Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Britney Finished?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Re: Britney Finished?

    I echo Scrivener's sentiments. I'm not a big fan of Britney's music (I'm more of a rocker than not) but I believe that people are so quick to judge. Let the girl be. There's so much negativity out there. Rarely do you hear about the good things that people do -- we usually focus on the negative or point out the "bad" things about one's performance.
    I say "Judge not, lest ye be judged." Matthew 7:1
    Just MHO.

    ~Kalei~
    So long...and thanks for all the fish!

    Comment


    • #47
      Re: Britney Finished?

      Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
      i wonder how many male celebs (with or without children) go out clubbing and drinking etc. etc. but, in contrast to female celebs, never get outed by paparazzi. i can't think of any male celebs who are followed with such passionate doggedness as spears, lohan, et al. are. yet, i can't imagine that it's only the females who are acting so scandalously.
      I would say the same about Kevin Federline - only his track record with regards to children leads me to believe it's better that he NOT be involved in their upbringing.

      It's rather hard to argue against your first point since, as you noted, without them being "outed," we have no way of knowing whether they are out clubbing or not. But how many male celebs would go out in public sans underwear, knowing full well that they might get photographed showing their wares?

      Look at Ms. Spears behavior since her career took off. She craves the publicity; it's her drug. Sorry - she won't earn my sympathy until she behaves as if she does not want to be in the spotlight.

      And it's not just her. There are plenty of low-talent hacks foisted on us, male and female, who I would like to ignore - but I don't really wanna live in a cave in Afghanistan, so I accept that I will see & hear of their follies --- but you can't make me care about their downfalls.

      Comment


      • #48
        Re: Britney Finished?

        Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
        I would say the same about Kevin Federline - only his track record with regards to children leads me to believe it's better that he NOT be involved in their upbringing.

        It's rather hard to argue against your first point since, as you noted, without them being "outed," we have no way of knowing whether they are out clubbing or not. But how many male celebs would go out in public sans underwear, knowing full well that they might get photographed showing their wares?

        Look at Ms. Spears behavior since her career took off. She craves the publicity; it's her drug. Sorry - she won't earn my sympathy until she behaves as if she does not want to be in the spotlight.

        And it's not just her. There are plenty of low-talent hacks foisted on us, male and female, who I would like to ignore - but I don't really wanna live in a cave in Afghanistan, so I accept that I will see & hear of their follies --- but you can't make me care about their downfalls.
        leo, i wasn't trying to "make you care" about them, nor be sympathetic. duh, i'm smart enough to know i can't "make" anyone do anything they don't want to, especially on something like a discussion board. i was merely pointing out that given female celebs and male celebs who have reached a certain level of fame/notoriety (whether deserved or not), the male celebs are likely to get a pass that the females don't.

        as for male celebs who go out not wearing underwear? i distinctly remember eminem, himself a parent, going out and flashing not just the back side but the front side--not just "knowing full well" that he might be photographed, but purposely to the paparazzi. when he did it, he didn't get anywhere near the same amount of finger-wagging and tsktsking britney did. i mean, this guy did a song about killing his wife, and yes, i will heartily admit he got flack for it, but nowhere near the kind of negative press that britney does. and where, where? did she write lyrics so incendiary as eminem's?

        oh, and how many generations are there of male rockers have given drug addled, piss-poor, incoherent performances? these same guys sometimes not only had children, but had children by several different women, and did not marry them. yet we don't hear about those unless we see the stories, years later, on vh-1's "behind the music."



        yep. still pissed about the double standard.
        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

        "when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

        nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

        Comment


        • #49
          Re: Britney Finished?

          Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
          i was merely pointing out that given female celebs and male celebs who have reached a certain level of fame/notoriety (whether deserved or not), the male celebs are likely to get a pass that the females don't. --- yep. still pissed about the double standard.
          I don't see a double standard, actually. I see more women in the bad spotlight these days, because (1) there are far more women in the top tiers of entertainment than there were just thirty years ago (especially in popular music - which is a GOOD thing), and (2) the press used to be more complicit in hiding "bad habits" than they are now.
          Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
          yes, i will heartily admit (Eminem) got flack for it, but nowhere near the kind of negative press that britney does.
          Well, since I avoid, rather than follow celebrity "news," I can't cite anything that says he got as much bad press - but I don't think you can prove that he got less, either. I certainly remember hearing or reading very harsh press about him, and for a long time, too. I think people will talk about his misogynistic lyrics for a lot longer than the MTV Video Awards performance that started this thread.
          Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
          oh, and how many generations are there of male rockers have given drug addled, piss-poor, incoherent performances? these same guys sometimes not only had children, but had children by several different women, and did not marry them. yet we don't hear about those unless we see the stories, years later, on vh-1's "behind the music."
          What - have people finally stopped talking about Keith Richards's heavy drug use, or Mick Jagger's rocky relationships, or any of the other abuses of rockers from the '60s? No one speaks of Brian Wilson's messed-up nature, or Phil Spector's bizzare behavior? How about Patti Boyd's new book, where she tells how, despite years of begging from Eric Clapton, she insisted on staying with and trying to rebuild her marriage to George Harrison - until he had an affair with Ringo's wife, Maureen?

