First Kolea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Kolea

I saw my first kolea of the season this morning--he was hanging out on the front lawn of the Valkenburgh fire station, near Moanalua Shopping Center and Holy Family School. Saw two more later the same morning.

Where'd you see your first kolea this fall?
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: First Kolea

Wow, that was fast! I guess the Alaskan summer must be over already. I haven't seen any kolea this season yet.

Comment

what is a Kolea? I've seen some okoles, some sweet some pretty raunchy, but I'm not sure about Kolea's.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Kolea is the Hawaiian name for the Pacific Golden Plover (which is a very cool name, if you ask me). The picture I'm attaching is borrowed and modified from http://www.hawaii.edu/environment/bi...ingPlumage.jpg.

You can get acquainted with them at http://www.hawaiinaturecenter.org/kolea/ .

I love these birds. The stilt-like legs, the oddly shaped body, the territorial-ness, and the solitude all appeal to me for some reason. And then the migration! "Well, I guess it's time to go to Alaska," I imagine them thinking. Such a strange, strange thing, for a bird to fly from Alaska to Hawaii and back every year.
        Attached Files
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Seen one today about a block from Queen Street.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
            Kolea is the Hawaiian name for the Pacific Golden Plover (which is a very cool name, if you ask me). The picture I'm attaching is borrowed and modified from http://www.hawaii.edu/environment/bi...ingPlumage.jpg.

You can get acquainted with them at http://www.hawaiinaturecenter.org/kolea/ .

I love these birds. The stilt-like legs, the oddly shaped body, the territorial-ness, and the solitude all appeal to me for some reason. And then the migration! "Well, I guess it's time to go to Alaska," I imagine them thinking. Such a strange, strange thing, for a bird to fly from Alaska to Hawaii and back every year.
            That's not strange at all! My parents fly from Hawaii to Las Vegas TWICE every year! AND BOY ARE THEIR ARMS TIRED!

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
              My parents fly from Hawaii to Las Vegas TWICE every year! AND BOY ARE THEIR ARMS TIRED!

Ha ha ha ha! Too funny.

Now I have to ask, is it from the one arm bandit or just flapping their arms over 2,000 + miles of water?
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Silly you Mel what do you think! Of course it's from the flapping!

Comment

Ho, get plenty now on the Honolulu Hale lawn. I counted at least six while I was just passing through there. The plumage is still dull, though. When do they get the spiffy black-white-and-golden racing stripes?

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                    The plumage is still dull, though. When do they get the spiffy black-white-and-golden racing stripes?
                    As I recall, the plumage changes just before they're ready to fly back to Alaska.
                    And apparently the kolea are territorial. There's one here on our property in Kaneohe that's missing its right foot; that same bird has been here every year for over 5 years now.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Re: First Kōlea

The kōlea I saw the other day was sleek and dramatic in its spring plumage; it's almost time for them to leave. Time to say aloha and a hui ho kākou to our part-time residents until the end of summer. The lawns of Hawai'i will be a little drabber without them.
                      Last edited by Glen Miyashiro; April 6, 2005, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Yeah. The guys I see on my way to school every day are nearly ready, too. Some are completely dressed in their new plumage, while some have only recently begun to make the change. I'll miss them, too.
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Same here. Fun seeing them in their 'tuxedo' plumage. And they're looking very well fed... stocking up for that looooong flight.
                          We have one kolea that's been coming to our property every year for six years. Easily identifiable due to missing its right foot. And of course I named him Chester.
                          He's become very used to me and lets me get within just a foot or two before he gets nervous. I'll be looking forward to his return...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

The ones at UH-Manoa are still hanging around, usually gone by now. Maybe they've finally wised up and decided it's not worth flying all the way to Alaska or Siberia for the summer?

Comment

Originally posted by Albert
                              Maybe they've finally wised up and decided it's not worth flying all the way to Alaska or Siberia for the summer?
                              No way. They go there to mate, and how could that not be worth it? Heck, I'd probably fly there, too, if that's what it meant!
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                              X