Smaller cars in Hawaii?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smaller cars in Hawaii?

Since I left Hawaii long time ago, so I don't know.

Cars today seems to get bigger and bigger. Take Honda Accord for example. It used to be a small car back in the 70s and 80s. Then it became a good medium size car. Today, the Accord is large, and hungry. We can add Trucks-SUVs to the list too. A pick up truck is huge compare to 15-25 years ago.

Also, there are a bunch of smaller cars too. Or we should call them micro cars. Cars like the Honda Fit. Ok, I know they are roomy, and etc, but you know what I mean by "small."

Just wondering. With high gas prices, and smaller streets and parking spaces, are small cars popular?

I'm only using Honda for example. But we can use any brand.

Re: Smaller cars in Hawaii?

Originally posted by cabanalane View Post
    A pick up truck is huge compare to 15-25 years ago.
    I know what you mean. I don't necessarily mind that trucks are getting bigger, but I wish I could still buy the smaller-sized ones. I used to have an old Toyota pickup, and although I like the new Tacomas, I wish I could still buy a mini-truck from Toyota.

Just wondering. With high gas prices, and smaller streets and parking spaces, are small cars popular?
    Yeah, those "micro cars" as you call them are definitely popular.

Comment

Cars today seems to get bigger and bigger. Take Honda Accord for example. It used to be a small car back in the 70s and 80s. Then it became a good medium size car. Today, the Accord is large, and hungry. We can add Trucks-SUVs to the list too. A pick up truck is huge compare to 15-25 years ago.
      There's a practical reason why compact p/up trucks aren't as popular as before. It's called safety.

Back in the old days, people didn't think twice about having any number of passengers ride in the open bed of their trucks. But with laws becoming more restrictive and more news stories about fatalities involving p/ups, truck owners are more apt to purchase vehicles with extended/crew cabs so that they can carry a couple of people in the back seat and not get hassled by the cops... or their conscience.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
        There's a practical reason why compact p/up trucks aren't as popular as before. It's called safety.

Back in the old days, people didn't think twice about having any number of passengers ride in the open bed of their trucks. But with laws becoming more restrictive and more news stories about fatalities involving p/ups, truck owners are more apt to purchase vehicles with extended/crew cabs so that they can carry a couple of people in the back seat and not get hassled by the cops... or their conscience.
        Is that really the compelling factor? If someone wanted to haul people, wouldn't he/she buy a minivan or an SUV -- or even a sedan? Isn't there still a market for people who buy trucks just to haul stuff and not people?
        Last edited by zff; June 2, 2011, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post
          Is that really the compelling factor? If someone wanted to haul people, wouldn't he/she buy a minivan or an SUV -- or even a sedan? Isn't there still a market for people who buy trucks just to haul stuff and not people?
          Let me guess. You've never owned an open bed pick-up, right? 'Cause if you did, then I wouldn't be answering this qustion.

Yes, if someone wanted a vehicle to haul a family of 3 or more kids to school, shopping, and soccer practice, then of course it makes sense to purchase a minivan or SUV.

But that's not what I was talking about. I was thinking more along the lines of someone who doesn't usually carry passengers. But there's the key word. Usually. There are occasional times when a single guy (or gal) needs to give 2 or more friends a lift. If that person owns a crew cab, then he/she has a back seat to use. It may not be ideal for everyday use with kids or for long road trips. But if you're in a pinch, it'll do.

Not so for a p/up truck with a small cab that's only meant for the driver and one passenger. At the most, you could try to squeeze in two passengers. And even then, you could get pulled over by a cop and cited if there's no seat belt for the middle passenger.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Let me guess. You've never owned an open bed pick-up, right? 'Cause if you did, then I wouldn't be answering this qustion.
            I stated in my previous post that I used to own a Toyota pickup. I own a Mazda B-series now, but if I need to carry more than 2 people, I would use my car.

I don't doubt that there are uncommon situations -- the single guy who often has to haul big stuff and only occassionally has to carry more than 1 other person, or the 1-vehicle family that's always hauling big or dirty cargo. I'm not saying there isn't a market for mid-sized trucks. All I'm saying is there must surely still be a substantial market for the small ones too.
            Last edited by zff; June 2, 2011, 11:54 AM. Reason: Spelling, elaborate, etc.

Comment

I own a Mazda B-series now, but if I need to carry more than 2 people, I would use my car.
              Yes, IF you own a second car. OTOH, a lot of people can only afford to own one vehicle and need to make the choice that will best fulfill their needs. And at the present time, the compact p/up doesn't seem to be that choice.

I don't doubt that there are uncommon situations -- the single guy who often has to haul big stuff and only occassionally has to carry more than 1 other person, or the 1-vehicle family that's always hauling big or dirty cargo. I'm not saying there isn't a market for mid-sized trucks. All I'm saying is there must surely still be a substantial market for the small ones too.
              You claim that there "must" be a substantial market for the small pickups. Well, if such a market still existed and money was to be made, then don't you think the auto manufacturers would definitely be trying to supply that demand?

