X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Originally posted by Random View Post
    But what would she write?

Would she allow other writers to write about the Harry Potter Universe ... without Harry Potter?
    Well, she was talented enough to create a world. Hopefully she can create another world. or perhaps stay in the world she created and just move on to other characters.

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
      Well, she was talented enough to create a world. Hopefully she can create another world. or perhaps stay in the world she created and just move on to other characters.
      Yeah, but it won't be as good as her Harry Potter works. I think she peaked too soon for a fiction writer. Anything she write afterward is just second-rate.
      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
        Yeah, but it won't be as good as her Harry Potter works. I think she peaked too soon for a fiction writer. Anything she write afterward is just second-rate.
        Ah, well. In that case, she can just luxuriate in the high life and be one of the idle rich

Comment

Found out my absolute favorite character dies in this book. Awesome. Thanks JKR

Hoping I can get this early on Saturday, and if not, I hope I can bribe people to take me to the mall before/after the collector's show at Blaisdell.
          myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

So, who's furiously reading through "Deathly Hallows" this weekend? I know lots of people who are sequestering themselves from TV and the web until they're done, given the fact that there are always jokers dead set on ruining things for everyone.

Did you go to any midnight book sales? I was curious how things went at our local bookseller here in Mililani, but decided I liked sleep better.

Here's the latest title stacked up near the entrance to the Costco in Waipio!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
              So, who's furiously reading through "Deathly Hallows" this weekend?
              AF picked it up when our neighborhood bookstore opened at 8 this morning; she read it in 6.5 hours. I'll probably start on it sometime tomorrow, but expect to read it over the course of several days.

Comment

I'm not planning to buy it, but I thought one "review" of the book on cable news yesterday was kind of interesting: since the movie version of the series is still two books behind, will as many people want to go to see the last two sequels if they already know what happened in this final book?

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I went last night to the Ward Centre Borders. I didn't pick up the book for reasons I've already explained, but enjoyed the vibe and the crowd. One twenty-something cutie was dressed as a golden snitch, which was cool. There were, for obvious reasons, a lot of Cho Changs in the costume contest. The coolest costume I saw (I didn't watch the contest -- I was reading for my thesis on the lanai) was a dementor, at least seven feet tall.

I've resigned myself to the fact that it's going to be spoiled for me before I get to read it, which won't be until mid-August. Ah well.

Originally posted by Miulang
                  since the movie version of the series is still two books behind, will as many people want to go to see the last two sequels if they already know what happened in this final book?
                  Yes. See The Lord of the Rings, Holes, and Bridge to Terabithia for confirmation.
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Okay now I'm just plain pissed because my fave character's death is completely glossed over and not even mentioned and you just find out later "oh and by the way so-and-so is also dead." That freaking annoys me more than anything. Plus there's stuff related to it storywise that really makes me go :'(

Oh. Yeah. Got it at midnight, just finished it about two hours ago after a nice nappy for the eyes. Overall I'm...not really sure what I feel about this. Barring the fave character thing, this was pretty depressing, yet amazingly exciting. However certain parts seemed sloppy and the epilogue was...not very satisfying. I dunno, really mixed feelings on this book. Another reading and another day will probably help me sort my thoughts out.
                    myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

I wasn't going to get it just yet but I happened to see it on sale and picked it up on impulse. So I was bad and read the last couple pages and will go back and start reading it from the beginning when I have time.

Comment

Heh. I, too, grabbed a copy in Costco, just to read the last two pages. Not to ruin it for anyone else, or anything, but just out of curiosity. Curiosity stoked by what is most certainly the biggest singular literary event in recent history.

I only read the first book and part of the second, and think I'll never get through the set. But the phenomenon of Harry Potter has always fascinated me. It's odd to think that, in a sense, it's reached its end. Upcoming films and possible spinoffs notwithstanding.

I'd definitely like to hear from folks who read Deathly Hallows as to whether they liked it or not. Without any plot details or anything, was it worth it? Does the end of the story do justice to the entirety of the series?

Comment

The biggest shock will be when we all find out Darth Vader is Harry's Father too and that the whole series was a dream of Dudley Dursey's after LARGE meal !
                          Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                          Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                            I'd definitely like to hear from folks who read Deathly Hallows as to whether they liked it or not. Without any plot details or anything, was it worth it? Does the end of the story do justice to the entirety of the series?
                            Yes. Particularly some revelations about the motivations of characters we (or I, anyway) thought we knew.
                            http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
                              The biggest shock will be when we all find out Darth Vader is Harry's Father too and that the whole series was a dream of Dudley Dursey's after LARGE meal !
                              HEY!!! NO SPOILERS!!!!

Well I am just a monkey man, I'm glad you are a monkey woman too.

Comment

It's not my favorite of all the HP books, but it does tie up a lot of loose ends and there were several really nice points. There were surprises but not the kind that left me feeling like the surprises didn't fit in to the existing storyline and the things we had discovered about the characters along the way to this point.

Spoilery question
                                What was up with the flayed baby, though? It was so discoradant with the scene that I'm sure it's supposed to symbolize something but I just don't get it right now without feeling like I'm fanwanking. Oh well, I did read it fast. Maybe it will make more sense when I've reread it.

Comment

Working...
                                X