Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Origin Of "Shaka"

Aloha!
    I am an Island boy, born and raised in Hawaii. This past August, I left the Islands to attend Graduate School in San Francisco, California. I am living away from home for the first time. So far, the adjustment is going well. Primarily, because there are a significant number of students here from Hawaii.
    I have enjoyed giving information about the culture and language of our state, with the students that are not from Hawaii. These Non- Hawaii students are especially excited when I share snacks and treats that I receive from home!!
    One thing I have come across as I share the culture of Hawaii is the origin and meaning of the "shaka" sign. Growing up in Hawaii, I flashed the shaka sign all the time, yet, I took it for granted and never took the time to find out it's meaning. I have heard different versions of it's origin from some of the other Hawaii students here, wanted to be sure I am communicating an accurate account. So what is the origin of the shaka? I am sure, former Mayor Frank Fasi did not invent it! Or did He???

Re: The Origin Of "Shaka"

Originally posted by Keoni-San
    I am sure, former Mayor Frank Fasi did not invent it! Or did He???
    wow. amazing.
    fasi?!

Comment

This Wikipedia installment is a good start.

Here's an interesting Honolulu Advertiser article published recently on the restriction of "Shaka" hand signs at the Army's Camp Victory in Iraq.

Gotta' admit - those yellow foam Shaka glove signs that Fasi used during his campaigning years were quite clever and memorable!
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
        Gotta' admit - those yellow foam Shaka glove signs that Fasi used during his campaigning years were quite clever and memorable!
        And don't forget when Germy Harris wanted to continue using Shaka signs for all the construction projects! Frank was ready to put on the gloves. The signs were redesigned. Talk about "mine's bigger than yours." Frank is such a chest thumper.
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Here's the Star-Bulletin article referenced in Wikipedia:

http://starbulletin.com/2002/03/31/news/kokualine.html

Blaine
          Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...Jd?li=BB15ms5q

Taylor Lewan made the thumbs up sign to show that he would be okay. Then, he flash the "shaka" sign after. He spent five years blocking for Mariota for five years with the Titans.

Comment

Symbol of aloha: New documentary traces origins of the shaka (hawaiinewsnow.com)

Hele on, braddah.

Comment

Steve McGarrett did the shaka sign at the end of an episode of season four in 1972,

Comment

New bill would make the ‘shaka’ an official state gesture | KHON2

For or against?

Comment

Working...
                  X