Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Britney Finished?

Originally posted by zztype View Post
    Or this url will bring you directly to the Britney Jumps the Shark article.
    We really felt that the crowd was pulling for poor Brit. It's really hard to watch someone who was once so talented (at least talented at making us want to watch her), fall on her face. Publicly. Again. We wanted her to kick ass. We wanted a comeback. But obviously, based on that apathetic and sloppy performance, Brit's not coming back anytime soon.
    Geez, I remember when that happened to Joe Cocker. Various addictions (mostly alcohol) had pretty much ruined his musical career, and he kinda vanished for a very long time. Then he purportedly cleaned up his act, and went for a grand comeback by doing a concert at The Roxy in Hollywood, attended by lots of VIPs and many in the media and in the radio biz (including yours truly). Sadly, Cocker was soooooo nervous about the event that he drank himself into a near stupor just before going on stage. Falling down drunk. Very very sad. (And unlike Britney, most of Cocker's crowd that night were really pulling for him to succeed.)
    Cocker and his wife now own and manage The Mad Dog Ranch, a bed-and-breakfast inn in Colorado.

About Britney -- is there a link to YouTube or somewhere that shows her so-called 'performance' last night?
    Last edited by LikaNui; September 10, 2007, 07:28 PM. Reason: Added link

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
      About Britney -- is there a link to YouTube or somewhere that shows her so-called 'performance' last night?
      Go directly to MTV.com. They have it there (with just a short commercial before it).
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
        There's a fine line between schadenfreude and just plain mean and nasty, and most of the Britney (Paris, Lindsey, Nicole) talk I hear is so far past mean and nasty that it sickens me far beyond the behavior that inspires it.
        Amen to that!!! Who among us would want to live under the intense microscope she does? Where every single minute of her life is scrutinized and pseudo-analyzed by evil paparazzi.
        If I was King Of The World, paparazzi would be eliminated totally.

Comment

Amen to that!!! Who among us would want to live under the intense microscope she does? Where every single minute of her life is scrutinized and pseudo-analyzed by evil paparazzi.
          If I was King Of The World, paparazzi would be eliminated totally.
          But then you'd have to eliminate women, who are the primary demographic of tabloids and other mediums of celebrity gossip, who in turn pay the paparazzi for the journalistic content they need.

It's a vicious cycle.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Who among us would want to live under the intense microscope she does? Where every single minute of her life is scrutinized and pseudo-analyzed by evil paparazzi.
            People like that need the paparazzi to survive. Without tabloids and so-called "reality" TV, dozens of today's celebrities would be living in obscurity. And that might just be a blessing, as we consumers might not be force-fed the crap that the media conglomerates want us to swallow - and could instead focus on people with actual talent. If Ms. Spears would like a life free of scrutiny, she could start by staying off television and focusing instead on creating a "normal" environment for her children. But that's obviously not what she wants, so that's not what she'll get - I shed no tears for her.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
              Go directly to MTV.com. They have it there (with just a short commercial before it).
              Thanks, I think. Found it at this link. Fairly underwhelming. The Taco Bell commercial was more interesting, personally. But the audience gave her a pretty good round of applause at the end. Not sure why so many (and I don't mean here on HT) are jumping on the Destroy Britney bandwagon.
              Hell, she's young. And she's worth $150 million, as I recall. She doesn't need the kind of BS she's being dealt. She needs some guidance in making better life and career choices, is all.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                If Ms. Spears would like a life free of scrutiny, she could start by staying off television and focusing instead on creating a "normal" environment for her children. But that's obviously not what she wants, so that's not what she'll get - I shed no tears for her.
                i wonder how many male celebs (with or without children) go out clubbing and drinking etc. etc. but, in contrast to female celebs, never get outed by paparazzi. i can't think of any male celebs who are followed with such passionate doggedness as spears, lohan, et al. are. yet, i can't imagine that it's only the females who are acting so scandalously.

when have we ever said of a famous man, "if mr. so and so would like a life free of scrutiny....he should stay home with his kids." i mean, we usually don't hear about male celebs' hard partying until they've been arrested and ramble on about how jews are the bane of the universe or fall down dead on the sidewalk fronting the viper room because of a drug or alcohol OD. even then, we don't say, "what the hell was he doing out drinking like a wanton bachelor? how come he wasn't home with his wife and kids??!!" if we do, it's never with the vehemence we spend on spears, etc.

i know i'm going kinda off topic, but this is just more proof of how life is far from equal for men and women--even for those who are celebs. it disgusts me that pomai is likely right, too--that women are the biggest consumers of paparazzi-produced crap. so, more "crab syndrome" (go see the women in a man's world thread if you need an explanation for that).

