Travel to Tokyo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel to Tokyo

Whoopeeee!!!! Im planning a trip to Japan!!!! Im super excited, and also somewhat clueless as to what Im getting myself into. Thinking of going around December 9-23 ish, dates are flexible based on ticket price.

Im looking for advice, please. Any personal experience, tips, suggestions, stories, dos & donts, etc. , would be really helpful.
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Re: Travel to Tokyo

Pick a Tokyo neighborhood for your hotel, some area that has many of the things you are interested in. (Shopping? Sightseeing? Nightlife? History?) Find something close to the Yamanote Line, and that train will get you all over town. (We stayed in Ikebukuro, fwiw.)

Do you want a hotel with fanciness and a lot of amenities? That can get pricey. But if you expect to be out-and-about most of the time and just need a comfortable place to crash overnight, consider a "businessmen's" hotel. They are small but clean, affordable, safe, and will provide you with your basic needs. (And you can always splurge for a night or two someplace fancier, or even at a ryokan.)

Be adventurous in your eating. When else will you get the chance?

Test out your Nihongo skills; don't be shy or ashamed, as most Japanese will be pleased at your efforts - and you'll find enough English-language signs and speakers to accommodate you.

Be prepared for Christmas-display overload. The Japanese LOVE the celebration of Christmas, even though most are not Christians.

Comment

Thanks Leo!!

The major purpose of this trip is for me to be able to practice the Japanese that Ive been learning. Basically, the cheaper I can get lodging for, the longer Ill be able to stay there, and I intend to spend as much time as possible out on the streets listening to and talking to anyone that will let me. No fancy, no amenities.

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
        Im looking for advice, please. Any personal experience, tips, suggestions, stories, dos & donts, etc. , would be really helpful.
        First off, make sure you have the required travel documents (passport), and check with the Embassy for the most current information. Get those needs under control, then work on shopping, etc., as a secondary list to tackle.
        Travel, how fun for you!
        Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
          Whoopeeee!!!! Im planning a trip to Japan!!!! Im super excited, and also somewhat clueless as to what Im getting myself into. Thinking of going around December 9-23 ish, dates are flexible based on ticket price.

My son is a doctor and works with his g/f who is also a doctor in Kyito (hope I've spelled it write?) They work in an ER, live in a cheap wood house, work the clock around and then go backpacing..

Comment

one thing I learned when I went to Japan was to not act like an American, a Westerner. I learned very quickly that I was in THEIR country - it was a hard lesson but very worthwhile for while I was there and while continuing on with my life.
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Hmm. Don't mule drugs and don't try to use squat toliets while drunk. Yes, I know I'm oh-so-helpful. But seriously, how awesome that you get to go! What an adventure! Are you going alone or is the boyfriend going too? My dad has to go to Tokyo twice a year for business, so I'll ask him if he has any recommendations.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

SG is right about the toilets - those can be brutal!

I got to spend a month there and saw so many beautiful sights. I hope you get the same opportunities that I had. Have a wonderful trip!
                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Call Matt Porth at Discount Air for the best in ticket prices. Really. This is not an ad...he's been helping our family with excellent air travel prices for more than 25 years.
                  (808) 591 8261
                  http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                  http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks everyone! Im going alone, unless I can convince anyone to come with me.

Squat toilets? Thats gonna be exactly what it sounds like, isnt it. What happened to those fancy Japanese style bidets with the heated seats?

Comment

you will only find those in the very nice hotels! other places - they're often "squat" style, and often UNISEX! Be prepared to have to adjust your reality a bit.
                      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I'm so excited for you! You're going to have the best time, and knowing even elementary Japanese will be helpful. Just be warned, even though you speak Japanese there will be some people who act like you're not speaking their language. They'll either speak English in reply or just act like they don't understand you. When I say "act" I don't mean they're trying to be rude or purposely snub you. But it's sort of an expectation thing -- when you're expecting a person to speak one language, and they speak a different language, it can really throw you off. I wrote about it in this blog entry: http://sophielynette.wordpress.com/2...eview-part-iii

If you'll be staying in Tokyo, you'll be doing most of your traveling by subway. I didn't have much difficulty navigating the actual subway, but finding the right station can sometimes be tricky. Buy a good Tokyo map and Subway guide and you should be okay. I'd recommend getting a PASMO or SUICA subway card. Can be used on all the subways and above ground trains, and I believe on the busses as well. It doesn't save you any money like a 1-day pass, it just makes it easier than fumbling for correct fare all of the time.

Keep a record of everything you buy and how much it cost. It'll make it so much easier to fill out the custom forms on your way home if you're not trying to remember prices.

