• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Government Shutdown 2013

Frustration mounts over federal government shutdown
    http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/2...nment-shutdown

Government shutdown forces closure of Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
    http://www.khon2.com/2013/10/01/gove...national-park/

USS Arizona Memorial closed during shutdown, other historic sites remain open
    http://www.kitv.com/news/hawaii/USS-...p/-/index.html

Re: Government Shutdown 2013

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post

And which political party can you thank for the economic damage being caused to Hawaii as they play the petulant fool's game?
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Our government 'servants' have been replaced with government 'leaders.' Now our 'leaders' are being replaced by our 'rulers.'

It's a sad thing to see a DREAM die.

Those meant to serve us are now using us.

Impeach them all - oops, Homeland Security Is knocking, be right back (I hope).
      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
      ~ ~
      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Shut down the Federal Government?

And we thought Bush II was dumb! I am appalled at the arrogance of our representatives and of our "Chief of State" (aka POTUS).

My newest moniker for our fearful leader: Odumba.

Yes, I'm angry. I'll bet THEY don't go without....
        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
        ~ ~
        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
          And which political party can you thank for the economic damage being caused to Hawaii as they play the petulant fool's game?
          That should be obvious. The House Republicans, or at least the Tea Party faction, are having a tantrum. To the argument that voters decided on Obamacare, they say: Democracy, Shemocracy! We don't like it, and that's what counts.

It's hard for me to understand why, in general, the liberal media, insist on blaming "Washington", or "Congress", for the current impasse. It not either of those. It's the damn House Republicans. John Boehner is taking advantage of some archaic features of our government to subvert a democratic resolution of the budget crisis. It's evident that a vote in the House on a "clean CR" would pass it, even though the Republicans are in the majority there, and the government would be opened again. But Boehner can block that vote from happening, and so that's what he's doing.

Why would he do that? Everybody knows that, too. He does not favor holding the nation hostage to the enemies of Obamacare (he's said so), but to remain Speaker of the House, he needs the Tea Party vote. So that's what it's come down to. The government stays shut down, or Boehner loses the Speakership.

How is this Obama's fault? How is it Congress's fault? How is it Washington's fault? I get so sick of hearing this.
          Greg

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
            It's way worse than State parks closing, PEOPLE ARE DYING and National security is threatened because conjobs are petty partisan Obama/lib haters and can't stand not getting their way all the time. Especially when they keep losing elections and decisions due to relying on little else but public ignorance and hate, it's got to be frustrating.

Originally posted by GregLee View Post
            The government stays shut down, or Boehner loses the Speakership.

How is this Obama's fault?
            Well, it is a pretty cush job. I mean, look at the tan on that man, you don't get a fake brown like that for free!

Because whack-o's say so.
            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

It's hard for me to understand why, in general, the liberal media, insist on blaming "Washington", or "Congress", for the current impasse. It not either of those. It's the damn House Republicans.
              Exactly!

It's evident that a vote in the House on a "clean CR" would pass it, even though the Republicans are in the majority there, and the government would be opened again. But Boehner can block that vote from happening, and so that's what he's doing.

Why would he do that? Everybody knows that, too. He does not favor holding the nation hostage to the enemies of Obamacare (he's said so), but to remain Speaker of the House, he needs the Tea Party vote. So that's what it's come down to. The government stays shut down, or Boehner loses the Speakership.
              Boner has put his personal interests ahead of the interests of the nation. He should be put on trial for treason.

The House Republicans are ALL at fault for not standing up to a group of 80 Teathuglican anarchists. If they are not part of the solution, they ARE the problem.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

We're all in this together as the politicians are not getting paid.
                Wait, what?

Comment

Just wait til the US defaults; the citadel of capitalism repudiating capitalism. Maybe it will just be a minor little glitch but anything could happen. Its so insane, so reckless. I feel like a passenger on a jet and the pilots have gone stark raving bonkers.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
                    Just wait til the US defaults; the citadel of capitalism repudiating capitalism. Maybe it will just be a minor little glitch but anything could happen. Its so insane, so reckless. I feel like a passenger on a jet and the pilots have gone stark raving bonkers.
                    Wow, I actually agree with Kalalau on something. Okay, we’ve agreed in the past, but it is a rare occasion.

It’s funny to me that the libs on this board cannot see the connection between what the House GOP is doing and the budget impasse. Basically, they’re trying to get Dems to acknowledge for the first time in their life that the buck has to stop somewhere. Where are the feds getting all of this money for these “health connectors”? Why are Medicare co-pays going up for every drug, doctor visit, hospital visit and monthly premiums going up for every “HMSA Akamai Advantage” member in 2014? Oh, but there’s no connection between those two either, right?

Most people who support Obamacare would struggle mightily to name three things the bill accomplishes. In fact they would shake their fist at you angrily if you told them that the Affordable Care Act actually imposes a monetary fine on anyone who fails to enroll in a medical insurance plan. Or that fine increases every year. Or if you own a small business it will cost you a hell of a lot more to cover your full-timers. Oh, but big business won’t be penalized the same way. Lucky you live in the USA?

Shutting down the federal government provides at least some savings for a country that is drowning in debt. But not nearly enough to avoid a default if Congress does not raise the debt ceiling by October 17th. So relax. Congress and Barry will hash this out by then. Because no Congress or U.S. President has ever allowed the country to default in American history. They’re not about to start now. And they’ll have to pass a budget before they can take action on that.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                    USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                      It’s funny to me that the libs on this board cannot see the connection between what the House GOP is doing and the budget impasse.
                      It's funny to me that the Tea Baggers, Libertarians, and Republicans can't see the connection to their stated agenda that their only agenda is to repudiate everything that the President does. But I guess that's what TuNnL vision does to you!

