Clear All

• Walkoff Balk
    replied
    13th annual Music & Book Sale kicks off at Ward Village | KHON2

Reading for the weekend.

Leave a comment:

• Walkoff Balk
    replied
    Ward Village Friends of the Library store sells used books year-round | Honolulu Star-Advertiser (staradvertiser.com)

It's not just for a couple of weeks during the summer.

Leave a comment:

• Walkoff Balk
    replied
    Annual Booksale Archives - Friends of the Library of Hawaii

Couple of more days left.

Leave a comment:

• Walkoff Balk
    replied
    Heads up book lovers! 73rd annual book sale returns at Ward Village (hawaiinewsnow.com)

It's that time of the year.

Leave a comment:

• Walkoff Balk
    replied
    Re: Friends of the Library of Hawaii Book Sale

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/...-ward-village/

They will be at Ward.

Leave a comment:

• Walkoff Balk
    replied

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...-goes-virtual/

The Friends of the Library of Hawaii Book Sale goes virtual this year.

Leave a comment:

• Walkoff Balk
    replied

http://khon2.com/2015/06/19/avid-rea...e-at-mckinley/

Starts tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• Honoruru
    replied

Bump!

Another year. The 67th Annual Friends of the Library Book Sale begins this Saturday, June 21, and runs through June 29.

I've been going every year since 1971, but I have to admit that lately I've been buying less and less. Last year I didn't buy anything. I wonder how much longer this venerable sale will last, what with books and movies and music now readily available for download or streaming? I still like the atmosphere, though, and I'll be browsing happily. It's just nice to be among friends.

Leave a comment:

• Honoruru
    replied

It's that time again, the 66th Annual Friends of the Library of Hawaiʻi Book Sale. Lots and lots of books, DVDs, and other stuff (I don't think records are included anymore). It begins this Saturday, June 22 (earlier if you're a member).

Leave a comment:

• lensperson
    replied

It would be a pity if all physical books end up looking like the Dead Sea Scrolls.
    Serious students of history use whatever is available after the ravages of time
    eat their way through old libraries.

Leave a comment:

• Walkoff Balk
    replied

Used books are good when you don't have to be delicate by handling it by your fingertips or read it while eating or drinking stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Honoruru
    replied

The 65th Annual Friends of the Library Book Sale begins this Saturday, June 23, from 9 am-9 pm at the McKinley High School cafeteria, and runs through July 1. Over 150,000 books will be up for sale, as well as DVDs, VHS tapes, CDs, records (?), and more!

And don’t forget the food! The Simply Ono food truck will be there, among others.

I love this sale, but I wonder how well it’s doing these days? What with the demise of bricks and mortar bookstores (only Barnes & Noble left, I think), and used bookstores (only Jelly’s and Shirokiya’s Bookoff that I can think of), e-books replacing physical books as the reading medium of choice, and even the notion that people are not reading books anymore, how does all this affect this long-standing island tradition?

Leave a comment:

• shaveice
    replied

i love this annual sale; minor complaint but i just wish it were held in a place with more space; it gets pretty crowded and stuffy....

Leave a comment:

• sophielynette
    replied

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
    Hmmm, you're probably right. When I posted this, I was thinking about past years. I don't usually visit the music area, so I don't really recall seeing records last year. But I remember seeing records on sale there once upon a time.

Last time I went there were records, but I can't remember if it was last year or the year before.

But I am ridiculously excited for this booksale. I plan on going tomorrow to scope it out and again on the last day for the 50 cent books. Yay books!

Leave a comment:

• Honoruru
    replied

Originally posted by mel View Post
    I don't recall seeing any records at last year's booksale. Someone tell me if they actually see records for sale at this year's sale.
    Hmmm, you're probably right. When I posted this, I was thinking about past years. I don't usually visit the music area, so I don't really recall seeing records last year. But I remember seeing records on sale there once upon a time.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X