The truth of the matter is that there's no longer much of a demand for the compact-sized pickup in this country. If there was, then Ford wouldn't be ending its domestic production of the Ranger. (The 2011s are the last model year for this longtime nameplate.)

Comment

I had a hand-me-down '89 Ranger. I never liked trucks before that--I'd seen too many ostentatious city drivers with giant gas guzzlers. Hummers drive me crazy! But I am there with you folks who love the smaller trucks. You have all this hauling potential while you're just zipping around. This one actually had a tiny, uncomfortable extended cab, so people hardly ever rode in the bed. It was a good distance from perfect, but it worked when needed.

Right now, I've got a Subaru station wagon, which works for the family vehicle...carseat in the back, or put the seat down to haul the xmas tree or whatever.

Comment

You claim that there "must" be a substantial market for the small pickups. Well, if such a market still existed and money was to be made, then don't you think the auto manufacturers would definitely be trying to supply that demand?
                  Yes. I'm sure the auto industry knows its market WAY better than I do, but rereading my post, I can see how it looks like I'm try to imply otherwise.

I guess I was just sort of venting my frustrations at the lack of choices in the compact truck category. I was taking a bit of license and using "must" in that rhetorical, longing sort of way. You know, like "surely, there 'must' be a way to convey the subtleties of spoken language in text". Either way, it's a fruitless longing, I'm aware.

I didn't realize HawaiiThreads was such an unforgiving audience. Maybe I need to use more smileys. I'm just not a smiley kind of guy.

Comment

[...]
                    I guess I was just sort of venting my frustrations at the lack of choices in the compact truck category. I was taking a bit of license and using "must" in that rhetorical, longing sort of way. You know, like "surely, there 'must' be a way to convey the subtleties of spoken language in text". Either way, it's a fruitless longing, I'm aware.
                    FWIW, it was easily apparent to me what you were implying.
                    I didn't realize HawaiiThreads was such an unforgiving audience. Maybe I need to use more smileys. I'm just not a smiley kind of guy.
                    For the most part, HTers tend to get it. Then there are those who take the fun out of dysfunctional. Fortunately there are more of the former. If it helps, you can always use the "ignore" feature.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                      Tutu, give us an update on your hybrid. I know you don't drive it that much, but I think you've had it for almost a year now. Tempus fugit.
                      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Thanks, Tutu!

If it helps, you can always use the "ignore" feature.
                        Oh no! I didn't mean to imply Frankie was bothering me or irritating me. I certainly hope he doesn't get that impression either. This wouldn't be the first time I've had my rhetoric or sarcasm being taken the wrong way. You'd think by now I'd learn.

When I go back and reread my post, I can see why Frankie responded the way he did. I've been guilty of being too serious on forums too. It's not a problem in the least, but thanks, Tutu, for your concern!

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                          Tutu, give us an update on your hybrid. I know you don't drive it that much, but I think you've had it for almost a year now. Tempus fugit.
                          I'm still loving it after 3200 miles and 11 months! 85% of my driving is around town so I don't get the same great mileage as folks on the mainland who get to take their cars out for long stretches. Still, I went from 12-15 mpg to 35 mpg. No complaints, esp. with the current price of gas. Other than a fairly low lease payment, gas and insurance, I haven't spent a dime on the car. I like to fugit about my tempus, thank you very much!

How about yours? Hybrid, not tempus!

Comment

Oh no! I didn't mean to imply Frankie was bothering me or irritating me. I certainly hope he doesn't get that impression either. This wouldn't be the first time I've had my rhetoric or sarcasm being taken the wrong way. You'd think by now I'd learn.

When I go back and reread my post, I can see why Frankie responded the way he did. I've been guilty of being too serious on forums too. It's not a problem in the least, but thanks, Tutu, for your concern!
                            I didn't sense any irritation on your part, either. You have your POV on the matter, as do mine. It's all good.

Getting back to Cabanalane's original post, I just wanted to provide a sensible answer and an explanation to the question that seemed to be perplexing.... why are motorists in Hawaii purchasing larger, heavier pick-ups compared to 20 years ago, despite rising gas prices? And I wanted to point out that it's not just superficial reasons, like people simply more room for booming subwoofers or wanting to feel like the "King of the Road." There are practical considerations in the matter.

Think about this. Fifty years ago, nobody blinked an eyelash if a parent cradled an infant in the passenger seat of a moving car. Now fast forward to 2011: Even without the cops involved, if a parent does that nowadays, they're gonna get looks of disapproval from everyone passing by. The same thing is now beginning to happen with p/up truck drivers who load children on an open bed. I've seen it myself. Parents transporting their kids to school from the back of a pick-up getting looks of disdain from school staff and the other parents. But the same parent can avoid that disapproval if they could safely fasten their kids in the back seat of a crew cab.
                            Last edited by Frankie's Market; June 2, 2011, 06:38 PM.

Comment

The reason cars have gotten bigger is because of Government Safety Guidelines. With airbags and all that other safety equipment that has to be installed.

Comment

Working...
                              X