Fargo on FX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fargo on FX

FX is airing a ten-part “limited series” called Fargo. It’s an interesting adaptation, because it borrows neither the plot nor characters from the Coen Brothers film; rather, it attempts to recreate the look and feel in a similar (still Minnesota, but not Minneapolis or Brainerd) setting. Billy Bob Thornton and Martin Freeman head a great cast that also includes Colin Hanks and a new actress named Allison Tolman.

The critics love it, and I was intrigued enough by the description that I’ve checked out the first two episodes. I am HOOKED. I wasn’t sure after one episode, but I am sure after two. All the things that made the film so interesting and different are here in this series, minus the specific talents of the film's amazing cast. I have one reservation, and it is the length of the series. They’re going to have to introduce several more plot elements to keep this thing interesting for eight more episodes, because I don’t think they can stretch what they have.

FX is a basic-cable station, one of those which usually follows the same schedule blocking as the broadcast networks, but of course it doesn’t have to, and episodes of Fargo are an hour and fifteen minutes in length, just like the early days of basic cable when shows on USA would sometimes end or begin twenty-five minutes after the hour, if that’s the time that was needed. Honestly, it feels kind of like watching a very short movie each week (so far).
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: Fargo on FX

I have to agree with you on this. I think this is the best new TV series to come around in a long, long time.

I missed the first two episodes, but managed to catch up via re-runs and online. The last three weeks have been unbelievable. The episode three weeks ago (Buridan's Ass) might have been the best single TV episode I've ever seen. This week's episode (A Fox, A Rabbit, and A Cabbage) might have been the second best. I can't wait for next week's two-hour finale.

Comment

My wife and I are really enjoying this show. I had the same concerns over how they would expand the conceit, based on a fantastic two-hour movie, into a miniseries.

Last week's episode brought a narrative twist that pretty directly addressed this question of material. I was initially skeptical but I've enjoyed the ride up to this point so much that I'm happy to see where it goes from here.

Comment

Lester Nygaard is SO EVIL!!!!!
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

My thoughts exactly.

This Fargo series has a lot of loud WTF moments in it. And a lot of soft WTF moments. It's that good.

Comment

Working...
          X