Sitcom - Laugh Tracks/Live Audience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sitcom - Laugh Tracks/Live Audience

I can't stand laugh tracks or sitcoms filmed before a live audience. I try to avoid them because they're so annoying. I used to like a few, but I find I'm more intolerant in my old age. In fact, I think I'm the only person who has never watched Friends. I mean, of course, I've seen a few seconds as I flip around, but I've never watched a full episode. Is anybody else weird like me?

How many sitcoms don't have a laugh track? The Office, My Name is Earl, Pushing Daisies, Reno 911... any others?
    I hate sitcoms with laugh tracks/live audience
    57.14%
    I love/prefer sitcoms with laugh tracks/live audience
    0.00%
    Doesn't matter to me
    42.86%
    What are you talking about?
    0.00%
    Last edited by nikki; October 8, 2007, 08:11 PM.

Re: Sitcom - Laugh Tracks/Live Audience

Originally posted by nikki View Post
    I think I'm the only person who has never watched Friends.
    Make that two of us.

Is anybody else weird like me?
    Oh, that's definitely two of us too!
    And yes, I dislike laugh tracks.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

As I recall live laugh tracks showed up on sitcoms (as far as I'm aware of) in the early 1970s with the advent of "All in the Family." Soon after many comedies went to the live audience format vs. the laugh track format.

What is annoying for me besides the live audience is the fact everything in the storyline basically occurs on set. Whereas shows that hvae no laugh track or a pre-taped one, have the freedom to shoot at various locations.

I guess today they can pre-tape the out of studio shots and incorporate them into the live audience segments. Hopefully the live audience can follow the story and laugh where needed.... though I suspect they have people holding up large cue cards that say "laugh", "clap", "applause", etc.

That all being said I am not the biggest fan of sitcoms.

I do remember back in the 70s when "Happy Days" debut on ABC, for the first season they used canned laughter. The next season and through the rest of their run, they went to the live studio format. I liked the original format instead of the live audience.

Which means I generally like those older sitcoms that had canned laughter... those such as "I Dream of Jeannie", "Bewitched," "Brady Bunch," "Partridge Family," etc.

I think prior to "All in the Family" perhaps "The Honeymooners" and "I Love Lucy" probably had live audiences too... I did not care much for "The Honeymooners" but I thought Lucy was hilarious.

I don't watch many and most of the current comedies, and only catch the ones I really like after they make their network run, since they are shown at all times of the day and many days of the week. I became a fan of "Seinfeld" after the show finished its run on NBC and went into daily syndication. I consider that show a classic.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

What's great (NOT) is watching those stupid live variety shows on The Filipino Channel or GMA with the laugh track playing, and they cut to the audience that isn't even laughing. Brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by nikki View Post
          In fact, I think I'm the only person who has never watched Friends. I mean, of course, I've seen a few seconds as I flip around, but I've never watched a full episode. Is anybody else weird like me?
          Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
          Make that two of us.
          The count is now up to three. I never watched Seinfeld, either.

I don't know if a laugh track would annoy me now or not; I can't think of the last time I was a regular viewer of any sitcoms.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
            Make that two of us.

Oh, that's definitely two of us too!
            And yes, I dislike laugh tracks.
            I never watched Friends too. Not even in reruns.
            Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
            Flickr

Comment

i don't really care for laugh tracks...

2 of my favorite shows don't have any..

The Office & Curb Your Enthusiasm
              website - http://www.brianhancock.com
              blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Working...