X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bishop Museum Events & Exhibits

Sesame Street presents "The Body"
    Starting January 7th through April 2nd.

It's an amazing new educational attraction about the workings of our bodies. The kids are going to love it. I saw the staging and some of the exhibits getting set up. Full Sesame Street "look" and will be featuring Elmo, Oscar, Grover, and the rest of the gang.

Family Sunday is January 8th.

Here's a LINK to the Bishop Museum website.
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Re: Bishop Museum Events & Exhibits

Family Sunday at the Museum! Jan. 8th from 9 to 5. See ya's

Comment

My kids really wanted to see the new Sesame Workshop "The Body" exhibit in the Castle building. There was the usual "Member Preview" on Friday, but as ridiculous as it is, these are held in the evening. So it sounded like today's "Family Sunday" was the big day to go.

Of course, we love "Family Sunday," but it means huge crowds, long lines, no parking, and the occasional collsion or scuffle between kids.

We ended up going yesterday. And to our surprise, it wasn't that busy (at first). So our kids got to try every hands-on goodie at "The Body" exhibit without us getting lost in a crush of people. It was definitely a good decision.

But, if you want to see a little of "The Body" exhibit, I posted some cameraphone photos here.

Comment

i lament the placing a new building on the great lawn. blocking out the fab view of Honolulu and waiks...
        ah well, to teach more to more people, suppose it justifies it...
        but; the body? arachnoids? dinosaurs?
        wait. Isn't this museum the one that procaims: "Our mission is to record, preserve and tell the stories of Hawaii and the Pacific"

Comment

Museums everywhere are facing the same identity crisis, where market forces and public whims force many of them to devote significant resources to "infotainment," hands-on stuff, brand names like Elmo and Disney, etc. If they want to preserve and educate people about a culture, they're also going to have to try to pack them in... and while even I see how the scientist and archaeologist is going to wince at the new "theme park" feel of many museums nationwide, butts in seats (and crowds of kids) is part of the game.

And my kids love this stuff.

Of course, if there's a "real" museum exhibit at Bishop Museum worth a look (the rotating art exhibits in the Watamull Building are often forgotten gems), you can post them here too. But before Kimo helps derail another thread, I'd like to suggest a separate thread if anyone want to debate further the overall mission of Bishop Museum (certainly a hot topic, given other current events).

Comment

Howzit Kimo! Yeah I miss the great view of Hawaiian Hall from the freeway too. Oh well. The Science Adventure Center (New building on the Great Lawn) is all about Natural Science of Hawaii. So it is teaching more to more people about Hawaii. The Castle building on the other hand has the temporary exhibits that pass through. Usually nothing to do persay with Hawaii. For the past three months ended on Dec. 18th, the second floor had a photo gallery exhibit called Archipelago. Terra/Flauna/Flora of the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands. Not many people are lucky enough to go there, so I thought that was a pretty good exhibit also. Any way, The Museum does need to bring in the visitors to help support the rest of what the Museum does and the travelling exhibits do just that.

Comment

Here's a couple of neat things this month...

Research Seminar Series:
              Application of Fractal Geometry and Chaos Theory in Entomology. (the study of insects)
              Jan. 12th at 4pm., Paki Conference Room I

Traditions of the Pacific:
              Hawaiian Birds and Feathers Presentation.
              A 2-day presentation and workshop focusing on Hawaii's native birds and Lei hulu, the ancient Hawaiian practice of feather lei making and artistry.
              Jan. 26th at 6 to 8pm.
              Jan. 28th at 9 to 11am.

To reserve a seat or for more information,
              call 848-4189

Here's a LINK.

Comment

Native Hawaiian Arts Market April 1st and 2nd, 2006

This event celebrates the ideals of keeping traditions alive through authentic Hawaiian art by Native Hawaiian artists and cultural practitioners engaged in workshops and traditional Hawaiian performances. The event also serves as a look towards the future of the Bishop Museum, incorporating the views and voices of living Hawaiians so that we can illuminate and understand the past. This two-day celebration will represent the closing activities in MAMo 2006, Maoli Arts Month ,and features over 25 Native Hawaiian contemporary artists and cultural practitioners displaying, demonstrating and selling thier works.

Event-goers can also enjoy performances by Paula Fuga and the One Love Ohana Band, Kupa'aina, and highlights from "Wings of the Islands", a new show from Ohia Productions. The Native Hawaiian Arts Market is made possible with support from the Native Hawaiian Culture and Arts Program.

Comment

The Bishop Museum's Hawaiian Hall will be closing for major renovations on July 11th, 2006. Go now to see it the way we've all known it to be from kidtime.

Comment

do you know to what degree or how extreme the changes will be?
                    thanx!

Comment

I'm really not sure what the interior will look like when they're done. What I do know is that it is projected to take a couple of years to complete. There's a small courtyard area on the backside, that will be enclosed and an elevator installed to service both the Hawaiian and Polynesian Halls. A Hawaiiana exhibit will be placed in Castle Building on the 2nd floor, during the renovation period. As I learn more I will share it.

Comment

Taaanx!
                        I certainly hope the old beauty, charm, fixtures and beautiful old showcases are not altered at all. It would be a criminal shame to destroy the mana, essence, soul and character of Hawaiian Hall.

If it is altered in the manner i am fearful of, with the contemporary penchant for modernizing, then the Bishop museum will in effect lie to the public they serve and to the tradition and name of Bernice Pauahi Bishop, as the Bishop museum tells us they are dedicated to preserving the culture and natural history of Hawaii, and the rich history and customs of the Hawaiian people, and tells the story of life in Hawaii... Part and parcel of this tradition is what we know now and have known for decades as Hawaiian Hall, as it is now.
                        It would be ludicrous for a Museum of Old Hawaii to destroy the old Hawaiian Hall or to any degree alter the look or feel... and put in aluminum showcases, new tile floors, etc... I hope for the best but fear the worst.

The state has shown us for decades they do not respect or care about older structures or businesses. The bishop museum would be no exception.

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man
                          Native Hawaiian Arts Market April 1st and 2nd, 2006

This event celebrates the ideals of keeping traditions alive through authentic Hawaiian art by Native Hawaiian artists and cultural practitioners engaged in workshops and traditional Hawaiian performances. The event also serves as a look towards the future of the Bishop Museum, incorporating the views and voices of living Hawaiians so that we can illuminate and understand the past. This two-day celebration will represent the closing activities in MAMo 2006, Maoli Arts Month ,and features over 25 Native Hawaiian contemporary artists and cultural practitioners displaying, demonstrating and selling thier works.

Event-goers can also enjoy performances by Paula Fuga and the One Love Ohana Band, Kupa'aina, and highlights from "Wings of the Islands", a new show from Ohia Productions. The Native Hawaiian Arts Market is made possible with support from the Native Hawaiian Culture and Arts Program.

This starts today and is on tomarrow also. See you there!

Comment

This starts today and is on tomarrow also. See you there!
                            I forgot to mention that this event is free for Kama'aina and Military.

Comment

Hawaiian art by Native Hawaiian artists and cultural practitioners engaged in workshops and traditional Hawaiian performances.
                              This two-day celebration features over 25 Native Hawaiian contemporary artists and cultural practitioners displaying, demonstrating and selling thier works.
                              nope.
                              went there Saturday at about 3 pm and nothing but a buncha empty tents and two guys pounding poi.
                              Oh and a booth selling cookies.
                              oh yea. and one booth selling chili.

Comment

Working...
                              X