• Vanguard
    replied
    Re: American Idol: Season 8

The guy with the lion puppet was funny!

Leave a comment:

• tutusue
    replied

I'm such a Randy Jackson fan and have, on occasion, wondered what a relationship between Randy and Queen Latifa would be like!!! She's great, too. I mean, both are the epitome of cool! Would it be a who-can-out-cool-who competition, do ya think?!

Anyway, after tonight's competition I'm pulling for 17 year old Rose who was orphaned by the age of 15. She tugged at my heartstrings. I also like the gal, can't remember her name, who had a Duffy quality about her.

I'll get more into the show, meaning undivided attention, once it's narrowed down to the top 10.

Leave a comment:

• alohabear
    replied

Jackson rocking the DAWG!!

Leave a comment:

• LikaNui
    replied

Watching AI at the moment, and there was a mention that Randy Jackson used to be in Journey. I knew he was a producer but the Journey thing surprised me, so I did a little look-see and found:

While in the Bay Area, Jackson played in bands with Carlos Santana and Jerry Garcia. From 1986 to 1987 he was a member of the rock group Journey. Jackson joined Journey for their 1986 album Raised on Radio and subsequent tour. He moved to Italy in the late 1980s and played on a record by Italian pop star Zucchero. The record, Zucchero and the Randy Jackson Band, was produced by Corrado Rustici who played guitar with Randy on many albums in the early 80's and who became Zucchero's producer for 15 years creating Zucchero's biggest albums of his career.
    In 1985, Keith Richards was asked to provide music for the Whoopi Goldberg comedy vehicle, "Jumpin' Jack Flash". Richards assembled an all-star band which included Aretha Franklin on piano and lead vocals and Randy Jackson on bass guitar. This song was the fourth track on Aretha's 1986 album titled "Aretha". Randy can be seen in the song's video.
    Jackson was the bass guitarist on the 1991 self-titled Divinyls album (which features the song "I Touch Myself") as well as featured bassist on several tracks of Tracy Chapman's 1992 release, Matters of the Heart. He performed on the singles "Bang Bang Bang", "Open Arms", and "Dreaming on a World". That same year, Jackson also played bass on Bruce Springsteen's hit "Human Touch".
    Jackson has recorded, produced, or toured with many well-known artists and bands, ranging from Mariah Carey (he has been her musical director for a number of her tours; he was in her band at Live 8 in London in 2005) to *NSYNC, Whitney Houston, (produced) Dionne Farris'(critically acclaimed debut CD, Wild-Seed Wild-Flower), Céline Dion, Fergie (dating back to her days in Wild Orchid), Stryper, Whitesnake (he took over when former bassist broke his arm for a couple shows in the late 80s), and Madonna (he played some bass on her album "Like a Prayer" although not on the single of the same name).
    Jackson played numerous times in Jean-Luc Ponty's backing band. His credits as a session musician range from playing with Aretha Franklin, Roger Waters, Bruce Springsteen, Journey, George Michael, Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown, Billy Cobham, Blue Öyster Cult, Herbie Hancock, Richard Marx, Billy Joel, Bon Jovi, Michael Bolton, and Bob Dylan to playing at the Grand Ole Opry with The Charlie Daniels Band. His production/songwriting work in the San Francisco Bay Area with Narada Michael Walden and Walter Afanasieff led Jackson to be in demand as a producer as well.
    He has also worked as an executive, spending eight years as vice president of artists and repertoire (A&R) at Columbia Records and four years heading A&R at MCA Records.

That's one heckuva resume.

Leave a comment:

• Lei Liko
    replied

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
    Last night had auditions from San Francisco. The last one was a guy named Kai Kalama, from San Clemente. Touching story about he and his mom. He made it through to the next level.
    Bruddah looked local and his name is obviously local. Anybody know any backstory on him?
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...iendID=1946227 (MySpace page of his former band). That's all I could find for now.

Leave a comment:

• LikaNui
    replied

Last night had auditions from San Francisco. The last one was a guy named Kai Kalama, from San Clemente. Touching story about he and his mom. He made it through to the next level.
    Bruddah looked local and his name is obviously local. Anybody know any backstory on him?

Leave a comment:

• Walkoff Balk
    replied

Did Seacrest Out do some fast thinking after he did a faux pau by trying to "high five" a blind contestant?

Leave a comment:

• Walkoff Balk
    replied
    Re: American Idol-Season 8

Did this show have a topper like the SNL character for the Bikini girl? The topper could be a totally nude contestant?

Leave a comment:

• LikaNui
    replied

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
    Missed the last half-hour of "SNL" though, due to blackout. Interestingly, the show was black, but local commercials weren't.
    Oh no. I DVR'd SNL too, as I wanted to see how Taylor Swift would do. Haven't had a chance to watch it yet.
    As for AI, that last girl named Lil Round was awesome!

Leave a comment:

• buzz1941
    replied

I DVR'd the first night off the HD channel, it was all there.

Missed the last half-hour of "SNL" though, due to blackout. Interestingly, the show was black, but local commercials weren't. This happens pretty often.

Leave a comment:

• LikaNui
    replied

Yep, Danny for sure, and also the Indian guy Anoop.
    Still another half hour to go... complete with video this time, too!

Leave a comment:

• tutusue
    replied

Love Danny, a 28 year old, very recent widower. Great voice.

Leave a comment:

• LikaNui
    replied

Joe Moore just did a newsbreak, and mentioned the blackout and the replay. He played it straight, and only said the engineers still didn't know what caused it. It was almost like the powers-that-be told him to SDFU.
    Back to the show. Opinions, anyone?
    I thought the best was the oil rig guy, and I can see him possibly making the final 10. Maybe JB too. The blind guy was quite good, but I don't see him as able to do a variety of styles. Horror-movie kid was good too. And Barracuda Girl could go a long way.
    But what do I know? I publicly picked Carrie Underwood to win it all when she did her first audition.
    The Bikini Girl segment was... interesting.
    Kara DioGuardi did better than I expected as the new judge.
    Last edited by LikaNui; January 13, 2009, 08:31 PM. Reason: Added Barracuda Girl.

Leave a comment:

• LikaNui
    replied

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    What will Joe Moore say about this dreaded glitch award on the 10 o'clock news?
    I was wondering the same thing! Tell us what he does, k? I hope to be asleep by then. (I usually get up around 4:30 or 5.)
    And the show had a crawl a few minutes ago saying that KHON was going to re-air the first 30 minutes immediately after this ends.

Leave a comment:

• Walkoff Balk
    replied

What will Joe Moore say about this dreaded glitch award on the 10 o'clock news?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X