• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nords
    replied
    Re: Least Favorite National TV Ads

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    That situation evolved out of celebs' distaste for appearing in commercials (degrading!) and their love of big money!
    IIRC there was a surge of international advertising in the 1990s when the anti-smoking backlash hit America and the tobacco industry was ramping up international sales. Madonna was one of the stars who smoked cigarettes for Japanese ads. I think there were some hard-liquor advertisers paying stars who also didn't want to have that image rebroadcast back in America.

That's a tough link to search for. "Madonna smoking cigarette" turns up a whole 'nother category of "advertising"...

Leave a comment:

• Walkoff Balk
    replied

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
    The ad is the one for Taco Bell's five-layer beefy burrito - in which the voice-over person say "89 cents!"
    That commercial had a creepy guy asking in a whisper voice to see a high school girl Taco Bell worker.

Leave a comment:

• Kimo
    replied

I don't really have a quarrel with the ad as such, except that it's increasingly annoying to be reminded of the cost of paradise so blatantly - in this case, pretty exhorbitant.

The ad is the one for Taco Bell's five-layer beefy burrito - in which the voice-over person say "89 cents!" and the graphic comes up on the screen at the same time and say $1.49 in Hawaii. That's a 67 percent markup if my math is right.

I know for a fact that past Taco Bell ads - both radio and TV - have changed the voice-over copy with local announcers when there is such a price differential so that voice and graphix match. I know the guy who did the revised voice-over . . . and part of the gig was also to do revised ads for Guam, where the differential between mainland and Guam prices was even more pronounced.

I still do patronize TB, however . . .

Leave a comment:

• tutusue
    replied

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    Big movie stars used to have to go to Japan and do commercials there which can't be shown in the US.
    That situation evolved out of celebs' distaste for appearing in commercials (degrading!) and their love of big money!

Leave a comment:

• Walkoff Balk
    replied

Originally posted by Sharilyn View Post
    Some actors go over really well in commercials, like Charlize Theron (perfume) and Kate Winslet (credit card). Oh, and I like Alec Baldwin (hulu.com). Others fall flat.
    Big movie stars used to have to go to Japan and do commercials there which can't be shown in the US.

Leave a comment:

• turtlegirl
    replied

That's exactly my point and my guess is Cover Girls point, too. I don't really see Ellen as an actress. A comedienne...yes. She always seems to just be herself, be it her old sitcom or the CG spots. Then, again, maybe that was just good acting! She's just so darn likeable. I'm glad she came out of the closet. I'm glad she found her tv niche. I'm glad she's phenomenally successful. And I'm glad she was able to get married.
    I absolutely agree! I'm so happy for her to be CG's model, and I just love her 'likeability' too!

Leave a comment:

• tutusue
    replied

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    ya know Ellen is such a cool actress I could care less if she were a lesbian. She's just one cool person!
    That's exactly my point and my guess is Cover Girls point, too. I don't really see Ellen as an actress. A comedienne...yes. She always seems to just be herself, be it her old sitcom or the CG spots. Then, again, maybe that was just good acting! She's just so darn likeable. I'm glad she came out of the closet. I'm glad she found her tv niche. I'm glad she's phenomenally successful. And I'm glad she was able to get married.

Leave a comment:

• turtlegirl
    replied

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
    or try imagining luke wilson in his underwear or something like that so you can laugh at him
    Haaaaaahahaha! That totally made me laugh!

Is it me, or is Luke Wilson looking a little *meh* these days...?

Leave a comment:

• craigwatanabe
    replied

I love Ellen De Generis in the Cover Girl spots. And kudos to Cover Girl for using a lesbian as a spokesmodel.
    ya know Ellen is such a cool actress I could care less if she were a lesbian. She's just one cool person!

Leave a comment:

• tutusue
    replied

I love Ellen De Generis in the Cover Girl spots. And kudos to Cover Girl for using a lesbian as a spokesmodel.

Leave a comment:

• Sharilyn
    replied

Some actors go over really well in commercials, like Charlize Theron (perfume) and Kate Winslet (credit card). Oh, and I like Alec Baldwin (hulu.com). Others fall flat.

Leave a comment:

• anapuni808
    replied

well, i think it's time to stage a revolt & steal the remote! or try imagining luke wilson in his underwear or something like that so you can laugh at him

(oh wait - that would just not be a pretty picture! better think of something else..................hmmm)

Leave a comment:

• surlygirly
    replied

I'm trying to mute them more, but I don't always have access to the remote. It's just that they play SO MANY of them. I apparently don't have very good tolerance when it comes to trying to ignore repetitious commericals when I don't always have the options of getting up or changing the channel.
    Last edited by surlygirly; January 7, 2010, 05:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

• anapuni808
    replied

quite seriously, don't watch the commercials if you don't like them. use the time for a snack or bathroom break. cause the commercials aren't going to change - but we can choose to ignore them.

Leave a comment:

• surlygirly
    replied

One of them needs to put a stop to the name-calling before Luke gets his (very unattractively styled) hair pulled. If companies want to have pissing matches, let them do it OFF SCREEN!! That makes me want to go with neither company, as I now perceive them both as whiny children sitting in a sandbox, fighting over the same shovel.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X