Jazz in Hawai`i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jazz in Hawai`i

A mention of jazz concerts in another thread got me thinking about this: where are your favorite places to catch live jazz in Hawai`i? What to you make an effort to hear - traditional and mainstream sounds, free-expression and edgy experimental stuff, pop-flavored smooth jazz, whatever and however you want to define it? Who are some of the resident Island jazz musicians you can regularly hear in performance?

Here's a sidebar music trivia question (can you get it without doing an internet search?) --- On the classic 1960 Capitol album "Ports of Paradise" (recently reissued on CD), there is a female singer featured on two of the tracks - who is she AND who is her famous musical son (still involved in music in Hawai`i to this day)? There is a connection to jazz here...

Re: Jazz in Hawai`i

Bruddah Leo Lakio, What a wonderful tribute and interesting thread! I don't have any answers to your questions but may I add a few trivia of my own? You got no choice.hehhehe

Jazz in Hawai'i back in the day was swinging! My Ohana got roots. Infact, my brother above me is named after the late Trummy Young. He is his God Father. My brother, Trummy's dad played Bass with Trummy Young and many famous musicians in Hawai'i. His dad is from the Jazz Family ~ Aspera's! The Baaangs were also well known too. Many families in Hawai'i played the Jazz Circuit at places such as the Brown Derby. MAMA is not here so I can't ask the odda places.

Growing up and listning to Jazz made me appreciate the sounds and beat.

I'm an All Jazz Gal!

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
      A mention of jazz concerts in another thread got me thinking about this: where are your favorite places to catch live jazz in Hawai`i? What to you make an effort to hear - traditional and mainstream sounds, free-expression and edgy experimental stuff, pop-flavored smooth jazz, whatever and however you want to define it? Who are some of the resident Island jazz musicians you can regularly hear in performance?
      I'm nowhere near the night person I used to be so have totally lost touch with the local jazz world. I have no idea if there is such a thing as a regular performance anymore. Ooooh, for the days when Jimmy Borges and Betty Loo Taylor were at Trappers.
      Here's a sidebar music trivia question (can you get it without doing an internet search?) --- On the classic 1960 Capitol album "Ports of Paradise" (recently reissued on CD), there is a female singer featured on two of the tracks - who is she AND who is her famous musical son (still involved in music in Hawai`i to this day)? There is a connection to jazz here...
      Hmmm...no Googling allowed, huh?! In that case, the only family duo that comes to mind is Akemi Paulo and Michael Paulo...altho' Michael hasn't lived in Hawaii for years. And I think Akemi danced...don't know if she sang.

And, the Google answer is...
      Mavis Rivers (son is Matt Catingub, iirc)!
      Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
      [...]Infact, my brother above me is named after the late Trummy Young.[...]
      I bet you also know Andrea?!
      [...]I'm an All Jazz Gal!
      I knew there was another reason I liked you!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        And, the Google answer is...
        Mavis Rivers (son is Matt Catingub, iirc)!
        You do rc, Sue.
        It's fitting that you would answer, since it was one of your posts (in the Pat Benatar thread) that inspired this thread.

Comment

I enjoy listening to jazz music occasionally, but I'm nowhere near a big enough fan to mention specific people in the local music scene. However, when I want a jazz fix, I'll go to:

The Dragon Upstairs
          http://www.thedragonupstairs.com/

Jazz Minds Art & Cafe
          http://honolulujazzclub.com/

Lewers Lounge
          http://www.halekulani.com/dining/lewers_lounge/

Certain nights at the Honolulu Club
          http://www.honoluluclub.com/spot.php?id_num=7041&type=N

Tues nights at 39HotelStreet
          http://www.thirtyninehotel.com/

I'm sure there are other places, but those are the ones I know about

Comment

I bet you also know Andrea?!

I knew there was another reason I liked you!
            Unfortunately, tutusue...I'm the youngest of seven. I didn't get to meet the Stars nor their children. I did get to hear the many Stories. I grew up loving the sounds and styles of the 30's, 40's, 50's and 60's!

Listening once again to the Beat!
            http://www.jimbowieband.com/Lyrics/just_a_gigolo.htm
            Bop, boze ziddy boze ziddy bop, zee bop!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Not a big jazz fan, but Betty Loo Taylor......WOW! Saw a documentary of her at HIFF a few years back and seen her play a couple times. Even if you knew nothing about music, you'd see and hear her play and be amazed. Heard that when the Kahala Mandarin changed owners, he regular gig there ended. anyone know where she's at now?

