Satellite Radio comes to Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Satellite Radio comes to Hawaii

I'm likin' the passion... though i'm not really following the fight.

Tell you one thing though... it's the best reading I've seen here for weeks!

I think we're all in accord- that local programming "for the most part" is a

better thing than live direct satellite feeds.

That technology is wonderful if used sparingly... and not to the extent that

it replaces talent here. Augment fine... supersede... no.

As far as not knowing the name of a song... maybe you caught him right in

front of a bathroom break and he had something else on "his mind"...

Har Har - hardy har har!

lighten up kids... but keep the conversation rolling- it's all good.

Comment

Originally posted by kimohalliway
      All of you got your heads up your butts...If you are good enough, you will have a job. Stop crying and learn your craft. No matter what happens in radio Mike W. Perry will always have a job, because he is good. All of you burnt out rockjocks and oft fired so called radio announcers are pitiful. You are always blaming everyone else for your lack of talent.

I take it you're one of those kids who has no voice training and rides a skateboard...sorry I didn't mean to offend you, I figured you were better than that. There's nothing wrong with a nasal voice or riding skateboards.

No one's blaming anyone here kimohalliway. Heck if someone with a nasal voice is what the market wants, well the market gets. No blaming there. And nobody said anything about being fired. But being fired is a given anyway in radio. And if you don't know that by now, you haven't been in the biz long enough.

Nobody's crying here except the ones flaming apathy. I don't know where you get off generalizing those of us here but keep the ass comments to yourself, there is this thing called tact and in life you will understand it's benefits.

Mel sure didn't deserve that comment outta left field, no one deserves that kind of F@#ked up attitude. We're all adults here right? RIGHT? Oh I forget there's no age requirement here. Let's be mature no need to be rude.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
        No one's blaming anyone here kimohalliway. Heck if someone with a nasal voice is what the market wants, well the market gets.
        Sorry to be so cynical, but you give too much credit to "the market" for knowing "what it wants".

"The Market" will swallow anything mainstream media (whether it be radio, TV or print) will force down it's throat, because more often than not, "the Market" doesn't have much other choice (or simply doesn't care to begin with). It sounds insulting, but I only need to point out the commercialization and commoditization of "alternative" music that happened ever since Nirvana's "Nevermind" to prove that the masses buy into things (at least when media and culture is concerned) not because they ACTUALLY like it, but because marketers have brainwashed them into THINKING they like it.

I remember back in the early 90's, when the very same people who made fun of me in highschool for liking bands like The Cure were now singing along to "Friday Im in Love", and saying how great the Cure was, simply because Michael Qseng (or whatever vapid DJ was on the air at KQMQ or I-94 at the time) had deemed it "okay" to listen to that stuff now. That's definitely ?NOT "the market" determining what corporate radio delivers to them...and it's certainly not an isolated example. It's pretty much par for the course, now.

As an aside, the quality of an on-air jock has nothing to do with whether they've had "voice training" or not (at least in my opinion). That's like saying Steely Dan is "better" than The Ramones because they play with more scales and complex time-signatures. Some of the most interesting radio personalities of all time have also had very mediocre voices.

Oh and btw, I swear I'm not a communist!

Comment

You may have something there.. about the audience not caring.

The real hitch is that everybody's doing too many things...
          there's really too many distractions...
          there's way too many options...

since we have to sift through all this... the real question becomes...
          "what have you done for me lately'... OR "why should I care?"

In moments of lapse between things that captivate us... mediocre slips in.
          takes root, becomes routine, familiar... and "money" sees that, treats it like a commodity, something to sell, something to profit from.

And there you have it... we're all liking... Seinfeld.

Comment

Originally posted by Radiohead
            Mel, haven't you noticed the Clear Channel's, The Cox's and now Visionary's have consolidated positions and eliminated jobs, locally.
            sounds like somebody who has gotten fired and NOW everything is too corporate, puhleeeeeze.

you werent cutting it...it's ratings and revenue, simple equation.
            Last edited by mel; October 16, 2004, 06:39 AM. Reason: added closing quote tag to fix formatting

Comment

Originally posted by melorama
              Sorry to be so cynical, but you give too much credit to "the market" for knowing "what it wants".

I don't want to give credit to what's going on in the kind of sound a radio station wants in their jocks, I think a jock's voice should be a cut above street talk. The radio stations seem to cater to the hotter music styles nowdays meaning younger and younger crowds (or is it I'm just getting older and older), and for that the music listener seems to want to hear a jock that sounds like them, talk their language, can relate to. My 20, 17 and 15-year old boys think Perry and Price sound "Lamo". They even think Star 101.9 is Lame. It's not alternative enough for them. To them the more nerdy/nasal the sound the better the jock cuz it sounds like them.

