Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "desperate housewives" slur against filipinos

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
    DUH--one glaringly obvious answer is liability. as an MD, you gotta cover yourself & premiums are high. as a nurse, you're covered by the organization you work for and that organization, as long as you acted w/in scope of practice/job description. respondeat superior.
    That is the dumbest answer I have heard. An MDs pay could cover any additional liability insurance premium easily.

So are you calling all the Chinese, Jewish, Indian etc. foreign trained M.Ds foolish for actualy becoming an M.D. in the U.S.A.? Sounds like you are.

I don't think so stinky okole you.

Comment

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." -- Laurence J. Peter

Rising Insurance Rates Put City Doctors Out of Business
      Dr. Scott Berlin has delivered close to 2,000 babies since 1994, but an increase in malpractice insurance rates announced this week prompted a decision to close up shop.
      The Long Island obstetrician will owe $190,000 in liability costs after the state's Department of Insurance announced a 14% insurance rate hike ... the New York Chapter of the American College of Physicians issued a statement warning that the rate increase could bring about a primary care physician shortage.
      Here's a pretty graph [page 7]for the O'Reilly types who are too lazy to read more than a few words or lift an opposable thumb in the name of attribution.

Hawai'i losing its doctors
      Rising medical malpractice insurance premiums and fears of lawsuits are taking their toll on the quality of healthcare in Hawai'i, particularly in orthopedics and obstetrics, where high costs are driving some doctors to quit.
      The weather must be wonderful in that state of Ignorance. No torrential rain or flash floods, I bet.

As for the thread topic, I'm actually glad the backlash against ABC is excessive. Network programming is, for the most part, WASP-centric, oafish and distilled down to appeal to the lowest common denominator. When it comes to TV portrayals of blacks, Chinese, Japanese, Mexicans, et al., each minority suffers being the awkard new kid in school. But when you are assaulted by the school bully, kicking his ass will earn you the respect and esteem so necessary on the playground that is national TV.

I'm sure it will be a long time before another TV show cracks a flippant Filipino "funny." Perhaps by that time script writers will have learned enough about Filipinos to craft some truly funny ethnic humor instead of the throwback Uncle Tom(as)-style jabs that only indicates and entrenches one's ignorance.
      "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea View Post

So are you calling all the Chinese, Jewish, Indian etc. foreign trained M.Ds foolish for actualy becoming an M.D. in the U.S.A.? Sounds like you are.
        if what i've said sounds like that to you, then the toilet paper i've had you lick is now clogging your ears. then again, no one would ever accuse you of having good comprehension.
        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

in contrast to physician liability insurance costs, according to a 2003 issue of nursing magazine:

For many nurses, the cost is less than $100 per year.
          this site quotes about $60 a year for $1M/$5M coverage, and that's for nurses with 3 years + experience.
          superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post

As for the thread topic, I'm actually glad the backlash against ABC is excessive. Network programming is, for the most part, WASP-centric, oafish and distilled down to appeal to the lowest common denominator. When it comes to TV portrayals of blacks, Chinese, Japanese, Mexicans, et al., each minority suffers being the awkard new kid in school. But when you are assaulted by the school bully, kicking his ass will earn you the respect and esteem so necessary on the playground that is national TV.

I'm sure it will be a long time before another TV show cracks a flippant Filipino "funny." Perhaps by that time script writers will have learned enough about Filipinos to craft some truly funny ethnic humor instead of the throwback Uncle Tom(as)-style jabs that only indicates and entrenches one's ignorance.
            C'mon. Are you REALLY this upset about this ?

How do you know the writer of the episode wasn't Filipino him/herself ?

Besides, what would deem any ethnic joke "truly funny" in your eyes, if you are so convinced that Hollywood is a bunch of WASPS writing Uncle Tom-esque jokes about the "minorities" ?
            Puulleeze....Anyone who knows anything about Hollywood knows the Jews run Hollywood.

Actually, the film and tv business is pretty diverse as far as the working people go. But like I said earlier, this incident was no pot shot at the PEOPLE of the Phillipines. It was at the infrastructure/educational practices and standards. There was no reference to race, skin color, cultural customs ar anything else pertaining to the people.

Once again...lighten up.
            http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
            Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
            Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

for the O'Reillytypes who are too lazy to read more than a few words or lift an opposable thumb in the name of attribution.
              Bully,

No wonder you one Mortgage Borker(sp?). You can use numbers and make 2 + 2 = 1.

