"Smith" on CBS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Smith" on CBS

I thought that was just toooo funny last night on the show to finally see the full thing. Maybe they can take that and learn something from it over in Hawai'i.

Ragin....when are you moving back?
    Tayo

FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    Mark Twain

"Smith" on CBS

While it was mentioned in the "Fall (Crap) Season" and "Surfing Localism" threads, the new CBS drama "Smith" is now on the air, and getting good notices. The wife and I watched the series premiere last night.

It was pretty good. I think my wife liked it more than I did. I definitely see a lot of potential. Time will tell if they live up to it.

Ray Liotta is the star, and relatively believable as a man living two lives -- professional criminal and paper cup salesman. But frankly, his wife, Virginia Madsen, was immediately a more compelling character. Jonny Lee Miller and Simon Baker already have excellent chemistry. Jonny's character and Amy Smart's character have some history... but frankly I don't care to know it.

Like many of the strong shows out now, it benefits from being shot like a movie. They're trying to be strong on music, too, but at least one track was jarring enough to pull me out of the moment.

As for the famous surfer-shooting scene? Turns out it apparently was supposed to be taking place here after all (and may have been filmed here). Simon Baker's character, who's challenged for surfing in the wrong spot, does indeed kill the "locals" - thuggish, burly "darkies" of course - who earlier gave him a hard time. ("Aloha," he snorts, as he walks away.) I don't know if it was to demonstrate he's got a short fuse (it seemed way too random), or if we'll later learn he was there to "hit" those guys anyway, but... after trying to calm everyone down in the earlier thread, now I'm feeling pretty uncomfortable with the whole thing.

Apart from that, though, it's on our TiVo.

Comment

Re: "Smith" on CBS

I watched it ....but then again I have been waiting for it! I LOVED it. I love Simon Baker. I was so disappointed when Gaurdian got cancelled.

I think it was fun. I like these new series that have a long drawn out story you have to watch to find out what happens. I think it appeals to women more because it has the soap like drama to it.

I am excited to see how it plays out....and to see Simon Baker in more tight jeans or topless!! Woohooo!!

Oh and those guys you described as thuggish..they were pretty fine too...wonder if they will let us know why he offed em! I doubt it was his short fuse...it seemed to me he was doing a job....but that's just my take on it.
      Since when is psycho a bad thing??
      Sharing withother survivors...
      www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

We were hoping for something more stylish and less violent with great dialogue like the BBC series Hustle. We had a negative reaction to the murder of the two surfers. If the purpose was to creep the viewers out about the Simon Baker character, it worked. Overall, it felt like they are trying to do the movie 'Heat' as a series.

I don't know if we'll watch it again even though we both like all of the actors involved. I did have a problem taking Amy Smart seriously as I couldn't get the helicopter stalking incident from 'Rat Race' out of my mind.

Comment

One of the "thugs" was Kainoa McGee, from what I understand. The other was a North Shore lifeguard.

Comment

Re: How bad is the surfing localism

Originally posted by Karen
            NO EXCUSES for taking surfing this far.
            It's a TV show, and that scene was done in very poor taste.
            Last edited by Keanu; September 20, 2006, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Queenolu
              I thought that was just toooo funny last night on the show to finally see the full thing. Maybe they can take that and learn something from it over in Hawai'i.

Ragin....when are you moving back?
              Two Hawaiians getting shot is funny? What is there for us to learn? that when somebody pisses us off, we should shoot them? What's wrong with you?

Comment

Hawaiians were getting shot on TV for a long time now... it's acting and hopefully they got paid well for their role in it.

Remember Hawaii 5-0.... Zulu (Det. Kono Kalakaua) got shot on national TV!

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                  Hawaiians were getting shot on TV for a long time now... it's acting and hopefully they got paid well for their role in it.

Remember Hawaii 5-0.... Zulu got shot on national TV!
                  That doesn't make it right. I'm tired of seeing Hawaiians portrayed as the bad guys. Hello? anybody familiar with the Massie affair?.... enough of this crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu
                    That doesn't make it right. I'm tired of seeing Hawaiians portrayed as the bad guys. Hello? anybody familiar with the Massie affair?.... enough of this crap.
                    Not to parrot Pālolo Joe, but wasn’t one of the two Hawaiians who were shot played by Kainoa McGee? You have to see the irony there. I wouldn’t be surprised if he had a hand in writing that scene. His way of putting the Surf Meet incident behind him.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                    USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

Ask yourself: would we have been as traumatized (and gotten the same impact) by the scene if it involved haole surfers arguing under, let's say, Huntington Beach Pier?

Localism is everywhere. When it is portrayed in Hawaii, people immediately think it is racially motivated. It is not about race, it is about who was there first. It is about the "deserving" and "undeserving".

Tunnl, I love the irony as well...............
                      You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
                        Not to parrot Pālolo Joe, but wasn’t one of the two Hawaiians who were shot played by Kainoa McGee? You have to see the irony there. I wouldn’t be surprised if he had a hand in writing that scene. His way of putting the Surf Meet incident behind him.

Yes Kainoa was one and Mel Pu'u the other.

I don't see the irony. Kainoa attacked the guy in the water only after he threw the first punch. He wasn't the one who attacked the guy on the beach.

Irony is reading comments about that beating and have people say "why is that haole guy laughing while one of his own is getting a beating". After watching the video a bunch of times, it appear they were making references to a person that looked like Andy Irons. Which would make the guy beating the haole, one of his own. That is irony brah.

Comment

Originally posted by nachodaddy
                          Ask yourself: would we have been as traumatized (and gotten the same impact) by the scene if it involved haole surfers arguing under, let's say, Huntington Beach Pier?

Localism is everywhere. When it is portrayed in Hawaii, people immediately think it is racially motivated. It is not about race, it is about who was there first. It is about the "deserving" and "undeserving".

Tunnl, I love the irony as well...............
                          I disagree.It's Just another way for caucasians to feel good about themselves. Kind of like watching Dog the Bounty hunter.

Comment

I disagree.It's Just another way for caucasians to feel good about themselves. Kind of like watching Dog the Bounty hunter.
                            You seem to already have formed a pretty solid conclusion on this event so this is the part where I wish you luck in all future endeavors.
                            You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Two Hawaiians getting shot is funny? What is there for us to learn? that when somebody pisses us off, we should shoot them? What's wrong with you?

NO, it's not about Two Hawaiians getting shot.......... it was funny for the stupidity that was shown... it didn't matter to me that it was two hawaiians or what.... I just thought the whole thing was funny.... simple as that... it would have been funny if it was white/black/asians.... race did not play into my comment. They acted stupid and the man acted stupid and shot them... that simple...

Goodness...why do everything have to become a race issue... get over it already. It's a TV show.... made for entertainment....

but it does have some level of truth to it... based on what others have said before about how you can't go to some beaches unless you are local....

Ohh yeah.. nothing is wrong with me. I stand by my comments.
                              Tayo

FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
                              Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X