Dining Out, What Are Your Peeves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dining Out, What Are Your Peeves?

I've gone out to dinner twice in the past two days, since my house is a wreck from the moving sales.

I'll have to say...I've gotten very odd service! The first night, the server checked on me FIVE times...a little bit of overkill? Well, then, when I wanted the bill...she vanished! Grrrrr!

Night two, I wanted a salad with the fish n' chips...the waiter brought it. Before I could chomp down four bites, he comes sashaying over with my dinner. Sigh. I told him to please take it back until I finish my salad. Sheesh!

Since I've been in the f&b business for some 29 years...I may be a little picky about service...but, don't you think the quality of service has seriously declined over the years? What is your biggest peeve about dining out?

Re: Dining Out, What Are Your Peeves?

I would have to say...when telling the server about something wrong with the order (usually for me is some unwanted foreign non food object in the food) I get various responses-usually none of them ideal. From calling over several people to confer over my food at the table and my all time favorite -one person laughed and tried to tell me that, the item was part of the food...
    Sometimes you can get an apology, sometimes you get your food replaced, most of the time I get a blank look as if to say..What should we do? we have no idea...
    Hawaii my love, I will see you soon

Comment

There just is no customer service out there anymore. Service are terrible and most of the time over here where I live...... it's like they are doing you one huge favor.
      Tayo

FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
      Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Hope
        I've gone out to dinner twice in the past two days, since my house is a wreck from the moving sales.
        I feel you on this this Hope about eating out .... I have been basically eating out for the past month.... the house was a mess to get it ready for sale... now that it is on the market... I still can't cook because I have to maintain everything in clean tip top shape..... I barely live in the house now because I am confined to one room and make sure I wipe and clean up everything immediately.

I can't wait until I can act like I live in the house again...... but then.. I will be getting ready to move out.

Tayo

FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
        Mark Twain

Comment

I tend to like to eat facing the entrance of the restaraunt...

I like to see who's coming in I guess

Comment

Originally posted by Queenolu
            There just is no customer service out there anymore. Service are terrible and most of the time over here where I live...... it's like they are doing you one huge favor.
            I love to dine out, every day for lunch (it provides a break from the office), as well as a couple of dinners a week. Bad service, good service - you get the whole range. If I get terrible service somewhere, I don't come back, so I don't know if that's an ongoing issue with that location. (One chance to make a first impression and all that...) In places with good service, I become a regular, and the service tends to get even better over time. If they slip up once in a while, I know it's not a regular occurrence.

So by process of evolution and elimination, I get good-to-great service almost everywhere I go. And I tip generously, in order to help keep it that way.

Comment

My pet peeve is when they are rude and curt to you than EXPECT a huge tip. I still tip but I am not going out of my way if I had to ask 5 times for water!

OR...(this happened to me) The waitress walks up and asks for my ID so I oblige and she continues with "I seriously doubt that you are over 21..no one over that age would have pink hair so if you will excuse me I need to show my manager your ID"

The manager and I had a little confab!
              people are so weird!
              Since when is psycho a bad thing??
              Sharing withother survivors...
              www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

I hate it when I get the check before I'm done eating. What, my waiter/waitress is from Russia? THEN WHY'S HE/SHE RUSHIN'????

Congratulations to myself on my 200th post. [pops collar]
                Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery
                  I hate it when I get the check before I'm done eating. What, my waiter/waitress is from Russia? THEN WHY'S HE/SHE RUSHIN'????

Congratulations to myself on my 200th post. [pops collar]
                  what if that waitress happens to be a "hot hapa lady"

Comment

Another pet peeve of mine is that more and more places are starting to add in gratuity automatically even to a small party of 2 or 3. Where is the incentive to provide decent service? They are quick to shove responsibility for mistakes on the order at the kitchen already..with the tip added in I find that they alot of the servers get very complacent then-you can't ever find them, have to ask about your order and how long it's going to take to get to your table and so forth...so now you have to actually make a big deal to get the tip amount removed or lowered.
                    I went one place where they even charged a tip on a take out order?!?!?!?!?
                    My reaction went along the lines of- What the????
                    Last edited by hawaiidreamin; September 20, 2006, 11:54 AM.
                    Hawaii my love, I will see you soon

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                      what if that waitress happens to be a "hot hapa lady"
                      Haha...then I'm in a conundrum.

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery
                        Haha...then I'm in a conundrum.
                        I thought you were in a restaurant.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                          I thought you were in a restaurant.
                          LOLOL. that's why I love HT. Y'all got jokes

flickr

Comment

Gratuity isnt usually added unless youre at a fancy shmancy restaurant. Or they think youre tourists.
                            People who work in food service usually are more critical but also way more generous. I think everyone should work for a waiter as a year.
                            My pet peeve is people who talk on the cell phone. I was at Stuart Andersons for lunch and not only was the service lousy, but there was a guy in a booth with the phone stuck to his head the whole time we were there. His lunch pal probably hates him.
                            Also, if you work as a waiter, I'd recommend a movie called 'Waiting..." Its sort of like clerks/40 year old virgin/grandmas boy-ish humor. "Never mess with the person serving your food"
                            Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

I tend to eat at fast food places. The worse I have seen it is when most of the staff are dealing with drive thrus orders and only one person is handling the people who come in and order. Said person also has to make the shakes which takes time to do, in the meantime the line to order gets longer.

Comment

Working...
                              X