Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha `oe, Dave Brubeck

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...7126256.column

One day shy of his 92nd birthday, one of my musical heroes since childhood has died. I met and conversed with him on a few occasions, as well as three of his sons (also musicians), and got to see/hear him live in concert about a dozen times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faJE92phKzI

Re: Aloha `oe, Dave Brubeck

"Take Five" forever... R.I.P.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I had to good fortune to be in a band (Ollie Mitchell's Sunday Band) that was his opening act for his Waikiki Shell concert back in the late 1980s (or so.)

About a week prior to the concert, his sat in with our group for a concert at Bishop Square to promote the Shell concert.

He was amazing, and so was his group, which included his son (Chris?) on bass and bass trombone, Randy Jones on drums and Bobby Militello on alto sax.

RIP, Mr. Brubeck.

Comment

Originally posted by gchun View Post
        I had to good fortune to be in a band (Ollie Mitchell's Sunday Band) that was his opening act for his Waikiki Shell concert back in the late 1980s (or so.)

About a week prior to the concert, his sat in with our group for a concert at Bishop Square to promote the Shell concert.

He was amazing, and so was his group, which included his son (Chris?) on bass and bass trombone, Randy Jones on drums and Bobby Militello on alto sax.

RIP, Mr. Brubeck.
        You lucky dog, Gary! Yes, that's Chris on bass & trombone. Other sons who I've seen perform with him included Darius (keyboards) & Danny (drums).

Comment

I was very intrigued by the sound that Chris got with his fretless Rickenbacker bass with black tapewound strings.

Comment

Dave Brubeck and Take 5 spawned my love of jazz. My dad, too. He was the one who bought and played that album when I was a kid!. RIP, indeed.

Comment

I still have and treasure my 33 rpm lp of this event.

Charlie Drago was co producer of the 79 gig (I think).

Newport 79.

Comment

I find "Take 5" one of those songs it's impossible not to sing along with.

"One two three FOUR five one two three FOUR five one two three FOUR five..."
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                  I find "Take 5" one of those songs it's impossible not to sing along with.

"One two three FOUR five one two three FOUR five one two three FOUR five..."
                  Other songs in 5/4 time? See if you know...
                  "Mission: Impossible" Theme
                  Nick Drake: "River Man"
                  Jethro Tull: "Living In The Past"
                  Yvonne Elliman: Everything's Alright" (from Jesus Christ Superstar)

Comment

I don't know any of those songs except Mission Impossible, and I never noticed that was in 5. I can name many that are in 7, though.
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                      I can name many that are in 7, though.
                      Pink Floyd's "Money" is the first one that comes to mind. "The Fish" by Yes (Chris Squire solo piece). Peter Gabriel's "Solsbury Hill" is a personal favorite.

To take it back to Brubeck - I've always loved his "Unsquare Dance," which is in 7/8. First time I saw him in concert, it was in the early 70s with his sons, where they did this version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkbmkNDmjJk

Comment

I remember as a student in the San Francisco Bay area that we would go over to San Francisco's North Beach and listen to Dave Brubeck and Cal Tjader live at the Purple Onion. KOOL! Oh! we also saw Carol Doda do her thing live just down the street!
                        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

As regards Pink Floyd, whilst at Reed college a few of us clambered into an

early Ford panel van with a custom Chevrolet engine.

We arrived early and had seats front and center.

Mind you, we were seated on the floor (no chairs).

The band was set up with a 4 channel system and it worked very nicely.

After the concert was over , the van failed to run, and we stayed at close
                          friends nearby with large Klipschorns .

Next day, Sally found some technical help and the hybrid van sprang back to life.

Great concert.

Comment

Working...
                          X