I was shaking my head, first I tell them you don't know what music is listening to that headbanger crap, second it takes talent to crack a mic (or I thought) and command an audience, and third why am I trying to reason with kids? Their minds haven't developed that part yet I may as well talk to a rock.

But it's their generation that is buying the albums that fuel the radio market. Those songs dominate the clothing, food, and whatever else is hip markets so in a way whatever the market wants, the market gets and it's driven by today's youth who have these sinful spending habits.

But to think, this up and coming generation think P&P are lame tells me that the next KSSK morning duo will probably have a more hip sound. I mean look at Jay Leno. NBC's decision to use Conan was based on O'brians youthful target audience, and that change is due in what 5-years? Is that a comparable barometer of change for P&P's market pull?

Or will CC begin focusing on its more hip stations to carry the flagship status and let KSSK die an honorable death? If NBC thinks five years is time to move the Tonight Show's target age from Leno to O'brian then maybe in five years there will be a dramatic shift in what's number one in Honolulu Radio.

Comment

Or will CC begin focusing on its more hip stations to carry the flagship status and let KSSK die an honorable death? If NBC thinks five years is time to move the Tonight Show's target age from Leno to O'brian then maybe in five years there will be a dramatic shift in what's number one in Honolulu Radio.
                So if we went with that theory would it be Lanai and Augie or Hudson and Scotty B. that become the new Perry & Price of the future? Oh wait... Star 101.9 is too square... hmmm... we are in trouble. Maybe Rory Wild and Greg Hammer... or are all of these people too old already?
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Can't we order a Satellite Radio Receiver, and tune in?

I don't want to change to dish network (my family has been using OC since they moved here, and I don't think they'll change just for satellite radio.)
                  How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by adri1456
                    Can't we order a Satellite Radio Receiver, and tune in?
                    At this point in time the answer to that is "no". I don't know what the technological differences are between Sirius and XM, but I think the hardware for one would not work with the other, nor would using satellite TV gear allow you to pick up either.

Originally posted by adri1456
                    I don't want to change to dish network (my family has been using OC since they moved here, and I don't think they'll change just for satellite radio.)
                    You already have Music Choice as well as some of the local FM radio stations if you have Oceanic Cable digital.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                      So if we went with that theory would it be Lanai and Augie or Hudson and Scotty B. that become the new Perry & Price of the future? Oh wait... Star 101.9 is too square... hmmm... we are in trouble. Maybe Rory Wild and Greg Hammer... or are all of these people too old already?
                      Million dollar answer...well maybe. Rory Wild and Greg Hammer is a good possibility. They're a good intermediary, Rory is the same age as me.

I spoke with Rory a while back and...well don't be surprized.

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                        You already have Music Choice as well as some of the local FM radio stations if you have Oceanic Cable digital.
                        I forgot about those. Is there a way of listening to those on my computer, or do I have to run on the cable box to listen?
                        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Million dollar answer...well maybe. Rory Wild and Greg Hammer is a good possibility. They're a good intermediary, Rory is the same age as me.

I spoke with Rory a while back and...well don't be surprized.
                          I remember listening to Rory when he used to be on KISA 1540 AM. I think Tom Dancer was also there spinning disco hits or something in the latter part of his career. You know, Rory probably deserves a shot because he's been around for quite a long time now.

As for satellite radio.... hmmm... I guess no more in Hawaii so it is no wonder this topic has wandered all over the place.

Adri, sorry I don't know if Oceanic Digital can be used in conjunction with a computer. That would be interesting to know.
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

XM radio in Hawaii

The item below is from the publisher of a major boating magazine (currently cruising in Mexico) who had inquired to XM about coverage; I thought you might like to see what he reported:

------------------

December 22 - from the West Coast of Mexico

"Regarding your coverage question," responded XM radio officials, "XM is only licensed to provide service to the United States (all states except Alaska and Hawaii), its territories, and adjacent waters. Outside of these areas XM is very careful to not exceed the signal strength defined by international regulations. At some locations outside the defined service area, however, even if XM is within the transmission limits, the signal level is still strong enough for you to get service. In general, it is not easy to answer coverage questions for locations outside of the U.S. since XM has not designed the system to work and has not tested outside the U.S."
                            That said, our XM radio had worked great as far south as Acapulco, at which point it doesn't get a signal.

--------------------

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Re: XM radio in Hawaii

So it won't be avail in Hawaii?

Comment

Re: XM radio in Hawaii

Originally posted by Macka
                                So it won't be avail in Hawaii?
                                Satellites don't reach/don't point out here...

Comment

Working...
                                X