          The stories of these men are out there, but the general public shows less interest in old fut stars than in attractive young female celebs. Perhaps that's the double standard. Maybe there's where the problem lies - with the consumers of this crap than with those who feed it to us.

          Comment


          • #50
            Re: Britney Finished?

            She should be finished for the foreseeable future. The sad and embarassingly unprofessional way that the MTV show opened makes one wonder...who'd be more pitiful, the people that would PAY to go see her anytime soon, or her for daring to actually try to sell tickets for people to actually sit and watch her.

            I've seen better moves in Jazzercise class!

            She makes over 700K a month, so if she has no career left she'll be fine if she just won't blow it all on partying, hence her kids may...be fine. Dunno, as her parenting skills are questionable to say the least.
            Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

            Comment


            • #51
              Re: Britney Finished?

              From salon.com:

              There was also the harsh but deserved criticism of her performance and, more horrendously, of her physique. Spears, it seems, two children and five years of self-abuse later, no longer pleases the public with her hourglass shape. No, her ill-fitting outfit showed off a figure that was not as compact and pink as it was when she was a teenager. Sure, she looked better in a bikini than probably 98 percent of the Americans sitting on their couches and howling at her, but she was no longer porn-star perfect. And in the American lexicon, that equals fat. Wonder why your daughters have eating disorders and hate their bodies? Maybe because they're reading reports that label the thin young woman dancing around in a bra and panties physically unappealing and obese.

              But shame on Spears for cheerfully submitting to our expectations once again, after all these years and all the crap she's taken. I'm willing to believe that she was pushed into show business by a striving mom (a woman whom time, and the arrival of Vampire Mother of the Damned Dina Lohan on the scene, has flattered), molded into a confusing vamp-virgin and told to sing songs about being hit while wearing a schoolgirl outfit; I'm willing to believe that she was offered no moral structure or opportunity to build a personality of her own; I'm willing to believe that she is a victim of grotesque class expectations that chucked her back in the Cheetohs-and-trucker-hats ghetto as swiftly as erotic expectations plucked her from it. But I'm not willing to believe that she was forced by anyone to show up on national television on Sunday night.
              IMO, this is probably the best and most truthful breakdown of the...well, breakdown, that is britney spears.
              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

              "when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

              nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

              Comment


              • #52
                Re: Britney Finished?

                that is not a bad break down of things. Like Madonna, she might reinvent herself again and again, but only time will tell.

                Personally, I much prefer the shapeliness of the new, so call" less then porn perfect" Britney. I think the media sends the wrong idea of beauty, but that is another story.

                She is a human, and trying to make a buck ultimately. Though she is not, and has never been my cup of tea, I still feel she is a poor role model. If I had a teen/preteen daughter, I would not want her looking up to that as a positive figure. I am sure my parents thought the same thing about some of the punk rockers I grew up listening to, but oh well.

                I guess overall, I am just always surprised that so many people revolve around somebodies empty life. Celebrity life seems to almost rule the headlines, and that is sad, imo.

                I, for one, would like to see a new breed of musician that is NOT a copycat clone, made to sell records and sacrifice actual talent for marketability. The market is flooded with too many no talent ass clowns. Seems that it is all a case of re-hash. Britney is set, she could drop out now and never look back, I will still work for a living. I don't care what she is doing or what is is fouling up. If more people had that mindset, we wouldn't give a crap. Youtube is FULL of people doing stupid things and performing badly, that is entertainment enough for me.
                flickr

                An email from God:
                To: People of Earth
                From: God
                Date: 9/04/2007
                Subject: stop

                knock it off, all of you

                seriously, what the hell


                --
                God

                Comment


                • #53
                  Re: Britney Finished?

