Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you could, how much would you spend on books?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: If you could, how much would you spend on books?

Originally posted by Linkmeister
    'Course, after manually cataloging some 1,200 books at Library Thing over the past couple of weeks, I might reconsider.
    My first thought when looking at this was 'how frickin' cool' but I wish it would sort your collection by LC or Dewey classification numbers rather than broad subject areas. Too technical I guess? Oh well, I will probably give it a go anyway and wait for version 2.0.

Comment

If you change your view (you've got five choices of view) of your catalog to reflect the LC numbers in one of the columns, it's sortable by that field.
      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

If you change your view (you've got five choices of view) of your catalog to reflect the LC numbers in one of the columns, it's sortable by that field.
        Cool, thanks, I'll try it. I haven't had a chance to play with it too much. Looks like I've got my weekend project lined up...

Comment

For those who haven't looked, today's Christian Science Monitor has a good description of Library Thing.

Comment

Speaking of books, I collect a lot of science books in my small library, and recently my cloth-bound textbooks have started growing mold on their covers! Noooooooooo!!! Anybody know a good (chemical) way to prevent this? (AC and dehumidifiers are not options for me)

Comment

Has anyone sold books to Jellys? I've been in there a few times recently and I've seen people just walk in with shopping bags full, but I've never seen them walk up to the counter and get paid for them. Does Jellys not buy books but live on donated ones?

Comment

Has anyone sold books to Jellys? I've been in there a few times recently and I've seen people just walk in with shopping bags full, but I've never seen them walk up to the counter and get paid for them. Does Jellys not buy books but live on donated ones?
                Jelly's has a book buyer, and he's not always there. Best to ask in advance so you can be sure to catch him. Also, like any used book buyer, he'll only buy books that he's pretty sure he'll be able to sell. It also depends on how much inventory they've got -- there's only so much space on the shelves and in the storage room in back. If they're full up, they're not likely to buy more even if it's good stuff. If you're really organized, bring in a list of your titles first to show to him, so you can avoid unnecessarily lugging your old books around.

Comment

Ah. Thanks, Glen. I really didn't understand why people would walk in with bags, place them on the floor, and walk out. Actually, I still don't understand that, unless they're just dumping them without thinking the books are worth the trouble of selling.

Comment

I would spend $1K on a set of "Great Books of the Western World" by the Encyclopaedia Britannica folk.

I would also own the 1911 edition of their encyclopedias.

I would scoop up any and every copy of Hawaiian-language books (particularly textbooks), usually printed at Lahainaluna or the Hale Pa'i (that used to be near Kawaiahao Church), from the 19th century--provided they were being sold on ebay or some other public venue.

And, I want a nice, old, huge bible. The kind with lots of Michaelangelo-type artwork and genealogy pages in the front. With gold foiled pages.

</dream>
                    Last edited by Pua'i Mana'o; July 9, 2006, 07:35 PM.

pax

Comment

Working...
                    X