Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alohabear
    replied
    Re: what do you think of deal or no deal?

Do you think the million will ever be won? I don't see it happening

Leave a comment:

• zztype
    replied

I like it. I don't expect much from it. It's just entertainment.

It's not skill, other than the skill of controlling your greed.

It doesn't surprise me that they've gone up to twelve $1 mil. cases. I'm sure they've calculated the odds and are vetting participants carefully.

The odds are increasingly in the player's favor, but players consistently make tactical mistakes, thinking their odds are better than they really are. Consistently, players go home with token amounts, leaving the $1 mil. unclaimed.

Leave a comment:

• craigwatanabe
    replied

some people look good bald...Howie doesn't. No Deal

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

Hm. A Google search of "deal or no deal" with "expected value" returns quite a bit of material, so clearly I'm not the first, smartest, or most eloquent person to see the challenge of this game from this standpoint. Here's one explanation that I found particularly well-done.

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

I have yet to see the show, because something about all the ridiculous fanfare with the pretty ladies really turns me off (I love pretty ladies, but what do they have to do with the game?). The show seems to me to be an exercise in expected value, and I'm wondering if any of the contestants has played the game while trying to calculate the actual mathematical expected value. Given as much time as one would need to do the calculations, would someone considering the expected value do better than someone not? It's an exercise I'm eager to try with my students someday, but I don't have the time right now.

From a purely entertainment viewpoint, it looks lame. When I was at the Jeopardy! auditions two years ago, Alex Trebek actually made a disdainful reference to Deal or No Deal. It was kinda funny.

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Deal or No Deal on NBC

Deal or No Deal on NBC

hi this is sansei and what may your thought's be on deal or no deal,isnt howie lol!

Well thank's for your time:O)
Working...
X