The Andromeda Strain on A&E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Andromeda Strain on A&E

The A&E Network will be airing Part 1 of The Andromeda Strain starting at 6:00 pm on Monday May 26. Part 2 airs on Tuesday May 27 at 6:00 pm.

I suspect it will be repeat broadcast on the following times:
    Part 1 - Monday 8:00 pm
    Part 1 - Monday 10:00 pm
    Part 1 - Monday midnight
    Part 1 - Tuesday 4:00 pm
    Part 2 - Tuesday 8:00 pm
    Part 2 - Tuesday 10:00 pm
    Part 2 - Tuesday midnight

All times are HST. This is a new version of the movie that was flimed back in 1971. Don't know if this movie takes place in the 1970's or today's times.

Re: The Andromeda Strain on A&E

I remember watching the 1971 version on a flight from LA to Honolulu. We were experiencing extreme turbulence. Very scary. Everyone was glued to their seat, staring at the screen. That made watching the movie that much more suspenseful. To this day, it is one of my favorite sci-fi movies.

Comment

The novel was serialized in the newspaper when I was a kid, and I was captivated. I liked the movie as well, and am looking forward to seeing this adaptation.

Comment

I got the repeat schedule from the Advertiser Sunday TV Guide which is different from what Oceanic digital cable guide is saying.

In any event this version takes place in today's time instead of the 1970's. The Wildfire team has 5 members instead of 4 (and also includes Lost's Daniel Dae Kim as one of the 5 team members).

Comment

I caught wind of the inside look preview of the 2008 version of Adromeda Strain thru the movie theater I was at. I was fortunate to have seen the original on AMC (I think) cause I had to youtube the trailer to ask myself did I see this or not? Well I definately remembered Kate Reid who's character she plays is actually a male character in the book. Have not read the book personally but the 1971 version was good and the updated version seen on A&E I thought was good too also. Interesting to note that they kept the city name but changed state location... Part 1 definately gets intense and leaves you at a cliffhanger so I will be tuning in for pt2.

Comment

read the reviews on imbd (i think) and they weren't very promising so i decided to pass but i'm interested in hearing what you guys think of it. if you guys really like it, i'll catch it when it reruns. the original, btw, was pretty good!
            525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

This version seems to have some sub-plots and characters not found in the novel. One is the news reporter played by Eric McCormack, it seems that there is some history between him and Doctor Stone played by Benjamin Bratt.

Trying to figure out the sub-plot about the dog, the buzzard, the rabbit, the snake, the rat and the eagle.

Comment

Like how mosquitoes are vectors for yellow fever and other diseases, the animals involved in this story are used to illustrate how difficult it is to contain an outbreak like Andromeda in the wild. The movie Just shows people how easy something devastating like this can spread. If you like the Andromeda Strain, you'll like "The Hot Zone" by Richard Preston. It is based on an ebola outbreak at a research lab in Reston, VA sometime during the 1980.

Comment

Unless there is another disease that came with Andromeda. That rat that was dropped by the eagle, it's blood wasn't powdery but still liquid and still caused those soliders to either die or go mad.

Comment

Fleas and ticks hold some blood internally from previous hosts like mosquitoes, maybe they jumped off the dead rat? Or the rat was infected (but the strain doesn't affect animals) and it was still in the process of dying when dropped so the strain wasn't neutralized like it would have been with a fully dead host.

Comment

Andromeda kills humans, monkeys and rats and while in this current version it has been shown that it is airbrone but the dead bodies themselves don't spread Andromeda. Then again the science team didn't test if something eats a body killed by Andromeda.

Comment

In the original, the diseases mutates and adapts. Including eating rubber and plastic.
                        Burl Burlingame
                        "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

It also does that too in this version. The ending of Monday night's episode had a F-16 about to drop an atomic warhead on the town of Piedmont, Utah. The Wildfire team finds out that Andromeda thrives in radiation and manages to warn everyone involved to cancel the air strike.

While the abort order is received and the pilot puts the weapon from active to standby the F-16 starts to fail and the pilot's cockpit and gear start to fall apart. The jet starts to roll, the weapon goes active again and during the roll dislogges itself from the rolling F-16 and the episode ends.

Comment

Yeh I saw that. Still don't know how radiation is nutritious.

It was difficult figuring out from the Oceanic guide when what airs. Seems tonight they're running both episodes back to back as the time is 240 min.
                            Burl Burlingame
                            "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                            honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                              Still don't know how radiation is nutritious.
                              You don't recall the classic Jules Feiffer comic-tale about pollution, with the marketing slogan "Big Black Specks are Good For You"?

Comment

Working...
                              X