Low Sodium Food/Restaurants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Sodium Food/Restaurants

Can anyone recommend a good restaurant that serves low sodium food? Also, I would appreciate any recipes/ideas for homemade low sodium food. Thanks!

Re: Low Sodium Food/Restaurants

Originally posted by Adri View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good restaurant that serves low sodium food? Also, I would appreciate any recipes/ideas for homemade low sodium food. Thanks!
    Don't know of any specific low sodium restaurants in Honolulu, but most places (other than Chinese restaurants) cook with very little salt so the patron can add their own salt as necessary.

I am also on a low sodium diet. But I use "No Salt" which is potassium chloride, as a salt substitute when cooking. It really works well, and tastes like salt, but you cannot use too much because it tastes bitter if you use too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Expat Kamaaina View Post
      Don't know of any specific low sodium restaurants in Honolulu, but most places (other than Chinese restaurants) cook with very little salt so the patron can add their own salt as necessary.
      Thank you for the No Salt tip! Also, I found out last night that at least several local restaurants are willing to prepare certain dishes without using salt upon request. Initially, I thought my friend would have to go only to health food type places if she wanted to eat out.

Comment

Adri...call ahead to a restaurant of choice and ask if they can cook your menu choice with no salt or if they have menu items that are easily adaptable. Also, most recipes calling for salt can be made without salt. Maybe google for cooking or baking without salt to see when salt is an absolutely necessary ingredient. Otherwise, just eliminate salt or, as EK mentioned, use No Salt. I'm not on a salt free or reduced sodium diet but I rarely cook with salt.

Comment

Thanks tutusue! I was shocked at how much salt is in stuff like canned beans and other vegetables. I mean plain beans, not baked beans or anything like that. I was going to make hummus but when I looked at a can of garbanzo beans, it had too much salt in it even without adding any other ingredients. My friend is trying to go back to all fresh ingredients but it does take a lot more planning.

Comment

Thanks tutusue! I was shocked at how much salt is in stuff like canned beans and other vegetables. I mean plain beans, not baked beans or anything like that. I was going to make hummus but when I looked at a can of garbanzo beans, it had too much salt in it even without adding any other ingredients. My friend is trying to go back to all fresh ingredients but it does take a lot more planning.
            Most of the salt is in the liquid of a canned product. You can pour off the liquid and rinse the veggie in a colander. Keep in mind, tho', that the veggies will absorb some of the salt but draining and rinsing will get rid of a lot of it. Some canned veggies come in a low salt or no salt added version. Yes, lots more planning!

Comment

Use fresh soybeans for hummus, absolutely delicious. You have to boil them first of course and shell them (which I find tedious!) and make like you would
              a regular canned () recipe.

Comment

Fresh soybeans? Really? Looking forward to trying. But it occurs to me that the tahini probably has salt in it so gotta find low sodium tahini if there is such a thing.

Comment

Fresh soybeans? Really? Looking forward to trying. But it occurs to me that the tahini probably has salt in it so gotta find low sodium tahini if there is such a thing.
                  we don't use tahini.

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
                    we don't use tahini.
                    Oooo, do you mind sharing your recipe?

Comment

Working...
                    X