Cocqui Frogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cocqui Frogs

Well I know the Big Island is invaded to the point of no return.

Anyone hearing them anywhere else yet in the State?

Re: Cocqui Frogs

Originally posted by manoasurfer123

Yes, I've heard them in Wailuku...but only one or two of them... so far. They start up around 10 p.m. and croak until around 5 a.m. I cannot imagine the ruckus a whole army of coqui would cause.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
      Yes, I've heard them in Wailuku...but only one or two of them... so far. They start up around 10 p.m. and croak until around 5 a.m. I cannot imagine the ruckus a whole army of coqui would cause.

Miulang

Like I said before imagine a banyan tree full of myna birds at or near sunset then imagine that sound from evening to dawn. One or two is pleasant but hundreds are not
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang

Miulang
        It only takes two to create an army!

Comment

It only takes two to create an army!
          Foa reals! And that's what the official name for a bunch of frogs is: ARMY

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Here's some fuel for the fire.

http://www.hawaiiancoqui.org/

They have odes to them!

http://www.hawaiiancoqui.org/coquisong.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Bard
              Here's some fuel for the fire.

http://www.hawaiiancoqui.org/

They have odes to them!

http://www.hawaiiancoqui.org/coquisong.htm
              Pure lunacy We were down on Banyan drive in Hilo at night
              a few months ago. It appears the Coqui have invaded the Banyan trees.
              I'm sure all tourists are thrilled to hear that.

I personally find Coqui's sound maddeningly annoying.
              Check out my blog on Kona issues :
              The Kona Blog

Comment

Yea, I used to hear 'um in the shower...in the backyard we get one outside shower thingy ~ and I think that little bugger found a new home in our back yard...I have no idea where he came from,too.
                sigpic

Comment

My folks were all excited when they found a buncha frogs they thought were cocqui frogs. My father did his best to kill them all, but they were fast buggers and some got away. They were so sure the frogs were cocqui. But I got on the state website for cocqui frogs (http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/coqui/identification.asp) and they discovered the frogs, while still somewhat noisy, were not cocqui frogs. Now they feel kinda bad about killing them.

Comment

My wife sent me that site when I started talking with her about the frogs. She's always the optimist. Me, I'm looking in my crystal ball and see ... *swirling mists* new triple paned windows. Those things do wonders for noises outside.

Comment

Sound-proof windows help out quite a bit when one lives in a coqui frog-invested locale. While spraying citric acid and lime temporarily helps in eradicating the some of the frogs, new ones simply reinfest the sprayed area. Strangely, some varieties of coqui are endangered in their native Puerto Rico. So far, it looks like paving over everything with concrete might be the only sure-fire way to get rid of them.
                      Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

If it is always the humans fault that this species or that species goes extinct, then how is it that with a concerted effort we can not extinct the coqui on Big Island?

Things like this make me wonder.
                        FutureNewsNetwork.com
                        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                          If it is always the humans fault that this species or that species goes extinct, then how is it that with a concerted effort we can not extinct the coqui on Big Island?

Things like this make me wonder.
                          We haven't had much success with driving cockroaches to extinction either. The simple way to rid Hawaii of coquis is to import their natural enemy. That would be a snake. Mongoose retraining would be an easier sell.
                          “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                          http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Funny how in LasVegas frogs are good luck, so will killing one bring bad luck?
                            Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                            Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin
                              We haven't had much success with driving cockroaches to extinction either. The simple way to rid Hawaii of coquis is to import their natural enemy. That would be a snake. Mongoose retraining would be an easier sell.
                              Chances are, the snakes would find something better to eat, like birds, instead of coqui frogs, Thus, we'd end up with a snake problem in addition to the coqui frog problem.

Here's something that might reduce the coqui frog population....
                              Pan-Fried Coqui

- 5 lbs of coqui frogs
                              - 3/4 cup lemon juice or vinegar
                              - crushed ice
                              - 1 cup milk
                              - 6 eggs, separated
                              - 2 tbsp olive or vegetable oil
                              - 1/4 tsp salt
                              - 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
                              - vegetable oil

Wash the coqui frogs thoroughly. Place in a large pan and sprinkle with lemon juice. Cover with crushed ice and refrigerate 1 to 3 hours.

Combine the milk, egg yolks, olive oil and 1/4 tsp salt.

Beat the egg whites until stiff. Fold into the batter.

Sprinkle the frogs with salt and pepper to taste. Dip the frogs into the batter then dredge in the flour.

Fry until golden brown in oil heated to 375 degrees. Drain on paper towels.

Serve and Enjoy!
                              Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Working...
                              X