pisses me off to no end.
                superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
                  i wonder how many male celebs (with or without children) go out clubbing and drinking etc. etc. but, in contrast to female celebs, never get outed by paparazzi. i can't think of any male celebs who are followed with such passionate doggedness as spears, lohan, et al. are. yet, i can't imagine that it's only the females who are acting so scandalously.
                  For a few years, it seemed like Charlie Sheen was the guy, but even at its worst, it was never like this.

if we do, it's never with the vehemence we spend on spears, etc.
                  I think you bring up a good point I've never considered. Women celebrities DO seem to be held to different standards. There was the Alex Rodriguez thing, but that seemed to be a big deal only in New York. Tom Brady, Pac-Man Jones, Michael Vick, and David Beckham get a fair amount of scrutiny, but I watch sports talk shows and maybe they don't get nearly as much coverage in mainstream media. Hm.
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

this is just more proof of how life is far from equal for men and women--even for those who are celebs. it disgusts me that pomai is likely right, too--that women are the biggest consumers of paparazzi-produced crap. so, more "crab syndrome" (go see the women in a man's world thread if you need an explanation for that).

pisses me off to no end.
                    I risked saying that in fear of being labeled a sexist. But it's the plain hard fact.

My girlfriend is a major HOUND of tabloid gossip. She has the TV channel on E!, VH-1... wherever there's something said about a celeb', she's watching it. So is the same for my mother. She buys Enquirer, Star, and all that other supermarket checkout tabloids trash. Which is exactly what it is. I get on her case all time about that.

Don't get me wrong. I love you ladies with all my heart. Just saying.

As far as Britney, Paris France, Brangelina, or any other cover story on Enquirer or E!, I could care less. Pass me the remote.
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                      I risked saying that in fear of being labeled a sexist. But it's the plain hard fact.

My girlfriend is a major HOUND of tabloid gossip. She has the TV channel on E!, VH-1... wherever there's something said about a celeb', she's watching it. So is the same for my mother. She buys Enquirer, Star, and all that other supermarket checkout tabloids trash. Which is exactly what it is. I get on her case all time about that.

Don't get me wrong. I love you ladies with all my heart. Just saying.

As far as Britney, Paris France, Brangelina, or any other cover story on Enquirer or E!, I could care less. Pass me the remote.
                      for the record, pomai, i didn't call you sexist. i was only expressing my disgust at how what you said is likely true and that it's another example of women hating on women or at least relishing another woman's misery/failings as a way to feel good about themselves. sucks assdookie on a stick.

for the other record, it's not "i could care less," it's "i couldn't care less."
                      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

for the record, pomai, i didn't call you sexist. i was only expressing my disgust at how what you said is likely true and that it's another example of women hating on women or at least relishing another woman's misery/failings as a way to feel good about themselves. sucks assdookie on a stick.

for the other record, it's not "i could care less," it's "i couldn't care less."
                        I know you weren't saying that. I'm just covering my butt.
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

put me in the group that has no real curiosity on how she chooses to conduct her personal life. But if one looks up any clips of B.S. performing live, one has to see how consistently, over the span of her career, she worked her ass off on stage to give high intensity performances. In comparison, it is hard not to be disappointed with her stint on the 2007 VMAs.

I forgive her for having bad fashion sense when she knows full well that her outfit would be scrutinized no matter what it was. But to give a lazy live performance when you tell me "it's Britney, bitch!" Awheeeellllllno!

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                            Whither Debbie Gibson?
                            I'm trying to recall if Debbie has suffered the same downward spiral as Britney but I can't.

She has moved on from her "bubblegum pop star" days and into broadway musicals. FWIW, at least she's doing good.

Tiffany OTOH, has her ups and down, which includes posing for Playboy and putting extra junk in her trunk but she's a non-partying mother now.

Somebody have got to stage an intervention on Britney, that includes terminating her leeching entourage that are encouraging her partying ways.
                            Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                              Britney who?

Like Elvis, I will fondly remember the young, vibrant skinny version.
                              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                                I'm trying to recall if Debbie has suffered the same downward spiral as Britney but I can't.

She has moved on from her "bubblegum pop star" days and into broadway musicals. FWIW, at least she's doing good.

Tiffany OTOH, has her ups and down, which includes posing for Playboy and putting extra junk in her trunk but she's a non-partying mother now.
                                As I recall Tiffany was one of the very last acts to play at the old Gussie Lamours (sp?) out by the airport.

Deborah Gibson never posed in PLAYBOY? I'm sure she has been offered many times as has Britney Spears.

Aj

Comment

Working...
                                X