This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National TV Ads You Like

I know that there is another thread that deals with locally made commericals that you like to watch and another that deals with the local ones that you dread to watch. So this one will be about non-local commericals that you like to watch.

This year I noticed at least on NBC a commerical that has Christopher Columbus asking the Queen of Spain to sponser his trip to get wealth from the other side of the world. It looks nicely done, everyone is speaking Spanish and/or Italian with English subtitles, nice music, costumes and you think you are watching a preview to some movie since no out of place product is being sold. Music builds up, scene changes to where Columbus getting on one of three rowboats and says in subtitles "Take me to the flagship". One of the guys doing the rowing says "This is the flagship". And then voiceover about GE Captial Financing and something about not forgetting the details of a loan or something like that.

Not as funny as Charlie Sheen's Visa Check card commerical from a couple of years back but good enough to mention here.

Re: TV commericals you like to watch

My hubby watches the Golf Channel a lot and I enjoy the Tiger Woods commercial where his golf club cover "talks" back to him.
    Retired Senior Member

Comment

I love that Honda one.. you know, where all the car parts are lined up like dominoes, and each one makes another one go... one right after the other, all the way to where the whole car is put together. Can't get enough of that one!
      Aloha,
      Mokihana

Comment

I also enjoy the SONY one where the little girl is secretly taping her brother telling his girlfriend that..."You are my shining star"...then the parents view it!
        I always smile at that one!
        Retired Senior Member

Comment

The Sci-Fi channel airs promos plugging their channel, no message other than to fill air time. There is a series of promos using 2 guys in bunch of situations.

The promo that fits this thread is that these 2 guys are being robbed by a couple of street punks in a open parking lot. An elderly lady comes by and ask what's happening and one of the street punks responds to the elderly lady by saying What you are going to nag me to death. The elderly lady's eyes change color and the next thing you see is the 2 street punks landing hard on a couple of parked cars. The 2 guys then say Thank you to the elderly lady who saves them from the punks as the Sci-Fi logo comes on.
          Last edited by helen; June 17, 2004, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
            Not as funny as Charlie Sheen's Visa Check card commerical from a couple of years back but good enough to mention here.
            Oh you are so right. That was a great commercial. Charlie Sheen waiting so long to get his card approved that he turned into Martin Sheen. Real funny.

I like that Pepto Bismol commercial. The five people standing in line for the copier and they start dancing ala Macarena...

"Nausea, Heartburn, Upset Stomach, Indigestion, Diarrhea.... Pepto Bismol!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Mocha
              My hubby watches the Golf Channel a lot and I enjoy the Tiger Woods commercial where his golf club cover "talks" back to him.

that talking club cover is played by the same character as that talking oven mitt in the Arfy's roast beast commercials.
              http://flakmag.com/tv/ovenmitt.html

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                that talking club cover is played by the same character as that talking oven mitt in the Arfy's roast beast commercials.
                http://flakmag.com/tv/ovenmitt.html
                Just so you know someone noticed, I saw that roast beast reference. Every Christmas Day, roast beast.
                http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

I am not sure about everyone here,
                  but My hubby & I like the spoof,
                  taken off from a soap opear show
                  with the commercial advertisement
                  for Geiko. I think it goes something like this:
                  where Joan X was hoping that John Doe
                  would leave his other half, so she can be
                  with him, so John Doe says...
                  "I have good news...
                  I just saved a bunch of money
                  from geiko,
                  I saved, I thought that meant
                  something to you."

We thought that one was hilariously funny.
                  Aches & Pains
                  (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

Originally posted by Serenity
                    so John Doe says...
                    "I have good news...
                    I just saved a bunch of money
                    from geiko,
                    I saved, I thought that meant
                    something to you."

We thought that one was hilariously funny.
                    I wish it were not so badly acted. And the dude, he sez his lines out of frame.
                    maybe they were spoofing the low quality/production values of soap operas...

BUT...
                    and it's a big but...
                    many of us are not familiar with sope operas other than to be slightly aware that they exist, tho' we're trying to forget...
                    Last edited by kimo55; August 14, 2004, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                      I wish it were not so badly acted. And the dude, he's out of frame so much.
                      maybe they were spooking the low quality of soap...
                      Perhaps, but I think that they were suppose to have "badly acted",
                      & were not suppose to show professional acting.
                      It was more towards comedic side & towards people's
                      interest in signing up with Geiko.
                      I am betting on that, if it was trully for a soap opera show,
                      they would have done a better job, than how it is for Geiko.
                      Aches & Pains
                      (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

I wish it were not so badly acted. And the dude, he sez his lines out of frame.
                        Oh, absolutely the Geico ads are brilliant, and they are definitely spoofing both the general scenario, and the "production values" that go with them. That's why I like them so much.

The Geico ad with the soap opera actors mirror the bad sound, tight frames, fuzzy filters and yes, bad acting, of your average daytime soap. (They're watched religiously in my office lunch room - sue me!) The one with some kind of governmental hearing where someone's busted for money laundering looks exactly like footage straight off of CSPAN - wide frame, bad light, single POV. And the commercial for the hair loss doctor? Perfect, right down to the simple graphics/cards and the fine print that says "Dr. Joe Smith is not an actual physician."

So, yes, the flaws are on purpose.

They're so much better for that company than the ones with the talking gecko, which work half the time but bomb the rest of the time. Talking animals are tough to do right ("Aflac!" duck and the Serta sheep) and easy to go off the rails (that dog for Bush's Baked Beans, and some of the weirder Snuggle bear ads).

Comment

The one with some kind of governmental hearing where someone's busted for money laundering looks exactly like footage straight off of CSPAN

yes!

the commercial for the hair loss doctor? Perfect, right down to the simple graphics/cards and the fine print that says "Dr. Joe Smith is not an actual physician."

fooled me initially.

They're so much better for that company than the ones with the talking gecko,

Don't approve of that one anymore

"Aflac!" duck

I approve. these are great esp. when duck goes into barber shop and he's lined up with the afro ad in BG.

and the Serta sheep

boring and forced.

dog for Bush's Baked Beans,

no good any longer. and the dog's voice changes by each ad.

Snuggle bear ads
                          hate those.

Comment

The Capital One ads with former pillagers doing other jobs in today's world seem kind of enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by Tako Poke
                              Oh you are so right. That was a great commercial. Charlie Sheen waiting so long to get his card approved that he turned into Martin Sheen. Real funny.

I like that Pepto Bismol commercial. The five people standing in line for the copier and they start dancing ala Macarena...

"Nausea, Heartburn, Upset Stomach, Indigestion, Diarrhea.... Pepto Bismol!!"

I really like the Pepto Bismol commercial as well...Here is a link to it

http://paedia.adme.ru/video/reels/af...7069_00000.mpg

Comment

Working...
                              X