The squat toilets really aren't that bad. I tried one just for the novelty of it. Just remember to stand as far forward as you can and hold onto the pipe for balance. But really, everywhere I went had at least standard Western-style toilet alongside the squat toilet. Although it's advised to carry your own tissue paper because there might not always be some in the stalls. I also noticed a lot of public restrooms didn't have soap or paper towels, so you might want to bring a little bottle of hand sanitiser or a packet of wet wipes. My hostel had toilets with the fancy heated seats, and it was sooo wonderful in the early mornings!

I stayed in two different places during my stay:

The Khaosan Tokyo Annex in Asakusa
                        http://www.khaosan-tokyo.com/en/annex/
                        Good price, good location, close to restaurants, subway stations, temples and an onsen. The staff were extremely nice and helpful. I stayed in one of the Cabin Beds which was very comfortable. This was the hostel with the heated toilets. Bathrooms and showers are shared. There was a 99 Yen store just a block down where I got my breakfast every morning. I enjoyed it.

New Koyo
                        http://www.newkoyo.com/
                        A little more out of the way past Ueno but still near the train station. A single room there was cheaper than the cabin bed at Khaosan and had a television, free wi-fi and a futon bed, although the room was a bit chilly. Bathrooms and showers are shared and they also have their own onsen which was so nice to relax in at night. Staff was also extremely helpful.

All of my blogs about my trip to Japan can be found here:
                        http://sophielynette.wordpress.com/?s=japan
                        Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
                        Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

I'm so excited for you! You're going to have the best time, and knowing even elementary Japanese will be helpful. Just be warned, even though you speak Japanese there will be some people who act like you're not speaking their language. They'll either speak English in reply or just act like they don't understand you. When I say "act" I don't mean they're trying to be rude or purposely snub you. But it's sort of an expectation thing -- when you're expecting a person to speak one language, and they speak a different language, it can really throw you off. I wrote about it in this blog entry: http://sophielynette.wordpress.com/2...eview-part-iii

If you'll be staying in Tokyo, you'll be doing most of your traveling by subway. I didn't have much difficulty navigating the actual subway, but finding the right station can sometimes be tricky. Buy a good Tokyo map and Subway guide and you should be okay. I'd recommend getting a PASMO or SUICA subway card. Can be used on all the subways and above ground trains, and I believe on the busses as well. It doesn't save you any money like a 1-day pass, it just makes it easier than fumbling for correct fare all of the time.

Keep a record of everything you buy and how much it cost. It'll make it so much easier to fill out the custom forms on your way home if you're not trying to remember prices.

The squat toilets really aren't that bad. I tried one just for the novelty of it. Just remember to stand as far forward as you can and hold onto the pipe for balance. But really, everywhere I went had at least standard Western-style toilet alongside the squat toilet. Although it's advised to carry your own tissue paper because there might not always be some in the stalls. I also noticed a lot of public restrooms didn't have soap or paper towels, so you might want to bring a little bottle of hand sanitiser or a packet of wet wipes. My hostel had toilets with the fancy heated seats, and it was sooo wonderful in the early mornings!

I stayed in two different places during my stay:

The Khaosan Tokyo Annex in Asakusa
                          http://www.khaosan-tokyo.com/en/annex/
                          Good price, good location, close to restaurants, subway stations, temples and an onsen. The staff were extremely nice and helpful. I stayed in one of the Cabin Beds which was very comfortable. This was the hostel with the heated toilets. Bathrooms and showers are shared. There was a 99 Yen store just a block down where I got my breakfast every morning. I enjoyed it.

New Koyo
                          http://www.newkoyo.com/
                          A little more out of the way past Ueno but still near the train station. A single room there was cheaper than the cabin bed at Khaosan and had a television, free wi-fi and a futon bed, although the room was a bit chilly. Bathrooms and showers are shared and they also have their own onsen which was so nice to relax in at night. Staff was also extremely helpful.

All of my blogs about my trip to Japan can be found here:
                          http://sophielynette.wordpress.com/?s=japan
                          Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
                          Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Thank you!! I love your blog! You have to tell me where the neko kissaten (cat cafe) was, because that place is at the top of my *things to see* list. All the guidebooks steer tourists to pretty much the same stuff. meh. And I checked out the places you stayed at online. Of the two, which was your favorite?

Comment

Back in my college days, I spent a summer travelling all over Japan by train. In large cities, you shouldn't have much problem communicating because many locals speak at least basic English, especially those in the service industry. Out in the country, few people speak English.

One cost-saving tip is to skip the expensive restaurants in the fancy shopping districts. Duck into a mom-and-pop lunch counter tucked away down a side street or alley and you can find a reasonably priced bowl of udon, etc. Look for the noren curtains in the doorway or the chochin lanterns hanging outside that advertises the specialty of the house.

Comment

Working...
                              X