• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kimo55
    replied
    Re: Horrible commercial

Originally posted by hitech redneck
    The worst commercial has to be the Oceanic Keiki Club commercial. It is the same worn out commercial that airs day in and day out randomly on oceanic channels. I hope that the parents of that commercial had the contract based on # of times aired.

yea. would like to see the script on that throwaway piece of...

"What's so keeseecod?

"I'm veshmutchafuuush.."

"Mommymommymoommy!"

Leave a comment:

• helen
    replied

Originally posted by Keith H.
    I'm surprised no one brought up "93/7" here...
    As a seperate thread in another forum yeah, was around last summer when they first started to appear on various media (newspapers and TV). For me I didn't think it was horrible, more mysterious. I thought it was the start of another local radio station.

In any event I think I have seen about one 93|7 ad in the last couple of months or so.

Leave a comment:

• Keith H.
    replied

Originally posted by pzarquon
    Are we judging companies or their ads? Both, I guess.

I like Kaiser, having been an HMSA guy most of my life. And those "Live Long and Thrive" ads? I've seen much worse. I like the voice (Allison Janey?), the simple music, and the soliloquy is clever enough without being smirky. The one that ends with the beaming pediatrician? Love it.
    Of course, the ironic thing is, the first time I saw that commercial was while I was working out...in HMSA's employee fitness center.

But in my opinion (and before I say another word, the standard disclaimer applies...I speak for myself, not my company), I'm surprised no one brought up "93/7" here...

Leave a comment:

• hitech redneck
    replied

The worst commercial has to be the Oceanic Keiki Club commercial. It is the same worn out commercial that airs day in and day out randomly on oceanic channels. I hope that the parents of that commercial had the contract based on # of times aired.

Leave a comment:

• pzarquon
    replied

Are we judging companies or their ads? Both, I guess.

I like Kaiser, having been an HMSA guy most of my life. And those "Live Long and Thrive" ads? I've seen much worse. I like the voice (Allison Janey?), the simple music, and the soliloquy is clever enough without being smirky. The one that ends with the beaming pediatrician? Love it.

I forgot one ad that really chaps my hide. It's for L.A. Weight Loss Centers. Like all weight loss ads, it features a spokeswoman who's actually a paid spokesperson rather than a customer, supposedly reading "real" customer testimonials. But what crosses the line is the "Before and After" photos they show. While any weight loss program could probably work a little to find a customer who'd make a good visual like that, the L.A. Weight Loss Centers ads fake it! There's fine print when the "Before and After" shots come up that say, "Photo digitally manipulated to simulate excessive weight" or something like that.

Sure, the twist is that they're faking the "Before" (stretching it out) rather than the "After" but it's pretty dishonest.
    Last edited by pzarquon; April 11, 2005, 07:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 1stwahine
    replied

We are Kaiser Permanente. Live and thrive! yeah right!

On another thread, the question was HMSA or Kaiser Permanente. I was a strong supporter. I've been a member many years and had nothing gone wrong. Today, I'm suffering and it may be permanent.

Horrible commercial? Anything that mentions or is about Kaiser Permanente! Auwe or in my case Owweeeee!

Leave a comment:

• Glen Miyashiro
    replied

Originally posted by kimo55
    no, never saw that one yet. but vive la integracion, eh!?
    Kimo, yes you have. That's the same commercial we've been laughing over in the "The Breasts They Grow On Trees" thread. And I know you've watched that one.

Leave a comment:

• kimo55
    replied

Originally posted by DaveNSoKona
    Where the tall guy makes the short guy act like a fool to "reel in" his BK fish I think that is degrading and makes me mad every time I see it.

yea. that, as mentioned before, is a new trend taken up by all ad agencies; emulating the insulting prank, girls behaving badly, ridicule everything trend in tv shows and entertainment in general.
    too bad.

Did any one notice that the BK commercial with the black guy in a cowboy hat singing, all the guys are black and most of the girls are white? I'm not racist, but it seemed like a strange demographic to me.
    no, never saw that one yet. but vive la integracion, eh!?

