Hilo wins Cal Ripken World Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hilo wins Cal Ripken World Series

Congrats to Hilo's Cal Ripken team !!! Juss saw them beat Mexico 5-2.

Second year in a row for a Hawaii team to beat Mexico in the final.
    Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Re: Hilo wins Cal Ripken World Series

Right on Hilo!

Pahoa might have a Parade for you

Comment

Very, very cool. Thanks for the info, PK!

Comment

Thanks, PK. Saw some great footage on the local newscasts tonight. Two winning teams from the islands in a row. Fantastic. Hope they have a great homecoming.

Comment

Is it just me or did the media play up Oahu's win last year more than Hilo's win this year? I remember them LEADING off the news with the win. This time around it was just another sports story. They even reported about the father who quit his job to watch his kid play. Hilo's team had a parent who did the same thing, but nothing is said. Well done Hilo !
          Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
          Flickr

Comment

Way to Go Hilo boy`s... You made the 50th State proud.
            What happened to the news coverage on these boy`s. Oahu boy`s had plenty coverage last year. Give these boy`s some news coverage too!!!
            They deserve it..............

OGGBOY
            bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by oggboy
              Way to Go Hilo boy`s... You made the 50th State proud.
              What happened to the news coverage on these boy`s. Oahu boy`s had plenty coverage last year. Give these boy`s some news coverage too!!!
              They deserve it..............

OGGBOY
              Amen ! Come on Govenor Lingle, give these boys a day too.
              Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
              Flickr

Comment

Last year, the Ewa Beach Little League dramatic "walk-off homer" victory became a major news item, whereas Honolulu's Cal Ripken World Series tight 1-0 win over Mexico didn't. Why? Simply because Little League is more well known.

Whereas the Little League games on ESPN are noted in the sports pages of the local newspapers, no mention was made of the Outdoor Life Network's broadcasts of the Cal Ripken WS games. I had to continually check the Comcast TV Guide to see when the games were on OLN.

Today, I read nothing in the San Jose Mercury-News about the Cal Ripken WS win. Maybe I should e-mail the writers to see if they'd heard anything about it . . .

I was fortunate to have caught Hilo's Saturday win against Satsuma, Georgia to get the US championship, then Sunday's overall championship win against Mexico.

Imagine . . . I would have missed seeing their girl outfielder (the Hilo coach's daughter) and a 3' 7" batter who crouched so low that, of course, he walked the first time he batted against Satsuma.
                Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

I was fortunate to see all three games yesterday on OLN. I even taped the championship game. Man can these boy`s play. Just think, away from home for a month and having to play all these teams b-4 reaching the championship games then winning.
                  Last year East Oahu team, This year Hilo team. Way the go Boy`s.... Maybe next year three-peat....GO HAWAII!!!!!!

CAN???/CAN!!!!
                  OGGBOY
                  bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

A mid-day update from the Advertiseron the team's return, passing through Honolulu on the way back to Hilo. Video posted, too. I was wondering if anyone was going to be able to meet the team inside the "restricted zone."
                    The 12th member of the team, 12-year-old Kawika Pruett, and his mother, Rene, were at Honolulu Airport to meet the team and join them on the flight to Hilo. Kawika is an eighth-grader at Highlands Intermediate and ended up playing for Hilo because his mother works on the Big Island and has a residence there. The baseball journey was also a sweet one for Kawika, who was a member of the Pearl City team that finished second in the state last year to West O'ahu, the eventual 2005 Little League World Series champion.

Comment

Working...
                    X