Let me go slow for you and your honeygurl. Yes, malpractice insurance is more expensive for M.Ds than Nurses. So what? That's one of the many reasons M.Ds are paid more. The only thing that should matter to a Filipino trained M.D. is what they will have in their pocket after expenses? Again, wouldn't an M.D. be able to pay the insurance and yet still have more money? Isn't that what the Isreal, China, Japan or whereever trained MDs do.

You have still failed to answer the question. Amazing how you Mortgage Brokers can use numbers to try to support anything just to close the deal.

Keep on keepin on Mortgage guy. Hows business? No worry, Timkona said home prices will keep increasing by 10% until 2016.

Salamat Po

Comment

I've heard much more offensive Filipino humor right here in beautiful Hawaii Nei from the mouths of Frank Delima, Andy Bumatai etc etc. They attack accents, culture, people (Imelda), food. They go right to the core of insulting what it means to be Filipino.

This was mearly a comment made based upon the assumption (accurate or not) that the education received in the country of the Philippines is not equal to the education received in the USA. Obviously most people in the Philippine medical schools are Filipino but the comment really didn't attack them personally.

If you want to bring down insulting Filipino humor, you will need to start right here in Hawaii folks. WHy the pass for Frank Delima?

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
                  if what i've said sounds like that to you, then the toilet paper i've had you lick is now clogging your ears. then again, no one would ever accuse you of having good comprehension.
                  I have and have had many Filipino friends over the years. You know who I've learned is most vicious in their attacks against all things Filipino? Yes you do. Its Filipinos. You know what I mean because I bet you do it in private. I have been on the other side of the arguement many times try to convince them that they play second fiddle to no one and have much to be very proud of in their culture and people.

Comment

Wow! This thread get some heavy action!

K-den. I'm a Book Book!

Salamat po,

Auntie Lynn
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                      Wow! This thread get some heavy action!

Auntie Lynn

Hooooe Auntie, plenny action is right. You can call me a prude or sheltered or inexperienced but this is the first time I've been propositioned by a woman to perform anilingus. Used to be only Sole chicks would use that line when dey was trying foah beef one Haole or one Japanee.

Try wait, I gotta go cool off.

Suckin hotblooded eh, no?

Comment

Hooooe Auntie, plenny action is right. You can call me a prude or sheltered or inexperienced but this is the first time I've been propositioned by a woman to perform anilingus. Used to be only Sole chicks would use that line when day was trying foah beef one Haole or one Japanee.

Try wait, I gotta go cool off.

Suckin hotblooded eh, no?
                        heheheh

No make me laugh. I concentrating foa the State Capital this morning. Bumby, I going be giving my testimony den I going tink of this thread. Hala! I going bust out laughing! Foa shua dey going tink I'm Pupule!

Keep cool everybody and have a nice day!

Auntie Lynn
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                          C'mon. Are you REALLY this upset about this ?

How do you know the writer of the episode wasn't Filipino him/herself ?

Besides, what would deem any ethnic joke "truly funny" in your eyes, if you are so convinced that Hollywood is a bunch of WASPS writing Uncle Tom-esque jokes about the "minorities" ?
                          Puulleeze....Anyone who knows anything about Hollywood knows the Jews run Hollywood.

Actually, the film and tv business is pretty diverse as far as the working people go. But like I said earlier, this incident was no pot shot at the PEOPLE of the Phillipines. It was at the infrastructure/educational practices and standards. There was no reference to race, skin color, cultural customs ar anything else pertaining to the people.

Once again...lighten up.
                          I've heard much more offensive Filipino humor right here in beautiful Hawaii Nei from the mouths of Frank Delima, Andy Bumatai etc etc. They attack accents, culture, people (Imelda), food. They go right to the core of insulting what it means to be Filipino.

This was mearly a comment made based upon the assumption (accurate or not) that the education received in the country of the Philippines is not equal to the education received in the USA. Obviously most people in the Philippine medical schools are Filipino but the comment really didn't attack them personally.

If you want to bring down insulting Filipino humor, you will need to start right here in Hawaii folks. WHy the pass for Frank Delima?
                          Actually, I'm not upset at all. I just get passionate when it comes to dispersing truths.

