2009 Nobel Peace Prize

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 Nobel Peace Prize

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009...l-peace-prize/ http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009...l-peace-prize/

President Obama won one and this year 4 women won one (the most in any one year according to the articles I've read).

Re: 2009 Nobel Peace Prize

I love the President, but this is ridiculous. Doctors without Borders. Amnesty International. Bishop Desmond Tutu. Barack Obama?
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

In his speech today he addressed the absurdity of it all quite succintly.
      As his kid's said, "You won the Nobel Peace Prize today, daddy. It's also Bo's birthday and a three day holiday!"

This is just the world community giving BushCo a well deserved and long overdue punch in the nose, thankfull that America may have found it's moral compass once again with the new President.
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Obama's award is premature, to say the least. What were the selectors thinking?? This early into his presidency, we don't yet know how far the war in Afghanistan will escalate. And how will he handle the saber rattling from Iran and North Korea?

If the same prize was given to Obama in 2016, it would be a great honor. But in 2009, less than a year in office, it just doesn't feel right. At this point, it might be prudent to decline the award, just as N. Vietnam's Le Duc Tho declined his Nobel Peace Prize in 1973 (also awarded to then US Secretary of State Henry Kissinger), saying that there was still no peace in his country.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Maybe you missed it...

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
          This is just the world community giving BushCo a well deserved and long overdue punch in the nose.
          The decision was made just two months into his term.
          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

That prize was included as a bonus in the president's rookie contract.

Comment

I love Howard Dicus' take on this subject. YMMV...

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                I love Howard Dicus' take on this subject. YMMV...

joan walsh of salon.com came to a similar conclusion.
                In recent years the Nobel Peace Prize has more often honored promise and encouraged progress than it marked concrete, permanent achievements in the realm of world peace. So the prize went to President Carter's ultimately unsuccessful 1978 Middle East peace drive; and to the same still uncompleted effort by Yassir Arafat and Yitzhak Rabin in 1994. In 1991, Aung San Suu Kyi won the prize in her jail cell, but the point was to support democracy in Burma (and 18 years later, she is still under house arrest).Thinking about the Northern Ireland Catholic and Protestant "Peace Mothers" who won the award in 1976, years before real peace accords, I suddenly saw Obama's win as strangely humble, and personal: One man trying to reverse the bloody tide of recent American history.

French President Nicholas Sarkozy (not always an Obama fan) said about why the U.S. president really got the Nobel Peace Prize: "The award marks America's return to the heart of the people of the world."
                superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Yeah, all day long, I've heard the pundits on talk shows waxing on about how the Nobel Peace Prize has been given to some awardees based, not on actual accomplishments, but on potential. Based on the idea that the award will hopefully reinforce the ideas espoused by the recipient.

If that is the objective of the Nobel award, then I understand the rationale in Obama receiving the award. But I still don't agree with it. When I think of the most deserving winners, it's folks like Mother Theresa and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. People that received the award based on many years of actual accomplishments and used the notoriety/publicity of the award to further their good deeds on a larger scale.

When the Nobel committee goes out on a limb and makes an award based on potential, it inevitably leads to dubious recipients like Yasser Arafat. Winners like him only serve to cheapen the award, IMHO.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

The nomination occurred shortly after his election but it wasn't, I think, that the powers that be decided to give Obama the prize 12 days into his administration. Also, this article quotes the Secretary of the Nobel committee that decides who receives the peace prize as saying:

"• Myth: The prize is awarded to recognize efforts for peace, human rights and democracy only after they have proven successful.
                    More often, the prize is awarded to encourage those who receive it to see the effort through, sometimes at critical moments."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091009/...el_peace_myths

I'm on a listserv where there are several people who feel strongly that Obama should have declined the prize. However, if the Nobel Foundation's committee's secretary's information is correct, then the prize was awarded to Obama to encourage him to continue his efforts for peace, human rights and democracy and not based on an assumption that he has accomplished these goals. In light of that, it may not have been premature to give him the award if they felt he was otherwise deserving of it. Declining the award would not negate the fact that it was awarded to him. In my opinion, declining the award would not accomplish anything other than making our President and perhaps the United States in general seem churlish and ungracious. Essentially it would be saying to the Nobel Foundation that we think they don't even know how to make their own awards based on their own criteria, that we reject their expression that they think well of our leader and perhaps our country, and that we know better than anyone how things should be done. In my opinion, that just reinforces the worst stereotypes of the "Ugly American" and encourages a negative world image of us.

From what I've seen, Obama's response is perhaps the best response we can make ~ he doesn't claim credit and has stated an intent not to accept the prize money; he says that he accepted the award as a sign of commitment to working with others towards these goals; he's not trying to use it for leverage in anything as far as I've seen so far; yet he's gracious and not denigrating or embarrassing the organization issuing the award (as in, hey you dopes, you don't even know how to decide who gets your own awards!).

This is not to say that everyone needs to be jumping up and down with pom poms cheering that Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize but he didn't seek it and it behooves us as a country to be gracious about the honor.

Comment

Adri, what a very well-written response to all this fuss, from both sides about the prize. I think you really saw what is behind the Nobel Prize Committee making its decision. Thank you for posting this! Now, have you thought about submitting to the newspapers for a letter to the editor?
                      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Yep! What anapuni wrote.^^^

Adri, you and Howard Dicus have put this topic in total perspective for me. Thank you.

Comment

Thank you anapuni808 and tutusue!

Comment

Rather him get a prize than G, Bush. There again,,, I am not a Yank. Who am I to judge ?

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                              This is just the world community giving BushCo a well deserved and long overdue punch in the nose, thankfull that America may have found it's moral compass once again with the new President.
                              Really? If this is an international response to us, it's more like a girlie punch, and I'm not talking about those effective sucker gut punch girls can hit, but thrown by male wusses.

Sorry, but the recipient of this year's Nobel Peace Prize have gotten me scratching my head.
                              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Working...
                              X