View Poll Results: What is your favorite type of Mushroom? Descriptions http://www.mushroomcouncil.org

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • White Mushrooms

3 16.67%
  • Crimini Mushrooms

3 16.67%
  • Portabella Mushrooms

3 16.67%
  • Oyster Mushrooms

1 5.56%
  • Shiitake Mushrooms

4 22.22%
  • Enoki Mushrooms

1 5.56%
  • Beech Mushrooms

0 0%
  • Maitake Mushrooms

0 0%
  • Other Not listed.

3 16.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mushrooms

Default Mushrooms

I love mushrooms....

Doesn't seem to matter what kind... a little garlic and salt and Sautee... they are all good.
    Did you know they actually have a Mushroom council?
    http://www.mushroomcouncil.org/
    So what's your favorite?

I'm just putting in the options that were on the website.
    Last edited by damontucker; August 29th, 2006 at 09:25 PM.

Default Re: Mushrooms

I like plain white mushrooms , if they are hard and fresh ,best - like you said garlic ( but plenty!) and salt and a good quality real butter.....

Brok da mout!

hehe, I usully try to eat something like broiled Mahi when I am at work , to stay away from the meat and whatnot...but always end up covering the mahi in a solid layer of mushrooms sauteed in real butter and a load of garlic. Oh well, so much for healthy!

I have actually not had the chance to try portabellos, but have tried most of the others.
    It doesn't take money to make someone smile for a little bit. All it takes is Aloha. ~ Auntie Lynn

I LOOOOOOOVE mushrooms...all kinds of mushrooms. Well, not ALL kinds! Portabellos are my favorite, tho'...
    stuffed with crab salad
    as a base for pizza toppings
    portabello burgers
    marinated and grilled
    as a meat substitute
    sliced and sauteed in, yes, butter and garlic
    drizzled in hot fudge with a dollop of whipped cream (nah...j/k!)

Dang...now I'm hungry!

I've always enjoyed shiitakes for their intense, earthy flavor...they go well in the vegetable chow meins I enjoy on occasion. One mushroom-related wild food I used to enjoy from Hawaii was pepeiao. It was fun searching for them in the forest reserves with my kupuna...they always knew where to find them.

baby ones cooked in butter yummy
    *Lorna* I'M BACK MISSING HAWAII
    http://www.myspace.com/lorna_uk

Once again, as with the cheese poll, I gotta say all of the above--but again it's not one of the options!

Cremini musrooms sauteed with garlic, olive oil, dried basil, garlic salt, grated parmesan and red wine, served over filet mignon cooked on the bbq with garlic salt and red wine poured over top while cooking...medium well.

ono ono ono :-P

Allergic to 'em, so I gotta vote "none of the above."

Quote Originally Posted by tikiyaki
    Cremini musrooms sauteed with garlic, olive oil, dried basil, garlic salt, grated parmesan and red wine, served over filet mignon cooked on the bbq with garlic salt and red wine poured over top while cooking...medium well.

ono ono ono
    Oh yeah! Sounds like a plan for the Labor Day weekend!

F-Y-I, a Crimini is basically a "baby" Portobello. Crimini has a similar texture and size to whites, but are "meatier" and just have more flavor. Tropics and Marukai in Ward Farmers' Market bring them in now and then at really good prices. Marukai also occasionally imports some exotic Japanese varieties that sell for like $100/lb., no joke.

Basic whites are great too, and my choice for using on a swiss 'n 'shroom burger.

Here's an ala carte mushroom dish we ordered recently at the Hyatt Waikiki's Colony restaurant (no, the Orchid isn't a mushroom)...

Mushroom Ragout: Portobello and Button Mushrooms (there's also another variety in there) infused with Garlic, Chardonnay Wine and Molokai Thyme

Mushrooms so rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Pomai
    [...]Mushroom Ragout: Portobello and Button Mushrooms (there's also another variety in there) infused with Garlic, Chardonnay Wine and Molokai Thyme[...]
    Oh my God!!! That's nirvana!

Look like some skinny enoki mushrooms in there.

Big City Diner makes a fantastic Portobello burger!

Lobster mushrooms are great! I have found them dried, but would like to try them fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ogata
    Lobster mushrooms are great! I have found them dried, but would like to try them fresh.
    Interesting. I'd not heard of lobster mushrooms before. It's a parasitic mold. So, Paul, do they, ummm, make you even funnier than you already are?

Anyone choose "Other Not listed" because they prefer the psychotropic kine?
    (Now, I'm not speaking from personal experience, remember...allergic-boy speaking here...I did my share of "experimentation" decades ago, but never with 'shrooms.)

Quote Originally Posted by tutusue
    Interesting. I'd not heard of lobster mushrooms before. It's a parasitic mold. So, Paul, do they, ummm, make you even funnier than you already are?
    I just ate a bunch right now and am experiencing no side-effdkl; aq34irfnm,as nmdslkfnalierfakds; al;dksjfena1 nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Hmmm, hence his nickname, "Mental Oriental."

That was funny!

I wish I could have voted for more that one variety because I'm DEFINITELY a 'shroom fan.

Sauteed in butter and garlic and maybe just maybe a splash of white wine or something stronger ... wow.

My first memory of loving mushrooms were the little, canned button mushrooms my mom would put in her spaghetti sauce. I'd go digging through my plate to find 'em and eat 'em first. Which was joyous, until it left my plate with no more to enjoy as I ate the spaghetti.

