X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pomai
    replied
    Re: Love Songs You Love

A few (very few of the) way-overplayed, yet still great "old school" (mostly 70'-80's) classics...
    • Always and Forever - Heatwave
    • Reasons - Earth, Wind & Fire
    • Love Will Lead You Back, I'll Always Love You - Taylor Dayne
    • (For You) I'd Chase A Rainbow, Dorothy Louise (break-up song) - Kalapana

From that same era, a few mainstream pop/rock/metal power ballads!... (bust out your lighter)
    • Faithfully, Open Arms - Journey
    • Every Breath You Take, Wrapped Around Your Finger - The Police
    • Still Lovin' You - Scorpions
    • Headed for a Heartbreak (break-up) - Winger
    • Every Rose Has Its Thorn (break-up) - Poison
    • November Rain (break-up) - Guns 'N' Roses
    • Love Comes Walking In - Van Halen
    • Is This Love? - Whitesnake

Sade is always high on my "love songs" play list. Almost the entire LOVE DELUXE album was like the music of my heart in a past relationship, all composed in one entire, perfectly done album, from beginning to end.

Note: YouTube's got videos of almost everything suggested in this thread.

Leave a comment:

• Mike_Lowery
    replied

I just read that top 100 list...songs that are talking about imminent breakups and cheating made the list.

Leave a comment:

• Kory K
    replied

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
    Happy Valentine's Day! Our own jkpescador sent me the link to this list of The 100 Greatest Love Songs. Whitney Matheson at "Pop Candy" said it "appears to have been compiled by a 103-year-old man," and asked her readers for their own suggestions, netting dozens of more contemporary tracks. She even set up a Finetunes "V-Day List" online radio station to feature some of them.
    Yeesh. I just looked through the list. How did Steve Windwood get on the list? At No. 40 no less. "Take on Me" and "Come on Eileen" made it before "When I Fall in Love" by Nat King Cole.
    Look at his picture. This guy must be single and living in the basement of his parents house.

Leave a comment:

• Kory K
    replied

Since some people are having a major 80's flashback here I'll contribute to the cause. Here's some 80's from artists begining with "A". Don't ask for more cause I've got pages of this junk and you'll be sorry.

Gregory Abbott
    • Shake You Down

Bryan Adams
    • Heaven

Air Supply
    • Any one of their mushy songs can go here

America
    • Right Before Your Eyes

Ashford and Simpson
    • Solid

Rick Astley
    • Never Gonna Give You Up

Atlantic Starr
    • Always
    • Masterpiece

Patti Austin and James Ingram
    • Baby Come to Me

Leave a comment:

• Mike_Lowery
    replied

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
    You Are My Lady - Freddie Jackson
    As We Lay - Kelly Price
    The Luckiest - Ben Folds
    For You - Kenny Lattimore
    With You - Tony Terry
    I Love You (For Sentimental Reasons) - Linda Rondstadt (but what I'd give to hear Lopaka Kanaka`ole sing it again! )
    Piano in the Dark - Brenda Russell
    All My Life - K-Ci & Jojo
    Through the Fire - Chaka Khan
    Everytime I Close My Eyes - Babyface
    if I ever get a gf, I'ma sing this in her ear when cuddlin

Leave a comment:

• CranBeree
    replied

Whenever You Come Around by Vince Gil

Give Me Forever ( I do ) by James Ingram.

Leave a comment:

• DannyWilliams
    replied

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
    Oh No- the Commodores
    The first time I heard this song was in the movie The Last American Virgin. That last part of the movie when the girl goes back to the guy who knocked her up and Lionel's voice starts....No matter how nice you are you don't necessarily get the girl........."Oh No"

Not to go off topic I wanted to break something when I saw that.
    My ending would have been slapping da stupid girl and sucker punch da idiot dat knocked her up

Leave a comment:

• pzarquon
    replied

Actually, scriv, I was surprised you didn't start the day with a "solace for the lovelorn" anti-Valentine's Day thread. This thread is way too conventional, but playing with Finetune I couldn't resist.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to race home to my patient wife and crazy kids and take them out to dinner. I don't have a valentine... I've got a whole gaggle of 'em!

Any harried parent love songs out there?

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

...you never use my ideas.

Leave a comment:

• pzarquon
    replied

Ah, scrivener. Of course.

Okay, anti-love songs, breakup songs, and other VD-backlash songs are a category unto themselves. Here's a list from NPR, here's some you can download (today only, and the file host sucks), and here's a whole blog about them (also with some MP3s). I've got a good playlist for this stuff, too.

But as I mentioned in the original post, I'll looking for mostly straightforward love songs. A category in which there's still quite a bit of variety and certainly a fair helping of winking and sarcasm!

Leave a comment:

• tutusue
    replied

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
    [...][*]"One More Minute" by Weird Al Yankovic. 'Cause I'm stranded all alone in the gas station of love and I have to use the self-service pumps.
    Bwahahahahaha <snort><gasp>!

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied
    • "Goodbye to Love" by the Carpenters. There are no tomorrows for this heart of mine...
    • "I am a Rock" by Paul Simon. And a rock feels no pain. And an island never cries.
    • "One More Minute" by Weird Al Yankovic. 'Cause I'm stranded all alone in the gas station of love and I have to use the self-service pumps.

Leave a comment:

• pzarquon
    replied

Wow. You've been busy! A good mix in there, too. Some classics, some rock, some... different.

Well, I've nicked about a dozen tracks from jkpescador's play list, just so the "VD@HT Playlist" can go live. But keep posting your picks and I'll add them to the mix, and you can have an internet radio station of sorts express HT's love for y'all.

Leave a comment:

• jkpescador
    replied

Here is my playlist from finetune.com:
    http://www.finetune.com/playlist/1359060

I'm having fun. It's a work in progress.

It's the ultimate mix tape for your sweetie. Perhaps my playlist will change when I'm mad at her. Haha! Just kidding.

Leave a comment:

• pzarquon
    replied

Let's see. Off the top of my head...
    • "At Last," Etta James
    • "Crazy On You," Heart
    • "Like Someone in Love," Bjork
    • "Could I Have This Dance," Ann Murray
    • "If I Had $1,000,000," Barenaked Ladies
    • "Let's Stay Together," Al Green
    • "Another First Kiss," They Might Be Giants
    And several Hawaiian songs, E Ho'i I Ka Pili, E Ho'i Mai, E Maliu Mai, Ku'ulei Ku'uipo...

Only about half of these tracks are available at Finetune, so I still need about 20 more to launch a streaming station. Hope jkpescador chimes in soon with his picks -- he inspired me in the first place!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X