X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurricane Felicia

Per zztype on Facebook...

Re: Hurricane Felicia

It's too soon to be scared, but not too soon to be concerned. This is one to watch, fer sure!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

This is a good site for watching things develop, it gives a more complete visual of how the winds are moving:

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/TCFP/index.html

Comment

That's some sphincter-clenching imagery over there. Like watching the bullpen warming up and glancing our way.
        http://metocph.nmci.navy.mil/cgi-bin...r/goesfull.jpg

Theory is that the water to the east of the Big Island is still cold enough, and the trades still strong enough this time of year, to slow this one down and tear it apart. But Felicia sure is awful far north for being that far east. And if this is August then I'd sure hate to see September when the trades are weaker.

There are certain women's names whose mention triggers fond long-term memories for me. One by one, the world's meteorological agencies are ruining a lot of these cherished recollections by replacing them with new ones...
        Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
        Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
        We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
        Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
          There are certain women's names whose mention triggers fond long-term memories for me. One by one, the world's meteorological agencies are ruining a lot of these cherished recollections by replacing them with new ones...
          If they use "Matilda", I'm gonna freak out!

Comment

According to the NOAA list of storm names, Matilda is not on the list.

Hopefully this storm will lose it's strength or move off before hitting the state.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
              Hopefully this storm will lose it's strength or move off before hitting the state.
              Looks like it's intensifying at the moment, according to this as of about 15 minutes ago:

Hurricane Felicia intensifying, with winds now up to 125 mph

Hurricane Felicia, already a Category 3 storm, has intensified as it follows a westward path across the Pacific.
              At 11 a.m. Hawaii time, satellite imagery indicated that Felicia now has maximum sustained winds of about 125 mph. That's up from 115 mph at 5 this morning.
              Should Felicia's maximum sustained winds reach 131 mph, the storm would become a Category 4 system, one step below the maximum rating.
              Felicia is about 2,280 miles west-southwest of the southern tip of Baja California and moving northwest at about 12 mph.
              It is expected to enter the Central Pacific — Hawaii waters — sometime Saturday.
              The hurricane center's five-day projected track puts the center of the storm about 125 miles off Honokaa on the Big Island by 11 a.m. Monday morning.

(...)

To see a satellite loop of the storms, go to:
              http://www.prh.noaa.gov/cphc/pages/d...AC_IR_loop.gif

It all depends on the track and the water temperature and the upper-level winds. Keep your fingers crossed.

Comment

A forecast I saw predicted 15 ft. waves on exposed beaches, so I am wondering what will happen on the O'ahu sand bar, will Lanikai get waves? Does it ever? The storm is forecast to weaken a lot by the time it could effect Hawai'i. A friend is surfing south Baja right now, even though the storm is moving away from there now he still ought to be getting some good waves.

Comment

I hope it does blow itself out. This is a very strange season! Usually its our coast glued to the TV and watching the Gulf. I hope this season passes by without any major storms to EITHER coast.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

AP: Hawaii Hurricane response test reveals shortfalls

A powerful hurricane would shut down Hawaiian Electric's grid for 30 days. Streets as far inland as Beretania and the H-1 freeway would be flooded. Debris would block roads. And homes would be damaged across the island of Oahu, if a powerful hurricane struck Oahu, officials said.

The imagined scenario officials have been working with calls for a Category 4 hurricane -- meaning a storm with sustained winds over 130 mph -- to make landfall at Kapolei. The scenario had 130 deaths, 2,000 injuries, and many more missing.

LINK: READ MORE

Comment

Hurricane Felicia Weakening Fast
                      UPDATE: August 07, 2009 6:35AM
                      Felicia has weakened to a Category 2 storm far out in the Pacific. Winds are now sustained at about 100 mph with higher gusts. The center of the storm is about 1280 miles east of Hilo and moving west-northwest at 13 mph. The latest satellite photos show the eye of the storm has deteriorated, a good indication that the storm is losing steam and becoming less and less efficient. Forecasters expect felicia to continue weakening and be downgraded to a tropical storm by Saturday.

Comment

Just saw the local news and weather here in L.A. (around 5:30 PM PDT), and they are saying that it is expected to weaken a LOT before it gets there. Possibly the Big Island could get some rain, and some winds, but nothing hurricane-force. I hope they are right!

Comment

Don't let down your guard just yet. According to this latest report:

Felicia's winds increase to 105 mph as it nears Isles

Hurricane Felicia has strengthened a bit as satellite imagery shows it has become slightly more organized and winds have increased to 105 mph. The strengthening is expected to be short-lived and Felicia is forecast to weaken over the weekend.
                          At 5 p.m., Felicia was a Category 2 storm about 1,115 miles east of the Big Island and moving west-northwest at 14 mph.
                          Hurricane-force winds extend up to 35 miles from the storm's center and tropical storm-force winds extend up to 105 miles.
                          Forecasters don't expect Felicia to be a hurricane by the time it arrives, but they caution that the system still could bring heavy rain, strong winds and high surf.
                          Stores around the state reported brisk sales of emergency supplies yesterday, as Felicia continued to churn its way toward the Islands.
                          "It's an extraordinarily strong system right now," Richard Knabb, deputy director of the Central Pacific Hurricane Center, said last night. "The good news is that it's not going to be that strong when it gets to us. But that should not cause us to let our guard down. Even as it weakens ... it could still be a big rain-maker."
                          The state could start feeling Felicia's effects by late Sunday, though forecasters say heavy rains and strong winds might not arrive until Monday or Tuesday, depending on how fast Felicia is traveling.

Click the link for the rest of the story.
                          Interesting that it not only strengthened but also picked up speed. It's forward motion was 10mph yesterday and up to 14mph today. The eye had started to break up yesterday but re-formed today. Not good. Nor is the current track, which has it pointed directly at Hilo.
                          A lot is going to depend on the luck of upper-level wind shear.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                            Interesting that it not only strengthened but also picked up speed. It's forward motion was 10mph yesterday and up to 14mph today. The eye had started to break up yesterday but re-formed today. Not good. Nor is the current track, which has it pointed directly at Hilo.
                            A lot is going to depend on the luck of upper-level wind shear.
                            My spouse the meteorologist says "diurnal heating".

Apparently the storm spins down overnight because of colder water and wind shear, but heats up during the day's sunshine despite the water's cooling effect. Then it spins down again at night. So instead of a steady glide slope down it's more of a roller-coaster oscillation along the dropping glide slope.

This morning there's no eye:
                            http://metocph.nmci.navy.mil/cgi-bin...ac_trop_ir.jpg

At "only" 90 MPH winds and a 15 MPH SOA it's moving a little faster, but I've read that picking the center of a storm without an eye is fairly difficult and controversial.
                            http://metocph.nmci.navy.mil/jtwc/warnings/ep0809.gif

The Hurricane Hunters are flying:
                            http://www.starbulletin.com/news/200...ml?mobile=true
                            Last edited by Nords; August 8, 2009, 06:28 AM.
                            Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                            Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                            We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                            Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Huricane Felicia

Huricane Felicia

My friend in Hawaii tells me that this hurricane will be arriving on Tuesday according to the weather people and will be bringing a lot of rain. So batten down the hatches my friends.

Comment

Working...
                              X