Comment

I like to catch the old haole guy that plays piano in the Mahina Lounge in the Ala Moana Hotel. He played at my folks' wedding. Can't remember his name. He's awesome.
                Don't be mean,
                try to help.

Comment

Originally posted by tvguy View Post
                  Heard that when the Kahala Mandarin changed owners, he regular gig there ended. anyone know where she's at now?
                  Betty Loo is still at the Kahala Veranda on Mondays and Tuesdays.

Comment

We watched Cory Oliveros play at the Maitai Bar last Friday (usually he's there Tues. & Thurs.). Although not specifically a Jazz musician, you can definately hear his jazz foundation in his guitar stylings. Especially the sophisticated guitar chord combos. Excellent musician.

Then there's Daniel Ho, although I've never seen him perform live (except in High School) or purchased any of his albums. I'll be certain to have a listen next time I'm in Borders.

Such a bummer... Al Di Meola's concert tour itinerary is booked all over the mainland and elsewhere, with no mention of a stop in Hawaii. I should email them.
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by jdub View Post
                      I like to catch the old haole guy that plays piano in the Mahina Lounge in the Ala Moana Hotel. He played at my folks' wedding. Can't remember his name. He's awesome.
                      Paul Conrad...who I fondly call Uncle Dad! 'Cept he's not all that older than I am! He's a wonderful pianist.

And then there's Kit Samson, ex of the old Kahala Hilton and, like Paul, plays at The Mahina Lounge. He's another wonderful pianist. Kit was the leader of the Sound Advice at the KH for close to 25 years. That band rocked and that's where I used to dance 6 nights a week...when I could! Ooooh...those were such fun times! Uncle Dad would show up and sit in as would most every musician both local and those who were traveling thru Oahu...esp. if they were staying at the KH. One of my favorite stories was the night a diner in the Maile Room (next to the lounge where the band played) called the hostess over to say how much he was enjoying the music and how much the pianist sounded like George Shearing. Little did the diner know that was, in fact, George Shearing...sitting in! Another fun story was the band playing Stevie Wonder's "Part Time Lover"...and Stevie was listening from the top of the stairs out of sight from the band! Harada's column once rumored me at the Maile Lounge with Tony Curtis!!! Right Lounge...wrong table! Lots and lots of fun stories. Egads...I sure miss that place.

Comment

Some of the old Jazz places Zebra Room, Orchid Ballroom in Waikiki, Top of Ala Moana Hotel, Barefoot Bar, Bluenote, Two Jacks Bar, Golden Gate on Beretania...I got dis from MAMA!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

This website has a pretty comprehensive listing of jazz in Honolulu:

http://www.honolulujazzscene.net/

Comment

Thanks for the links, AC and Dick. Yippee! There are a few 6p and 7p gigs. Even a couple of afternoon gigs on the week-ends!

Comment

Paul Conrad...who I fondly call Uncle Dad! 'Cept he's not all that older than I am! He's a wonderful pianist.

And then there's Kit Samson, ex of the old Kahala Hilton and, like Paul, plays at The Mahina Lounge. He's another wonderful pianist. Kit was the leader of the Sound Advice at the KH for close to 25 years. That band rocked and that's where I used to dance 6 nights a week...when I could! Ooooh...those were such fun times! Uncle Dad would show up and sit in as would most every musician both local and those who were traveling thru Oahu...esp. if they were staying at the KH. One of my favorite stories was the night a diner in the Maile Room (next to the lounge where the band played) called the hostess over to say how much he was enjoying the music and how much the pianist sounded like George Shearing. Little did the diner know that was, in fact, George Shearing...sitting in! Another fun story was the band playing Stevie Wonder's "Part Time Lover"...and Stevie was listening from the top of the stairs out of sight from the band! Harada's column once rumored me at the Maile Lounge with Tony Curtis!!! Right Lounge...wrong table! Lots and lots of fun stories. Egads...I sure miss that place.
                              Thanks for Paul's name, Tutu. And the KH stories. Classic.
                              Don't be mean,
                              try to help.

Comment

Working...
                              X