Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Just finished. First thing I did was login here to read this thread, which I've been ignoring for the past two weeks!

As everyone else has posted, it's dark, dark, dark compared to the earlier books. Probably more wizard violence and blood spilled in this volume than in all the previous six combined. I liked how the tone "matures" as Harry and friends do. After all, they're (young) adults now. The climactic battle scene kind of reminded me of Star Wars: Attack of the Clones where our heroes actually go to war.

"Spoiler-iotum"!!

Random spoiler-y thoughts:

As soon as it was revealed that Lupin and Tonks had died, I thought it was a guarantee that Harry would live. As their newborn child's godfather, I thought this twist would set up a new sequel series where Harry would be a supporting character, like Sirius, to his godson and new generation of Gryffindors. Guess the epilogue kinda ruled my guess out, but if Rowling decides she needs another billion or so in the bank you know she could write that series about Harry, Ginny, Ron and Hermione's kids.

I don't know if disappointed is the right word, but I thought that not keeping her promise that at least one or two of the three main characters would die was kind of a letdown. Not that I wanted to see it, but if that was really her vision as she'd stated over the years, kind of seems a concession to keeping the fans happy that all of them survived.

Clever how Dumbledore remained a main character in this book even after he "died". And I had a very strong feeling that Snape would be redeemed somehow, but didn't see Dumbledore's complicity in his own death coming. Somewhat disappointed that we didn't see the Malfoys get what had been coming to them, but I guess she was being careful of too much violence against "kids".

Very disappointed that Rita Skeeter didn't meet an ugly end; perhaps the most annoying character in the series. And memory fails me right now but did Umbridge just disappear from the story after the sequence at the Ministry of Magic?

Overall, an enjoyable read and satisfying end to the series. As with anything with as many fans as it has, it can't be the be-all, end-all to everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by NoCal Boy View Post
      And memory fails me right now but did Umbridge just disappear from the story after the sequence at the Ministry of Magic?
      Yeah she pretty much did...was a bit disappointed at that. Although if you'd like to know her fate after the book, JK reveals it in the web chat.
      myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

Wow! I was just in our library. There was a small shelf of books for sale. I bought the Deathly Hallows hard cover in good condition for $1. I am not really a big Potter fan--but I couldn't pass it up.

Comment

amazingly, i haven't kept up with the series after reading only the first installment.

rowling revealed recently that dumbledore is gay.

One fan asked whether Albus Dumbledore, the head of the famed Hogwarts School of Wizardry and Witchcraft, had ever loved anyone. Rowling smiled. "Dumbledore is gay, actually," replied Rowling as the audience erupted in surprise. She added that, in her mind, Dumbledore had an unrequited love affair with Gellert Grindelwald, Voldemort's predecessor who appears in the seventh book. After several minutes of prolonged shouting and clapping from astonished fans, Rowling added. "I would have told you earlier if I knew it would make you so happy."
          bill orally, upon hearing of this, talks about the gay agenda and indoctrination of children.
          superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Whaaaat???

Comment

Working...
            X