Basically, they’re trying to get Dems to acknowledge for the first time in their life that the buck has to stop somewhere.
                      Basically they are saying that they want to repudiate the law of the land. They are saying that they want a minority to dictate to the majority.

And where were you when Reagan, Bush I and Bush II raised the debt ceiling numerous times? Oh, that's right, Faux Gnus didn't have a problem with that so why should you.

Where are the feds getting all of this money for these “health connectors”?
                      You haven't been paying attention. The money is coming from savings by streamlining the health care system that was enacted three years ago.

We also need an increase in taxes. Federal taxes have never been lower since the early 50's. Raise taxes and the deficit disappears, like it did under Clinton.

Why are Medicare co-pays going up for every drug, doctor visit, hospital visit and monthly premiums going up for every “HMSA Akamai Advantage” member in 2014? Oh, but there’s no connection between those two either, right?
                      I just got my policy for my 2014 Medicare Senior Advantage program two days ago. Premiums remain the same, doctor visits remain the same, lab work goes up from $30 per visit to $40 per visit (I have blood work done twice a year so I will be paying a total of $20 more a year.......how will I ever survive? the sky is falling! the lab technicians don't deserve a pay increase, their salary should be cut), hospitalization daily cost went down by about 10% (dang, that Barry actually did streamline the system). You are spreading misinformation. You have been watching too much Faux Gnus.

Most people who support Obamacare would struggle mightily to name three things the bill accomplishes.
                      I love it when things are made so easy for me!
                      1. Those who currently have no health insurance will now be able to get affordable coverage
                      2. "Pre-existing conditions" will now be eliminated as a reason to deny anyone coverage.
                      3. This is the first step toward a "single payer" health care system in the US which will take a lot of the exorbitant profits out of the health care insurance industry.

(Need I continue?)

In fact they would shake their fist at you angrily if you told them that the Affordable Care Act actually imposes a monetary fine on anyone who fails to enroll in a medical insurance plan. Or that fine increases every year.
                      That is all true. The alternative is to have uninsured people get their health care through the more expensive welfare system.........or do you prefer to see sick people dying beside the roadway?

Or if you own a small business it will cost you a hell of a lot more to cover your full-timers.
                      In some States costs will go up and in some States costs will go down. You are only telling half the story, but that is the M.O. for Faux Gnus.

Oh, but big business won’t be penalized the same way.
                      No, they wont be penalized in the same way, they will be penalized in a different way. Get your information from somewhere other than Faux Gnus!

Shutting down the federal government provides at least some savings for a country that is drowning in debt.
                      Actually, shutting down the government INCREASES the debt by eliminating sources of income or defers increased expenses.

But not nearly enough to avoid a default if Congress does not raise the debt ceiling by October 17th. So relax. Congress and Barry will hash this out by then. Because no Congress or U.S. President has ever allowed the country to default in American history. They’re not about to start now. And they’ll have to pass a budget before they can take action on that.
                      The Teathuglicans are anarchists. They are capable of doing anything. Some of them say they want another Revolution.....how quaint!

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
                        I feel like a passenger on a jet and the pilots have gone stark raving bonkers.
                        Lopeti, let me put a little different spin on your analogy.

400 people get on a plane in San Francisco with a ticket for Honolulu they purchased a year ago. As the plane leaves the ground (the wheels aren't even up yet) 80 terrorists rush the flight cabin and say that they don't want to go to Honolulu, they want to go to Bakersfield! The captain of the plane says he won't negotiate with terrorists. The terrorists say they will set off a bomb and bring the plane down if they aren't taken to the Buck Owens museum in Bakersfield immediately. The captain says that if they put the bomb down and take their seats, he will talk to them about their demands AFTER they arrive in Honolulu. The terrorists say no, they know better than the rest of the passengers on the plane and we're all going to Bakersfield, ALOHA shirts and all. The captain of the plane says that the last time I negotiated with you, once we got to Bakersfield, you demanded that all the passengers had to go to the Buck Owens museum and eat poi. He said the answer is no, I will not negotiate. The terrorists set off the bomb and the plane goes down in flames. Faux Gnus reports the captain of the plane, a man from Kenya, flies jet with 400 passengers aboard into the ground and 80 patriots benevolently put other passengers out of misery before plane hits ground.

Moral of story: Better kine give stink eye to bully kine than watch another episode of Tea Party Hee-Haw.

Comment

Where are the feds getting all of this money for these “health connectors”?
                          You tell us. Government employment has decreased, the budget deficit has decreased, in the current budget negotiations, the Democrats have accepted the lower figure that was proposed by the Republicans.
                          Why are Medicare co-pays going up for every drug, doctor visit, hospital visit and monthly premiums going up for every “HMSA Akamai Advantage” member in 2014? Oh, but there’s no connection between those two either, right?
                          It's possible that higher premiums are connected with Obamacare, but I see no connection with prices for drugs or doctor visits. Medical costs have been rising faster than the general inflation rate.
                          Most people who support Obamacare would struggle mightily to name three things the bill accomplishes. In fact they would shake their fist at you angrily if you told them that the Affordable Care Act actually imposes a monetary fine on anyone who fails to enroll in a medical insurance plan. Or that fine increases every year.
                          If everybody is to get health insurance, everyone has to pay premiums, so that healthy people will pay for sick people. That's just how it works. If you're one of the healthy ones, well, sorry about that.
                          Greg

Comment

Medical costs have been rising faster than the general inflation rate.
                            Here you go:

Comment

Shutting down the federal government provides at least some savings for a country that is drowning in debt.
                              My choice for the most moronic statement outside of the DC partisan pukes pulling this shit, at least we know who's in favor of having killed this country.
                              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Working...
                              X