Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

I think the baby was meant to be Voldemort's soul.
    myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

kupomog: Ah, that makes sense

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
        I mean, what is she planning to do afterward? Announce her retirement?
        But what would she write?
        Well, here's one project:
        “J.K. Rowling told TODAY’s Meredith Vieira she will most likely publish a Potter encyclopedia, promising many more details about her beloved characters and the fate of the wizarding world beyond the few clues provided in the seventh book’s epilogue.

While Rowling hasn’t officially started writing the encyclopedia, although she’s got plenty of material from the stories left on the cutting room floor over the past 17 years.

“I’ve said before that Dean Thomas had a much more interesting history than ever appeared in the books for me, and you just see glimpses of it,” Rowling said. “But to write it really would take us into prequel territory. And that does take us into Star Wars territory. And that’s not really a place I’m planning to go.

“So there’s always been bits that I knew about characters that didn’t make final cuts because they weren’t that relevant.” ...

Fans will have to wait a bit longer to get their hands on Rowling’s next Potter work.

“I’m not going to (write the encyclopedia) tomorrow because I’d really like a break,” Rowling said. “So you may be waiting.”
        Source

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
          I'd definitely like to hear from folks who read Deathly Hallows as to whether they liked it or not. Without any plot details or anything, was it worth it? Does the end of the story do justice to the entirety of the series?
          Having been someone who has never read any of the Harry Potter books, I do not think that my opinion will weigh very heavily. However, I have seen all the movies up until now and my girlfriend absolutely loves the series so I will update later with her input once she's done reading. I cheated and looked up online how it ended :P

From my point of view, the way that the series ended was very disappointing. It just seemed to lack a sense of creativity, which made it a very empty and unfulfilling way to finish the story. There was all of this buildup with a lot of background story and mystery... and then the ending was written so simply.
          Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Comment

Originally posted by dyasu View Post
            From my point of view, the way that the series ended was very disappointing. It just seemed to lack a sense of creativity, which made it a very empty and unfulfilling way to finish the story. There was all of this buildup with a lot of background story and mystery... and then the ending was written so simply.
            Harry Potter? Or The Sopranos?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
              Harry Potter? Or The Sopranos?
              Haha! Actually I thought the way the Sopranos ended was hilarious. It could swing two different ways depending on interpretation. I kind of liked it.
              Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Comment

A Non- Spoiler Review:
                A+! Five Stars! JK Rowling has done it again. Not since Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix has a Harry Potter novel been so good. I would hate to be the screenwriter for this one because to leave out anything, would not do the book 7 justice. You'll laugh, you'll cry and yes, dear readers you will get PISSED OFF at JK a lot( I know I did) , but you'll love this book. This is not a book I would recommend to any young reader under 13 years old, only because of the violence and harshness of it and adult themes.
                Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                  Well, here's one project:

Source
                  Maybe she should start with a Hogswart student's handbook.
                  Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

In Europe they have children's and adult editions of the novel. I wonder what the difference is?
                    Attached Files

Flickr

Comment

Maybe she should start with a Hogswart student's handbook.
                      Like a follow-up to these, from 2001.

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
                        In Europe they have children's and adult editions of the novel. I wonder what the difference is?

The only difference is in the cover artwork. As I recall, the adult editions were created so that adults wouldn't have to be embarassed about reading a "kids book" (ie, childish cover) in public (bus, etc). Of course, the name is so widely known, and displayed promininetly on the cover, that it seems pointless now.
                        Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
                        Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Originally posted by sophielynette View Post
                          The only difference is in the cover artwork. As I recall, the adult editions were created so that adults wouldn't have to be embarassed about reading a "kids book" (ie, childish cover) in public (bus, etc). Of course, the name is so widely known, and displayed promininetly on the cover, that it seems pointless now.
                          That's it? Why not just take off the Jacket? Has anyone seen the deluxe edition with color illustrations?

Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by kupomog View Post
                            I think the baby was meant to be Voldemort's soul.
                            Kupomog, I think I'd have to agree with you. (Just finished the book today, so I could finally look at this.)

Comment

JK confirms this in a recent web chat, so woooooo.

Here's the transcript of it, Rowling answered fans' questions: http://mugglenet.com/app/news/full_story/1156

For that particular spoilered part, search and find "King's Cross."

And finally I get some closure on the death of
                              Tonks (Lupin, as well),
                              my favorite character of the whole series who got such a weaksauce death

And for anyone who hasn't really been checking sites for news, check out MuggleNet's front page for many MSNBC links from an interview conducted with JK. You will find out a lot of stuff, such as what character got a reprieve from dying, and which two characters were instead killed off. You'll also learn professions of a few of the characters 19 years later, and just a lot of juicy in-depth stuff.

As for my thoughts:

After a week of letting the book sink in, I feel that in some ways I like it much more than HBP. MUCH more. It took me about a year to really enjoy HBP, DH is already enjoyable to me save for some rushed moments, mostly the aftermath of the battle, and really lame romance stuff that didn't move me in anyway between the kids ("and Ginny was kissing him, and Harry was kissing her back, and it was bliss!!!" ). Badly written and out of nowhere romance played a large part of what killed HBP for me, that and being overall...boring. Now I've got more things to appreciate about it, though.

DH is quite crazy from the get-go with the kids on the run (soooo tense and great) and the awesome build up to the battle at Hogwarts. I really love that side to the book. During that entire battle, I just wanted to pick up a wand and join them in the fight. And with all the death, oh man so depressing

The other great part is tying in all the stuff I had nearly forgotten about from earlier books, as well as clearing up certain foreshadowing in earlier books (like Petunia knowing about dementors, and then talking about Lily and that "awful boy," and Harry wondered why she didn't use his dad's name...'cause it wasn't actually his dad).

Some aspects feel rushed like the aftermath of the battle, some are just plain convoluted like the parseltongue thing, some opportunities for epic grudgematch duels were completely overlooked, the death of the characters I mentioned earlier was so obviously an afterthought that it really bugged me, the epilogue read like something I would see from 14,000 authors on FanFiction.net. And I don't know what it is, but good god does the Harry/Ginny romance not move me in the slightest bit, even at the end of this book.

JK also didn't seem to answer a few questions she said would be, but most of those just got answered outside of the book in interviews, anyway.

That said, "The Prince's Tale" is pretty much the best chapter written in any Harry Potter book ever.

DH is a good book with some flaws, but overall it was quite worth the read.

It doesn't beat out OotP for my favorite, though.
                              myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

The latest issue of EW magazine is wild about Harry and may give you some answers about DH. Here's the Link

Flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X