vocalist she was. We're definitely not talking about an overhyped pop "singing sensation," a la Taylor Swift or whoever the latest flavor of the month is. To see a once-great singer like this struggling to sing without gasping for breath in mid-sentence is just painful to watch.

Whitney may be at a crossroads in her career, similar to what Frank Sinatra was going through in the early 1950s, when he was going through vocal problems. Thanks in large part to the vocal coaching of a legendary teacher named Judy Davis, Sinatra was able to rehabilitate his golden pipes and go on to many more years of great performances. Whitney would be wise to seek similar help from a top-notch voice teacher/expert who will be able to diagnose and correct whatever is now ailing her vocal cords.
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                      Those with Deep Pipes tend to be smokers.
                      Generally speaking, that's true. However, my voice is a double bass, the deepest possible, and my voice started getting really deep when I was about 6 or 7 years old. Long before I started smoking (no matter what my avatar shows ). I hit the lowest notes early in the mornings, then the register goes up as the day progresses.
                      Haven't had a chance to listen to Whitney's link yet, so I can't comment on that. Remember that it's not just that she smokes, it's also what she smokes.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                        I'm well aware of how truly gifted a vocalist she was. We're definitely not talking about an overhyped pop "singing sensation," a la Taylor Swift or whoever the latest flavor of the month is.
                        Thank you! I finally found someone else who doesn't think Taylor Swift is the bestest singer in the whole world!!!!!111!!!! OMG!!!

<gag> Quit ruining my Def Leppard songs, sweetheart.

I had no idea Whitney was performing again. That takes guts. Good for her!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Long before Bobby came along Whitney Posessed an Angelic Voice that racked up #1 singles and Albums. Now that she released her supposed comeback album and lets assume kicked Bobby to the curb her signature sound and voice seemed to have been lost. "I Look To You" is a good song but Whitney sounds awfully hoarse and vocal range has gone south for the winter. The album is pretty good but Whitney Fans may prefer the Ol Skool Sound.
                          Taking A Look At The Clips in Brisbaine she looks awfully lost here. I am not musican expert but you should be working the stage and focusing on your audience thats out there. Often she looking at the band, her dancers or something. For $165, I want MY MONEYS WORTH DAMMIT!

Comment

Okay, I watched the video, and noted that around the 2:40 mark she turned away from the mic twice and coughed, clearly having throat problems. A look at her website shows that she's just started (two days ago) a tour of Australia and Europe, so she'd undoubtedly been in heavy rehearsals, followed by an extremely long flight... could be that she's simply having a temporary problem and perhaps needs a few days to rest her voice. Perhaps instead of flaming her folks should be giving her some props from even attempting to go on with the show (though perhaps it would've been better to cancel and reschedule).
                            Or perhaps that incredible voice has totally left her for good. No way for any of us to know.
                            As for the sweating, that's not unusual for any musician on a concert stage under those unbelievably hot lights. When I used to play at Aloha Tower/Kapono's, it felt like they were using heat lamps for stage lights. I found it about 20 degrees cooler to step back just a few feet and not be directly under the lights. Ask anyone who played there.
                            I also saw where Whitney stepped away and over to the table in the middle of the song, but perhaps that was just to build suspense for the big moment of the song.
                            All I'm saying is that it's too soon to tell what the real story is. Hopefully she'll be fine.
                            This all reminds me of a situation in the mid 70s with Joe Cocker. He'd left the music scene for quite a long time due to problems with drugs and alcohol, but he cleaned up and then scheduled a major Comeback Concert at the famous Roxy in Los Angeles. All the local music VIPs and music media were invited, including local radio DJs. The crowd was excited and pulling for him, but when he came onstage he was smashed. Apparently he was so nervous about the show that he got hammered backstage. He only made it through about three songs and then left. It was an extremely sad night.
                            Hopefully Whitney will be okay.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

It's hard to prove that Whitney Houston used crack with no receipts.

Comment

Working...
                              X