Best Salad Bar in Honolulu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Salad Bar in Honolulu?

Where is a good Salad Bar in Honolulu to PC? With a good variety?

How is Dukes?

Re: Best Salad Bar in Honolulu?

I hate to say it, but Ruby Tuesday's has the best salad bar I've seen in a long time. It's ten bucks if you don't order it with a meal. I don't like LOTS of variety in my salads, but I like a good mix of non-iceberg greens (iceberg is great, but it's cheaper and just as interesting at home), especially bitters and dark-green leafies. I require grape tomatoes. Bacon I can take or leave; ditto for croutons, but if the croutons are light and airy (as opposed to dense and crunchy), I'll gratefully put them on. Strips of cold cuts (as in a chef's salad) are always appreciated. Cucumber slices, please, and red onions cut thinly. Spinach is a HUGE plus. I love cold tofu cubes, too, and mung bean or soy bean sprouts. Cheese is nice, either grated or cubed, but make it good cheese, please. And replenish the greens frequently; I hate the feeling I'm getting what's left after everyone else has gone through!
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
      I hate to say it, but Ruby Tuesday's has the best salad bar I've seen in a long time.
      I'll second that opinion. (Both parts of it. )

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Whatever happened to saladbars with just lettuce, red jello, garbanzobeans, and thousand island dressing?

(Actuall, I remember Sizzler's with the fondest memories. The had this wonderful crab, celery, and mayonnaise salad...)
        http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
        http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
          Whatever happened to saladbars with just lettuce, red jello, garbanzobeans, and thousand island dressing?
          The Wisteria closed a few years ago. Maybe that's why.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

[...] but I like a good mix of non-iceberg greens (iceberg is great, but it's cheaper and just as interesting at home), especially bitters and dark-green leafies. I require grape tomatoes.[...]
            Pssst! Scriv! Have you discovered the $1. generous side salads at McDonalds yet? A really nice mix of various leafy greens with very, very little iceberg, a coupla grape tomatoes, a few peeled slices of carrot and a choice of several dressings. Ya can't beat it for a buck! The dollar menu isn't even displayed in the Waikiki McD's that I frequent but it is offered if ya ask for it. I usually buy 2 salads at a time and, with the rest of the "salad bar" that's prepped and waiting in my fridge (lotsa goodies!), I end up getting 3 salads out of my McD's purchase. For me, there's no spoilage doing it this way...unlike when I buy larger quantities in the supermarket.

IIRC, Duke's has a nice salad bar but I don't know if it compares to Ruby Tuesdays.

Comment

I was about to suggest Sizzlers too but it's been a long time since I went to one so I have no idea on the selection available now a days.

If by some chance you are in the Ala Moana Food Court, the Steak Company has a small but decent selection of vegtables. Drawback is the price and a one trip only rule. There is another vendor that specialize in salads as well but the name escapes me, but it's located on the ocean side of the food court.

Of course Ruby Tuesday has a location at Ala Moana.

The Ala Moana Foodland has a make your selection for salad but I never tried it before.

Comment

I hate to say it, but Ruby Tuesday's has the best salad bar I've seen in a long time. It's ten bucks if you don't order it with a meal. I don't like LOTS of variety in my salads, but I like a good mix of non-iceberg greens (iceberg is great, but it's cheaper and just as interesting at home), especially bitters and dark-green leafies. I require grape tomatoes. Bacon I can take or leave; ditto for croutons, but if the croutons are light and airy (as opposed to dense and crunchy), I'll gratefully put them on. Strips of cold cuts (as in a chef's salad) are always appreciated. Cucumber slices, please, and red onions cut thinly. Spinach is a HUGE plus. I love cold tofu cubes, too, and mung bean or soy bean sprouts. Cheese is nice, either grated or cubed, but make it good cheese, please. And replenish the greens frequently; I hate the feeling I'm getting what's left after everyone else has gone through!

Man I feel like I'm in your head, Scriv, when you compose your salad. Do you drizzle anything on top? A vinegarette? A sassy French? A sharp Blu Cheese? Balsamic and Olive Oil?

Sue is right: When I need a salad on the fly, I go to McDs and get one or two sides with the sesame ginger low-fat dressing. It is a satisfying salad for my $1 or $2!
                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Since I don't eat meat of the 4-legged kind, I actually like variety in my salads (no croutons, please). I've been enjoying the ones at Salad Creations in Waikiki Shopping Plaza. They are so tasty, I almost don't even need any dressing! And they are quite large too. (And yes, there's meat for those who need it in their salads).

http://www.saladcreations.net/

I also have been enjoying the salad place at Ward Warehouse, Aloha Salads:
                  http://www.alohasalads.com/
                  Last edited by AbsolutChaos; June 6, 2008, 08:46 AM.

Comment

When I belly up to the bar, the only 'salad' I want is the olive in my martini

Other than that, The Wailana has a small but pretty yummy selection.
                    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                      I'll second that opinion. (Both parts of it. )
                      motion carried. just had ruby's salad bar about a week ago.

"There is another vendor that specialize in salads as well but the name escapes me, but it's located on the ocean side of the food court."

helen are you talking about paradise bakery/cafe? i like their salads especially the salad sampler where you get a choice of 3 different types.
                      "chaos reigns within.
                      reflect, repent and reboot.
                      order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

I went to Duke's last night and it sucked (da food too Huli-Huli chicken and the BBQ ribs) I also had a taste of the Teri Beef and that was good. Service was good but the hour wait kinda was boring.

I go to Sizzler Pearl Ridge once a month for our Miata Car Club meetings and at Sizz's they have a wide variety including soup, make your own tacos, ice milk and pasta bar. I went to the Kalihi one a few months before and it is not as clean as the PR one.

Comment

I had Ruby's Two's too last month for the first time (ala moana one). I loved it. I really had a craving for a salad (or two helpings..) and I didn't feel like paying for one of those "weigh your own" salads (which in my case would have come up to $15 for a small salad).. Anyway, it was good. Really good. All sorts of veggies, potato salads (a must, potato salad and red beets on my salads), soft croutons, a variety of dressings. for what, $10? ($2 more or so and you get that entree (or is it entree plus $2 for the salad bar?) The waitress even allowed my companion's "appetizer" to be considered an entree for a price savings with her salad bar).

Anyway, good stuff. All you can eat.
                          n'importe

Comment

Working...
                          X