Leave a comment:

• DaveNSoKona
    replied

another horrible commercial:
    Burger King

Where the tall guy makes the short guy act like a fool to "reel in" his BK fish.
    I think that is degrading and makes me mad every time I see it.

Did any one notice that the BK commercial with the black guy in a cowboy hat singing, all the guys are black and most of the girls are white? I'm not racist, but it seemed like a strange demographic to me.

Leave a comment:

• kimo55
    replied

Originally posted by BKHale2007
    The commercial I really don't like is the Road Runner technician spot. He's boring his date with his virtuous proclamations of loving to shop for women's shoes, volunteering at the hospital, etc. Then he reveals he's a Road Runner technician. She pretends to be suddenly amorous, just to get him to fix her computer. Then, when he says he's finished: Thanks, can you see your way out? What a user.

and he's an, uuhh. "enabler"
    wet noodle.
    wuss.
    whipped.
    guhlee mahn. as ahnowd would say.
    we decimated this commercial a lil while back, too.

(http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=543
    half way.)
    Last edited by kimo55; April 11, 2005, 09:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• BKHale2007
    replied

The commercial I really don't like is the Road Runner technician spot. He's boring his date with his virtuous proclamations of loving to shop for women's shoes, volunteering at the hospital, etc. Then he reveals he's a Road Runner technician. She pretends to be suddenly amorous, just to get him to fix her computer. Then, when he says he's finished: Thanks, can you see your way out? What a user.

Leave a comment:

• Keith H.
    replied

OK, here's one that gives me that fingernails-on-a-chalkboard feeling. Those commercials for Enzyte:

Narrator (in Don Pardo-ish voice): "This is Bob!"
    Camera on a guy who is wide-eyed, smiling idiotically, dressed in garb that looks like it came out of the 1950s. Subject matter usually implies that after taking Enzyte, his golf swing improves and so does his performance in bed.

etc...etc...
    Last edited by Keith H.; April 9, 2005, 10:14 PM. Reason: fix url tag...oops

Leave a comment:

• kimo55
    replied

gotta rant on dis one:
    AMC.
    "Movies for movie people".
    but all we get is:
    some chick:
    "And I'm all like: Oh, EEEuuuu! that's so skeh-WEEE!"

and other couples basically telling us their reaction to other films
    "I like when the car goes flying over the hill, i like car crashes, she doesn't." "Well, not too much" "yea. She likes some..." duuuh.
    and quoting the most basic lines that everyone knows, with inane imitations:
    "I'll make him an offuh he can't refuse.."
    These are not "movie people"! They are the collective villiage idiots of Slobjerkistan! They have nothing perceptive to say about films! They give us no insight into their level of appreciation or understanding of the Hollywood product. because they have none.
    This collection of buffoons are as much "movie people" as that road runner technician is a heterosexual.
    infuriating.
    Last edited by kimo55; April 8, 2005, 06:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Surfingfarmboy
    replied

An observation from Kimo55:
    Or the egocentric genre "gitcher own box".
    'me first and only' Ah dun share with any family member.
    idiotic. What is this teaching kids?! (or even reinforcing to dimwitted adults?)
    I was going back looking at the older threads in this post, and I was thinking to myself this observation by Kimo55 about the Cheez-Its ads is what makes Hawaii the great state is above the other 49. I can't think of any other place where a viewer sees the now quite obvious to me...the selfishness that the "gitcher own box" promotes. Geez..I've watched the commericials dozens of times, and I didn't think anything of it at the time. Me thinks I've been away from the islands too long...I too am becoming more of an East Coast jaded know-it-all than the humble island boy I used to be.
    Last edited by Surfingfarmboy; April 7, 2005, 04:51 AM. Reason: Improperly quoted observation

Leave a comment:

• kimo55
    replied

" eHarmony is going for the "discerning, wholesome ugly single person" demographic."

so your issue seems more with the people, not the ads.
    hate em both!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X