Love Songs You Love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Love Songs You Love

As a not-so-closeted Rupert Holmes fan, I'm glad to see the clarifications of the earlier songlist errors, and may I recommend that folks pick up a copy of his first album, "Widescreen," which has been reissued on CD a couple of times with bonus material. The man created some brilliant "little movies in song form," and this album has several of his best, written years before he decided to shift to shorter pop hits. His skills as an arranger also shine on this disc, which is what led Barbra Streisand to hire him as arranger/producer on a couple of her albums.

Then there are his two humorous murder-mystery novels, "Where the Truth Lies" (made into a film by Atom Egoyan) and "Swing" (note to Scrivener & 1stwahine: much of it takes place on Treasure Island); his Broadway musical based on an unfinished Dickens novel (where the audience gets to decide whodunnit - and the show has six different endings to accomodate the vote), "The Mystery of Edwin Drood"; as well as a one-man show about George Burns, "Say Goodnight, Gracie"; and several other plays. Oh, and the TV series "Remember WENN," about a pre-WWII radio station, a show that ran on AMC for four seasons. Plus about a dozen albums, some music for TV shows, and so on.

He's been a busy man - and he's a charming guy, too.

Comment

Originally posted by DannyWilliams View Post
      HOLD UP!

I had to reference the iTunes store according to your line up here......

Rupert Holmes did "Key Largo" ? Well wasn't that done by Bertie Higgins?
      And Michael Franks recorded "The Pina Colada Song" aka Escape (The Pina Colada Song) " which goes something like If ya like Pinnnnnna Colaaaaaada getting caught in the rain the yiddi yiddi yada...something about red tape etc?
      Well that was definately Rupert Holmes.
      well, EXCUUUUSE ME! I guess I'm not the musical expert that all the rest of you are. I just know the songs I like and somehow, even with making mistakes on the artist - I've still managed to find them and download to my IPod so I can enjoy them.

Why not give those of us who are not experts a bit of a break and not be so anal about all this - I'm sure you aren't the only one who can use google or ITunes to correct another person's mistakes without making them feel stupid by broadcasting the way you did that we make mistakes! and it could have been done without the sarcastic smiley you added.
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Let's not get bent outta shape...............
        Now if I quoted something in the realms of what cartoon character Ren Hoek would say then I would be outta line.

Comment

Originally posted by DannyWilliams View Post
          Let's not get bent outta shape...............
          Now if I quoted something in the realms of what cartoon character Ren Hoek would say then I would be outta line.
          There are ways to correct a person's mistakes without being all snarky about it. That's all I was saying.
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
            Nothings Gonna Stop My Love For You
            Hehe...

I did like the duet Mr. Medeiros did with that french chick though, that song was hot, especially when she sang in french.

"Love always finds a reason
            To keep me here believin'
            When I feel our love is slipping away
            And it seems that love always finds a reason
            To make us stay
            And even through the darkest night
            The feeling survives
            And you know when you look at me
            You'll find the reason in my eyes
            "
            Last edited by Keanu; February 17, 2007, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
              Nothings Gonna Stop My Love For You
              Dahil Saiyo

Haha... you're cracking me up aunty. I was a construction laborer in my early 20's and I worked with a nice filipino guy, older gentleman, who would always sing that song, I remember it well..."Dahil Sa iyo, nais kong mabuhay". It brings fond memories back to me.

Comment

I don't remember where it came from but the lyrics to this wonderful love song went like this...

"Please don't let this feeling end

It's everything I am

Everything I want to be

I can see what's mine now

Finding out what's true

Since I found you..oooooohhhhhhhhhh

Looking through the eyes of love"

It was a figure skating movie with Robbie Benson.

Comment

Styx's "Babe", best love song of all time.

Comment

I always thought When I'm With You from Sheriff was a great love song.

And I always thought I Can't Make You Love Me from Bonnie Raitt was a great 'make-out' song.

DD
                    www.myspace.com/chrislunainstrumentals

Comment

my ALL TIME love song is:

Michael Johnson (of 'bluer than blue fame') and his song, 'I'll Always Love You'..you can see many imitating that song and guitar playing on youtube.com..

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
                        I don't remember where it came from but the lyrics to this wonderful love song went like this...

"Please don't let this feeling end

It's everything I am

Everything I want to be

I can see what's mine now

Finding out what's true

Since I found you..oooooohhhhhhhhhh

Looking through the eyes of love"

It was a figure skating movie with Robbie Benson.
                        It's "Through the Eyes of Love," the theme from the movie Ice Castles, sung by Melissa Manchester. From what I remember, it was about a figure skater who suffered an accident that leaves her visually impaired.
                        Last edited by Keith H.; February 17, 2007, 09:03 PM. Reason: who sung it
                        http://www.pineapplejuice.net/freshly-squeezed

Comment

Guess I agree with Kory that any of Air Supply's songs could fit the bill, but I think the best one is "Two Less Lonely People in the World."

And seeing that this was for Valentine's Day, I'm surprised no one mentioned Jim Brickman on piano and Martina McBride on vocals: "Valentine."
                          http://www.pineapplejuice.net/freshly-squeezed

Comment

Working...
                          X