Being Japanese, Mom also used shiitake mushrooms in many dishes I ate growing up ... so I love those. Certain dishes just aren't the same without shiitakes and some of the reserved soaking water.

Fresh white mushrooms are wonderful in salads ... and the first time I ate stuffed mushrooms I HAD to replicate the recipe at home using those big, broiler mushrooms. Gosh it's been awhile since I've made that dish.

Enoki mushrooms are nice in salads but they can also be sauteed briefly and are wonderfully delicate! Yum.

Portobellos are definitely among my faves, drizzled with garlic-infused olive oil, sprinkled with S & P and grilled; served in a burger topped with melted cheese ... I've not met one I haven't loved.

There are many varieties I'd love to try ... but either they're a little pricey or I can't find 'em ... you know, the exotic ones you see on Food Network.

I LOVE them shroomies. Pomai, your shroom-p0rn made me salivate ... but then again, your food-p0rn always does.
    I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio
    (Now, I'm not speaking from personal experience, remember...allergic-boy speaking here...I did my share of "experimentation" decades ago, but never with 'shrooms.)
    Menehune hasn't found this thread yet

Quote Originally Posted by Erika Engle
    Pomai, your shroom-p0rn made me salivate ... but then again, your food-p0rn always does.
    Then my new Triangle Musubi Avatar must be rated triple XXX then. Such a sexy couple.

I also like Portobello, but usually I scrape the gills from under the cap, as it has too much of an earthy, dirty flavor to it. That can be challenge though, as the spoon can easily break up the flesh of the cap.

One way I prepare Portobello is by cutting it into strips and sautee it with yellow, red and green bell peppers, garlic, thyme and basil, with just a few pieces of Italian Sausage for added flavor. Put all that on a plate of hot fetuccini.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ogata
    I just ate a bunch right now and am experiencing no side-effdkl; aq34irfnm,as nmdslkfnalierfakds; al;dksjfena1 nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
    has anyone heard from Mr. Ogata?

Hope he's not dead at the kitchen table!

Quote Originally Posted by manoasurfer123
    has anyone heard from Mr. Ogata?

Hope he's not dead at the kitchen table!
    Nah. Heʻs probably still trippinʻ at some 24 hour "rave" club in LA with his lobster orange colored glow sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by Pomai
    One way I prepare Portobello is by cutting it into strips and sautee it with yellow, red and green bell peppers, garlic, thyme and basil, with just a few pieces of Italian Sausage for added flavor. Put all that on a plate of hot fetuccini.
    I have not tried portobellos yet, mostly just to lazy to figure what to do wit um- but dam, Pomai...that sounds mighty tasty!!

Btw, I looked in at the Tasty Island last night.. bad mistake at 1200am , since it made me soooo hungry, and nothing open (Zippys dont count) on the windward side.

Impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio

Tried them, wasnt impressed - acid was soo much more fun
    sigh... I had such a twisted time growing up here in the late 70s - 80s...
    Thank God I finally grew up
    Last edited by Kahalu'u_Chrome; September 3rd, 2006 at 06:15 PM.
    It doesn't take money to make someone smile for a little bit. All it takes is Aloha. ~ Auntie Lynn

So Costco was recently giving out samples of these Shiitake Slices, simmered in Yoshida's Teriyaki Sauce. Well, one try and I was sold! It's amazing how fresh these dehydrated mushrooms taste after they're reconstituted in hot water. You simply steep them in boiling water for 15 minutes, drain well and put in sauce pan with Yoshida's sauce and simmer for about 15 minutes to let the flavor penetrate into the mushrooms. Sugoi oishiii desu!

I find these Shiitake to have a less earthy - more meaty flavor than Portobello, with a slightly more chewy, yet still tender texture. Definately great if you're vegetarian. The package says Shiitake have 0 fat, are rich in anti-oxidants and fiber and include 8 essential amino acids, vitamin B complex and niacin.

So I sautéed some up the other night with butter (margarine actually) and garlic and topped a Teddy's Burger with it. Oh man! Shiitake Mushroom Burger.. what a concept! The chewy-meatiness of the Shiitake added almost a 3rd dimension to the grilled beef patty. Maybe a little too bold than some might like, but I thought it tasted great.

Darned those food samples almost always sell me. lol

Shiitake Mushroom Slices - the whiter ones on the left are in dehydrated form, on the right have been reconstituted in hot water.

16 oz. (1 lb.) - $10.99

Portobellos are also excellent grilled, where they can substitute for a hamburger patty. Top with roasted red peppers, onion slices, lettuce and put between a whole wheat hamburger bun with a little mayo, it's onolicious.

I use reconstituted shiitake mushrooms when I make katsu donburi, too. I just plop a couple into chicken stock and let them plump up, then I take them out and slice them and put them back into the stock, add some beaten egg and cook the eggs until soft, add a few green onion slivers and pour over a bowl of hot rice which has slices of tonkatsu on it...another quick, ono meal.

Did you know that brown button mushrooms (crimini) are just baby Portobellos?

Miulang

I almost always use dried shiitake mushrooms (I always put 'em on my burgers, sukiyaki...oh just about anything really). They're just easy to store and pretty reasonable, I think.

My husband loves Portobello Mushroom Fries. I think they're just ok, but he l-o-v-e-s them.

I've always wanted to go mushroom hunting. Not just randomly, but with someone who knows what they're doing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast