X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mel
    replied
    Re: Friends of the Library of Hawaii Book Sale

I don't recall seeing any records at last year's booksale. Someone tell me if they actually see records for sale at this year's sale. I'm missing it this year. Off island.

Leave a comment:

• Honoruru
    replied

The 63rd Friends of the Library of Hawaiʻi Book Sale begins Saturday, June 19, and runs through June 27. Lots of books, records, CDs, DVDs, and more.

Leave a comment:

• Walkoff Balk
    replied

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post

I’m a long-time patron of the Friends of the Library Book Sale (just about the best sale of any type in Hawaii), but sadly have not visited in the last couple of years. I did today, though (found three books for $5, nothing exciting, but still good buys). I like that they extended the books outdoors under tents. When I went to the sale the first time in 1970, I was amazed. At that time it was at the Richard Street YWCA, and it was held closer to August (i.e. hot hot hot!). There were so many people crowded in a tiny room trying to find books and maneuvering themselves around other people. Eventually, a woman in the crowd fainted because of the heat, but it was so packed she literally could not fall down. She was held up by all the people surrounding her. It took a long time for the emergency responders to reach her.

Shortly after that, they changed the venue to Central Intermediate; and shortly after that to McKinley High School, where it’s been held ever since.
    It felt like a sauna in the auditorium especially when coming from a breezy outside. The outside tents had a natural air conditioning.

Leave a comment:

• Honoruru
    replied

Originally posted by sophielynette View Post
    How organized are the books? By genre? I'd be foolhardy to wish for alphabetical.. at my old library the book sale was pretty unorganized -- much as I love browsing, disorganization can be overwhelming.
    It is somewhat organized (just not alphabetically). The books are divided loosely into categories (many, many categories--i.e. “fiction” and sub-categories such as “mysteries”, “romance”, “sci-fi”, etc.), so if you’re looking for one particular book, good luck. But it you’re into discoveries (and I’ve found some amazing finds in the past), this is the sale for you. It is time-consuming, so be prepared to browse, but the pleasure in this sale is in the browsing.

Give it a try. I’ve never gone in the evenings, but it should be cooler than during the day.

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    I was surprised to see how much VHS tapes they had. The DVD selection was small.
    I noticed that, too. Lots and lots of VHS, but only three short shelves of DVD.

I’m a long-time patron of the Friends of the Library Book Sale (just about the best sale of any type in Hawaii), but sadly have not visited in the last couple of years. I did today, though (found three books for $5, nothing exciting, but still good buys). I like that they extended the books outdoors under tents. When I went to the sale the first time in 1970, I was amazed. At that time it was at the Richard Street YWCA, and it was held closer to August (i.e. hot hot hot!). There were so many people crowded in a tiny room trying to find books and maneuvering themselves around other people. Eventually, a woman in the crowd fainted because of the heat, but it was so packed she literally could not fall down. She was held up by all the people surrounding her. It took a long time for the emergency responders to reach her.

Shortly after that, they changed the venue to Central Intermediate; and shortly after that to McKinley High School, where it’s been held ever since.
    Last edited by Honoruru; June 29, 2008, 06:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Walkoff Balk
    replied

I was surprised to see how much VHS tapes they had. The DVD selection was small.
    Last edited by Walkoff Balk; June 29, 2008, 12:26 PM. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• sophielynette
    replied

Was excited to see this sale extends into the evening, I might have to pop by after work someday. How organized are the books? By genre? I'd be foolhardy to wish for alphabetical.. at my old library the book sale was pretty unorganized -- much as I love browsing, disorganization can be overwhelming.

Leave a comment:

• mel
    replied

I was there today. Bought some books, records and a CD. Great baragins. Will go back again.

Leave a comment:

• Walkoff Balk
    started a topic Friends of the Library of Hawaii Book Sale

Friends of the Library of Hawaii Book Sale

This topic might have been covered from previous years. Which section are you most interested in as far as books? I checked out the CD section today. They have their own tent now along with records from the public radio station. I'll go later to check out the books in the health, entertainment, and sports section.
Working...
X