Planet Earth on Discovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planet Earth on Discovery

Is anyone else watching this series? I know you can get it on DVD, but we're enjoying it on television.

My favorite scene from the 'Great Plains' episode was when I was feeling all bad for the goosling snatched by the artic fox until I saw the fox deposit it in the midst of seven pups.

Re: Planet Earth on Discovery

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
    Is anyone else watching this series? I know you can get it on DVD, but we're enjoying it on television.
    Coming April 27, in fact - just after the broadcast run finishes.

I'm recording them to watch at a later date, but the reviews have been effusive in their praise.

Comment

RIVETING! Absolutely breathtaking. They had a budget of $1 million per episode. Last night my girls were upset by the seal chasing the Empire Penguin but when another penguin was letting a seal have it they cheered it on! (And they recite a certain line from "Happy Feet" about ketchup!).
      When the producers and some camera crew members were on Oprah last week, they showed a clip about a parasite that takes over ants' brains and makes them crazy while its larvae grows out of the head. It wasn't lost on them that Sigourney Weaver is the narrator for the series and wondered what she thought of that. They also talked about how they'd get attached to certain animals, including the aforementioned fox. How they wanted the fox to succeed, but it was so sad to see that little gossling say bye mommy when the fox turned around for another look. What can you do? We're all working moms and dads who need to feed our kids!
      I think this is one set we'd buy for under the tree. Oprah (natch!) gave the set to everyone in the audience. It really gives you pause about how wonderful this blue marble of ours is and how we need to take care of it and all of its animals.
      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Bump...

I am in love with this show. Absolutely amazing show, all around. The one tonight(EST)on jungles was incredible.

This show has the total package, imo. Great cinematography, well narrated, and just just a joy to watch. I wish that there were more programs like this.
        flickr

An email from God:
        To: People of Earth
        Date: 9/04/2007
        Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
        God

Comment

Great series...I have a few episodes to catch up on...but it seems to be outpacing my former fave of a similar type of series- Blue Planet
          Hawaii my love, I will see you soon

Comment

Love this show. Just love it.

If possible, try watch it on a HDTV sometime. Makes the experience that much better.

The one with the shark leaping out of the water to attack that seal was absolutely mesmerizing, jaw-dropping. So was the episode with the exhausted polar bear attacking the walruses. That one was a real tear-jerker for everyone in my ohana.

I want to be one of the cameramen involved in making this series.

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post
              Love this show. Just love it.

If possible, try watch it on a HDTV sometime. Makes the experience that much better.

The one with the shark leaping out of the water to attack that seal was absolutely mesmerizing, jaw-dropping. So was the episode with the exhausted polar bear attacking the walruses. That one was a real tear-jerker for everyone in my ohana.

I want to be one of the cameramen involved in making this series.

Marco:
              Rethink that! I understand where you're coming from, but who the heck is in the water when the nile crocs are going after the water bison? Or the guy who waited weeks to catch the panda birth? Or the guy who was holed up under camoflauge awaiting the Blue Bird of Happiness's mating dance for eight weeks? Definitely gives you time to sort through the cobwebs of one's mind! On the other hand, whenever my 5-year-old daughter tries to give me a time out, I laugh. Oh how I'd love to go do nothing for 48 minutes!
              This series should sweep awards, and has set the standard for documentaries.
              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post
                [...] I want to be one of the cameramen involved in making this series.
                Yep...what Lavagal said!!!

Paul Atkins is a DP and camera operator with a lot of National Geographic and BBC credits. He lives on Oahu and travels the world shooting absolutely incredible footage. Check out his demo reels. The weather delays, among other horrendous conditions, for these types of projects are incredible. I forget how long he spent in Patagonia a year or so ago...waiting...waiting...waiting. He works under unimaginable conditions...conditions most of us wouldn't accept for even a day. Just schlepping all the camera gear to the airport would do me in!

Comment

Lavagal and Tutusue,

Yeah, I do know about the time, effort and tough conditions that these cameramen have to go thru. I've watched the interviews they've done at the end of each of these episodes and am not unaware of how hard a job it is. But I would still want to be one, because I love nature and the wild kingdom. And I assume that must be the foremost goal for those involved in shooting nature docs. It's obviously not for fame and fortune. Like lavagal said, you have to sit for weeks in really uncomfortable situations just to get one shot. But when you get that shot, the feeling of accomplishment, in doing something that you love must be amazing.

But then again, I'm saying that sitting on my lazy okole in front of the computer right now. I might feel different if I were out there, actually dealing with the conditions. It's all moot, anyways. I was just saying I wanted to be a cameraman, not that I will be one. I admire those who are willing to put themselves thru that to give the rest of the world a fleeting glimpse of our planet's natural habitats.

Maybe it's something I could try in 15 years or so when my kids are grown. Until then, I'll content myself with tuning into this amazing show with my wife and kids every week ...

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                  On the other hand, whenever my 5-year-old daughter tries to give me a time out, I laugh. Oh how I'd love to go do nothing for 48 minutes!
                  lol. I know what you mean. I never get a moments peace at home with my kids. Sometimes when I get home from work at 3 or 4 am and am exhausted, I'll purposefully stay up and watch TV or something, just because it's the only time that the house is actually quiet and I can do what I want to do.

Comment

The Japanese Giant salamanders were amazing....imagine having something that HUGE in your swimming hole. I find it interesting that a BBC production is narrated by an American actress, if I recall Blue Planet wasn't.
                    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                    Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
                      I find it interesting that a BBC production is narrated by an American actress, if I recall Blue Planet wasn't.
                      David Attenborough was the original narrator for the BBC; Sigourney Weaver was added for the American broadcast.

Comment

Really? No offense to Sigourney Weaver, but I think I'd rather hear David Attenborough narrate it.

Comment

Hats off to the camera crews. The HD equipment is big and bulky, like shooting Technicolor!
                          Burl Burlingame
                          "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                          honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post
                            Really? No offense to Sigourney Weaver, but I think I'd rather hear David Attenborough narrate it.
                            You can, if you buy either the HD-DVD or BluRay versions.

Comment

i love this show, too. i refuse, however, to watch it on my non-hd tv. the experience on a non-hd tv reminds me of those claritin commercials where you don't realize how "unclear" you had it until you take claritin and it "clears" everything up. since we've been staying at my place more often, we're behind on the planet earth eppies.

having also watched al gore's "the world has a fever" movie, watching "planet earth" adds to my guilt and desire to reduce my carbon footprint. i would rather that fawns get killed if they're chased by a wolf and eaten versus them dying off because i am too lazy to recycle.
                              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Working...
                              X