Originally posted by timkona
    "The Pirate Dictionary" - got it at DisneyWorld last summer
    I can just guess what is listed in the
    arrr
    section

Comment

Re: stacks of books piled by your bedside

Originally posted by U'ilani
      I've just started "The Intuitionist" by first-time novelist Colson Whitehead.
      Hey U`ilani, is this the one about the elevator repairmen? If it is, let me know what you think; I've been dying to check that out.

Most of my reading lately has been related to work on my master's, including Toni Morrison's The Bluest Eye and Beloved and Frank McCourt's Teacher Man. However, the stuff near my bed is stuff to help me unwind: The Ratvolution Will Not Be Televised by Stephan Pastis (a Pearls Before Swine collection) and the latest issue of Paste magazine.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Plowing through a stack of late-1970's-era fantasy anthologies:
        Swords Against Darkness IV
        The Year's Best Fantasy Stories 3,4,5,9,13,14

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
          I can just guess what is listed in the
          arrr
          section
          And don't forget the letter "aye."

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
            I own a copy of Salt. It was an interesting read, but not necessarily a riveting one. Still, the topic of salt is an understated one in this day and age and that book was a great reminder that wars were fought over the stuff, as well as civilization shaped by its trade.
            Thanks - I wouldn't have picked it myself, but it was lent by a co-worker, to whom I had lent Kurlansky's "1968."

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
              Hey U`ilani, is this the one about the elevator repairmen? If it is, let me know what you think; I've been dying to check that out.

Most of my reading lately has been related to work on my master's, including Toni Morrison's The Bluest Eye and Beloved and Frank McCourt's Teacher Man. However, the stuff near my bed is stuff to help me unwind: The Ratvolution Will Not Be Televised by Stephan Pastis (a Pearls Before Swine collection) and the latest issue of Paste magazine.
              The Intuitionist is about a black female elevator inspector. I just finished it last night. There is so much you could say about it, I don't know where to start. Just trying to categorize this book is difficult--it has aspects of science fiction, fantasy, literary... Hard to explain it. Basically, it is an allegory. There are a lot of layers to the text. I didn't love the book, but I was amazed with the originality and the presentation. I'd give it 3.75 out of 5 stars.

I've got Teacher Man on hold at my library--I'm actually #60 out of something like 300 holds. One of these days it'll finally be mine to read.

I've just started Our Lady of the Forest, which will then be followed by Gentlemen and Players.

I do enjoy reading a lot of Young Adult fiction. Just a few months ago I finally read Enders Game, which I loved. Another one I just can't say enough good things about is Looking for Alibrandi. And the book Twilight was a great read.
              * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
              - Anna Quindlen

Comment

I gave up reading Our Lady of the Forest--some of the subject matter was unappealing. I finished Gentlemen & Players, written by the author of Chocolat. It reminded me of the movie, The Talented Mr. Ripley, but with a twist at the end. I just started A Long Way Down and was loving it, but it was so rife with obscene language I just couldn't take it anymore and had to stop. Tomorrow I'll be starting Battlefield Earth by L. Ron Hubbard. I've heard the movie was dreadful, but my husband loved the book so I thought I'd give it a try.

My goal this year is to read 50 books. I'm on schedule to make it, but December is such a difficult month to have spare time to read, so we shall see.

I'm on the waiting list to receive the following books from my library (the fantastic King County Library System in Washington):

- Hungry Planet: What the World Eats
                - The Tipping Point
                - Marley & Me
                - The Lost Painting
                - The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals
                - Teacher Man
                - Freakonomics
                - Jane Eyre
                - Bleak House
                - Hoot
                - Garlic & Sapphires
                * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
                - Anna Quindlen

Comment

The lakota Way, by Joseph Marshall. I just saw a PBS ( Masterpiece Theater) production called Bleak House. I just wondered if it was the book you refered to. It was set in England in the 18'th century I think.

Comment

Still got 'Tales from the night rainbow' in the stack and dip into it now and then.

Peter F

Comment

I'm reading Battlefield Earth right now and am really enjoying it. Great sci fi stuff. The introduction, though, really put me off. L. Ron Hubbard has this incredibly long discussion about what true science fiction is, and he just comes off as totally self-important as he bashes other books and writers. [Reminded me a bit of Tom Cruise. ]
                      - Anna Quindlen

Comment

B.E. IS a fabulous book put out by a great man, They should make this into a movie, It would do great!

Comment

And just to ensure that it does well at the box office, Terl should be played by someone like John Travolta.
                          - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Originally posted by kine1
                            The lakota Way, by Joseph Marshall. I just saw a PBS ( Masterpiece Theater) production called Bleak House. I just wondered if it was the book you refered to. It was set in England in the 18'th century I think.
                            Yes, I was referring to the Dickens classic.
                            - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                              Which reminds me...you mentioned back in October (in a different thread) that you wanted to remember to re-read "Watership Down" again - here's another reminder.
                              Okay I got it today!

From the back cover...
                              Watership Down is a remarkable tale of exile and survival, of heroism and leadership... the epic novel of a group of adventurers who desert their doomed city, and venture forth against all odds on a quest for a new home, a sturdier future.

OhBoyOhBoyOhBoyOhBoyOhBoy!
                              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I haven't finished Battlefield Earth yet. I was really enjoying it at first--it kind of reminded me of the Planet of the Apes--but it is sooo long and it feels really monotonous at this point.

I'm going to start Garlic and Sapphires by Ruth Reichl and maybe go back to Battlefield later.

If anyone likes sci fi, I recommend The Clone Republic by Kalani-grad Steven Kent:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/044...Fencoding=UTF8
                                - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Working...
                                X