A Filipino script writer would have written a humorous jab based in fact, not conjecture. That my friends is the objective difference between funny and insulting ethnic humor. I'm sure Paul, Rex, Frank and Andy would back me up on that. Of course anyone who thinks the aforementioned comedians crack jokes that are insulting to Filipinos is also probably too obtuse to comprehend the difference between "-gah" and "-ger" suffixes when it comes to the n-word.

If you re-read my post you'll see that I said "network programming is, for the most part, WASP-centric ..." I never mentioned who pulls the strings. I just assumed everyone already knew. Diversity might apply to production and writing personnel, but when it comes to what's shown on network TV -- not so much (the CW notwithstanding).

As for potshots and assumptions, you reap what you sow. If the line had truly been funny then we wouldn't be having this discussion right now.

Bully,

No wonder you one Mortgage Borker(sp?). You can use numbers and make 2 + 2 = 1.

Let me go slow for you and your honeygurl. Yes, malpractice insurance is more expensive for M.Ds than Nurses. So what? That's one of the many reasons M.Ds are paid more. The only thing that should matter to a Filipino trained M.D. is what they will have in their pocket after expenses? Again, wouldn't an M.D. be able to pay the insurance and yet still have more money? Isn't that what the Isreal, China, Japan or whereever trained MDs do.

You have still failed to answer the question. Amazing how you Mortgage Brokers can use numbers to try to support anything just to close the deal.

Keep on keepin on Mortgage guy. Hows business? No worry, Timkona said home prices will keep increasing by 10% until 2016.

Salamat Po
                          Awww, how cute. Falling back on your played out practice of petty name-calling again? Let me go extremely slow since you have a hard time following facts and figures.

I don't have to answer the question since Mike already did it for me. I simply presented some reading material for you so you could stop embarassing yourself and Hawaii's public school system. So much for trying to be helpful.

Here's another tip for you: Try Googling (since you're so fond of telling us to) "exchange rate" dollar peso, "medical school cost," "average physician income" Hawaii, "average nurse income" Hawaii, "malpractice insurance premium," "cost of running a medical practice" and actually read through the search results. It might help with your reading comprehension problem.

If you still have mental constipation after all that, here's the short answer for you: No. The average Nurse Practitioner in Hawaii earns more than the average General Practitioner in Hawaii, after expenses.

Business is good, btw. Thank you for asking. How's business for you?
                          "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

[SIZE=2]
                            A Filipino script writer would have written a humorous jab based in fact, not conjecture. That my friends is the objective difference between funny and insulting ethnic humor. I'm sure Paul, Rex, Frank and Andy would back me up on that. Of course anyone who thinks the aforementioned comedians crack jokes that are insulting to Filipinos is also probably too obtuse to comprehend the difference between "-gah" and "-ger" suffixes when it comes to the n-word.

As for potshots and assumptions, you reap what you sow. If the line had truly been funny then we wouldn't be having this discussion right now.

The average Nurse Practitioner in Hawaii earns more than the average General Practitioner in Hawaii, after expenses.

Well, I know you'd disagree, but I can just hear Andy, Frank, etc. saying, "Eh, where you wen medical school... in da Philippines?" And yes, I would laugh. It's just a joke.

As for nurses earning more than the average doctor... My coworker used to brag that his nurse wife made over $60,000 a year. Which I didn't think was much, since she worked double shift. Meanwhile, her physician bosses live in 5 million dollar homes and own cars that cost more than their house.

Comment

Originally posted by nikki View Post
                              Well, I know you'd disagree, but I can just hear Andy, Frank, etc. saying, "Eh, where you wen medical school... in da Philippines?" And yes, I would laugh. It's just a joke.

As for nurses earning more than the average doctor... My coworker used to brag that his nurse wife made over $60,000 a year. Which I didn't think was much, since she worked double shift. Meanwhile, her physician bosses live in 5 million dollar homes and own cars that cost more than their house.
                              true story: back in i forget when the 1990's Frank Delima did a show for the Young Laundry staff and all of them walked out...why? because they didn't find his ethnic jokes funny.

Comment

Originally posted by CranBeree View Post
                                true story: back in i forget when the 1990's Frank Delima did a show for the Young Laundry staff and all of them walked out...why? because they didn't find his ethnic jokes funny.
                                Oh yeah, you just reminded me. A coworker went to see Frank Delima last year. She said she was so disappointed because he didn't do any ethnic jokes. The main reason she wanted to see him was to hear him make fun of her race, her age, her job, her gender. I think it's sad that we can't laugh at ourselves.

Comment

Working...
                                X