                  Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
                  [...]I, for one, would like to see a new breed of musician that is NOT a copycat clone, [...]
                  For me that's 3rd place AIer, Melinda Doolittle.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Why I think Kanye didn't host the VMAs

                    With the VMAs happening close to the date that Kanye West's "Graduation" was released in stores (it was released on rapidshare and zshare a couple months ago), many people are wondering why Britney Spears got to open the popular awards show. Well, Kanye will be around for several more years, selling several million more CDs. MTV was doing the music industry a favor and killing off an era of teen/ 20-something pop stars from the late '90s to early 2000's.

                    I have not watched MTV since leaving college in 2005, in protest that the channel actually be of substance to garner my attention, but I applaud their choice to end Britney's career this past weekend. Inducing her backstage meltdown after her performance will hopefully resurrect hip-hop, and induce a maturation process for Britney. Hopefully now she will have time to ensure that her kids (plural?) are properly restrained in a car seat, get back in shape, and find a decent husband.

                    Hip-hop forever!
                    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite


                    flickr

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Re: Why I think Kanye didn't host the VMAs

                      Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                      With the VMAs happening close to the date that Kanye West's "Graduation" was released in stores (it was released on rapidshare and zshare a couple months ago), many people are wondering why Britney Spears got to open the popular awards show. Well, Kanye will be around for several more years, selling several million more CDs. MTV was doing the music industry a favor and killing off an era of teen/ 20-something pop stars from the late '90s to early 2000's.

                      I have not watched MTV since leaving college in 2005, in protest that the channel actually be of substance to garner my attention, but I applaud their choice to end Britney's career this past weekend. Inducing her backstage meltdown after her performance will hopefully resurrect hip-hop, and induce a maturation process for Britney. Hopefully now she will have time to ensure that her kids (plural?) are properly restrained in a car seat, get back in shape, and find a decent husband.

                      Hip-hop forever!

                      What ? "Hopefully resurrect hip hop" ? When did hip hop die ?

                      The Top 20 is filled with hip hop. Kids wear hip hop, kids speak hip hop. kids act hip hop....That's all there IS is hip hop.

                      Wat really neds to happen is a resurrection of REAL rock n roll.

                      That's what MTV is sorely missing. There is LOTS of Hip Hop on MTV.
                      http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                      Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                      Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Re: Britney Finished?

                        And what about Kanye's meltdown?

                        I am a little tired of millionaire moguls, with little more then common beats and has been lyrics complaining about how "the man is holding them down"...hip Hop is more then music, it is now a culture, there is no resurrection needed. All one has to do is look around.

                        "West, waiting for an elevator in a crowded hallway, began yelling about losing all five categories for which he was nominated, including male artist of the year.
                        "That's two years in a row, man ... give a black man a chance," said West, stomping around his entourage and directing his comments at a reporter. "I'm trying hard man, I have the ... No. 1 record, man."


                        People need to grow up.


                        http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070910/...rds_kanye_west
                        Last edited by TATTRAT; September 11, 2007, 09:09 PM.
                        flickr

                        An email from God:
                        To: People of Earth
                        From: God
                        Date: 9/04/2007
                        Subject: stop

                        knock it off, all of you

                        seriously, what the hell


                        --
                        God

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Re: Why I think Kanye didn't host the VMAs

                          Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                          What ? "Hopefully resurrect hip hop" ? When did hip hop die ?

                          The Top 20 is filled with hip hop. Kids wear hip hop, kids speak hip hop. kids act hip hop....That's all there IS is hip hop.

                          Wat really neds to happen is a resurrection of REAL rock n roll.

                          That's what MTV is sorely missing. There is LOTS of Hip Hop on MTV.
                          MTV plays rap. hip-hop is not the same. hip-hop has not existed since the mid-'90s.

                          and that's all kids are doing--wearing it, speaking it, acting it--they are not being it.
                          Twitter: LookMaICanWrite


                          flickr

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Re: Britney Finished?

                            Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                            Deborah Gibson never posed in PLAYBOY? I'm sure she has been offered many times as has Britney Spears.
                            Well, she is pretty ... still.

                            It's not like Playboy is going to knock on Rosie O'Donnell's door anytime soon.
                            Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

                            Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Re: Britney Finished?

                              Originally posted by Kalei99 View Post
                              I say "Judge not, lest ye be judged." Matthew 7:1
                              Meh. I'm too old to be a pop star.
                              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

                              Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Re: Why I think Kanye didn't host the VMAs

                                Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                                Hip-hop forever!
                                Meh. I got too much rock n' roll in me. I can only go so far as R&B.
                                Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

                                Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X